Just worked a deal on this 69 Newport factory four color car.

Well, been working off the car and parts and found some good stuff up there

Nice. Sounds like you've gotten off to a good start. Finding that dry donor car was a big plus. I think we'll be witness to an awesome car. I look forward to following the progress on this unusual car.

I am even more excited about this car now. A new friend of mine and a great asset to the C-body, and mopar hobby overall is supplying me with a hurst 300 hood. I am trying to decide if I want to build a 440 for it or a 451 stroker out of a 400 block.

Hi Jeremy,

you bought the Sportsgrain 69 Newport in an interesting colour combo.
Now you want to put 69 300 bumpers/grill on it and maybe even a Hurst hood?

If you want to go into the "custom" direction why have you choosen such an unusual model ?

Your car, your decision but a Hurst hood and sportsgrain on the side doesn't sound right in my ears at all IMHO

Carsten

The parts car (if the nose-less car is the donor) is a New Yorker.

Carston, I took what was available to me. I really wanted a 69 300, but this Newport is close and available. It is a very unique car, but it's been for sale and sitting in a wrecking yard for 15 years and no one saved it till I did. So as unique as it is, and possibly a one of one car. No one else loved it enough. They way I have it pictured in my head, it will look good.

I remember this being called Sportsgrain, but could also be called differently during the model years.

Also wasn't this DiNoc woodgrain translucent, showing a bit the Color of the paintjob through, or do I mix this up with some other brand of car ?

I don't recall ever seeing anything like a translucent woodgrain on any car on this side of the pond Klaus but I may not have been paying attention.

I don't see any pics.

The 1973 Dodge wagons in the dealer brochure as I recall were cited as having a translucent woodgrain, where you could see the body color underneath it slightly. My Monaco wagon woodgrain is faded a little, so it is hard to see that effect though. I will have to check that reference when I locate that brochure again..........................

I am even more excited about this car now. A new friend of mine and a great asset to the C-body, and mopar hobby overall is supplying me with a hurst 300 hood. I am trying to decide if I want to build a 440 for it or a 451 stroker out of a 400 block.

I have to say I love the 300 front and rear treatments...but a Hurst 300 hood....Don't see it working in my minds eye.

Carston, I took what was available to me. I really wanted a 69 300, but this Newport is close and available. It is a very unique car, but it's been for sale and sitting in a wrecking yard for 15 years and no one saved it till I did. So as unique as it is, and possibly a one of one car. No one else loved it enough. They way I have it pictured in my head, it will look good.

Jeremy,

I agree with you. You saved it and no one else stepped up to do it. So the car would have probably died.
Good luck with the project.

Hope you find a decent 300 to do

Carsten

I don't recall ever seeing anything like a translucent woodgrain on any car on this side of the pond Klaus but I may not have been paying attention.

I can't cite a specific source, but I do recall reading something about that recently. Also, there were some model years where the woodgrain on the tailgate/rear door was reflective - promoted as a safety feature.

I remember this being called Sportsgrain, but could also be called differently during the model years.

Also wasn't this DiNoc woodgrain translucent, showing a bit the Color of the paintjob through, or do I mix this up with some other brand of car ?

It's "sportgrain"......... Sportsgrain is like saying sports fury, incorrect.

The dinoc was a colored vinal with a grained overlay. They usually would seperate with age and the grained on clear would lift off.

Hi Jeremy,

you bought the Sportsgrain 69 Newport in an interesting colour combo.
Now you want to put 69 300 bumpers/grill on it and maybe even a Hurst hood?

If you want to go into the "custom" direction why have you choosen such an unusual model ?

Your car, your decision but a Hurst hood and sportsgrain on the side doesn't sound right in my ears at all IMHO

I have to agree with Carsten. Funky wheels & tires .... sure, OK. But the Hurst hood, (unatractive to begin with), and a hot rod motor are really unnessary. You'll lose the focus of the car. But .... as mentioned so many times, It's your car.

Now that you have something interesting to trade, maybe you can find someone with a much more common 300 to swap with.

A woodgrain 300Hurst....
Ummmm.... No.
A 300Hurst woodgrain...
Hmmm. Once again, No.
It's your car :D

Posted via Topify on Android

Back