Just worked a deal on this 69 Newport factory four color car.

65 Fury's had a similar one optional .. not the best look IMHO

mopp_0312_01_z%2B1965_plymouth_sport_fury%2Bchrome_front_bumper.jpg

W/o

1965-Plymouth-Fury-03-04.jpg

What are you saying kmccabe? I'm talking about the bumper guard

I thought we were still talking about the woodgrain treatment on the side of the car. Yes, that bumper guard on the '65 Plymouth looks like a last minute after thought. Either the product planning guys forgot to ask for design to whip one up, or it was a last minute knee-jerk response to "where's the optional front bumper guard?"

I thought we were still talking about the woodgrain treatment on the side of the car. Yes, that bumper guard on the '65 Plymouth looks like a last minute after thought. Either the product planning guys forgot to ask for design to whip one up, or it was a last minute knee-jerk response to "where's the optional front bumper guard?"

LOL ....... yeah, got me on that one too. I was thinking "wood grain on a 65 Fury.....?

As for the front grille guard ....... My 69 300 parts car had one on it. As wimpy as it looks it is backed up by a very sturdy bracket and bolts. The weak link would be the bumper itself if hit hard enough.

Sorry Kevin I was responding to this

I can't look up exact numbers on these A58s for the U.S., but I can look up Canada. I think calling production around 200 is a pretty fair number. It's really impressive that all of this stuff was hung on an "E" trim level car. That's the "Economy" Chrysler! Also interesting to see how late a build the car has. I'll echo the other poster who mentioned how great it would be to find a broadcast sheet for this car. As to the missing piece of trim, you might get lucky and (a) find it in the grass under the car, or (b) maybe the corresponding piece from a T&C wagon might fit. Chrysler cobbled up this package as cheaply as they could, so they're going to use as many existing parts bin pieces as they can to carry it off. The crest on the quarter by the nameplate "may" (can't say for sure) be part of the package. A9, the charcoal metallic that this car started life with was used in '69 for the first time and only used through 1970. That front bumper guard as wimpy looking as it is, was what you got when you ordered a front guard. Might work as a low speak beak protector, but not much more.

Excellent find. I hope your cool plan includes a resto on the paint, woodgrain and interior.

Which was two posts above my response

Unfortunately I think Mac was working on a response at the same time and came out between your post and my comment

We pulled the Newport out. It's not as bad as I was expecting, but will need a little work on the floor. Also while I was up there, I found a complete 69 300 bumper and tail lights and think that I will swap over to them. Probably going to upset the purists a bit, but I love those tail lights. I also found a complete build sheet in the newport, Maybe someone can tell me anything cool about it. Can you tell me what rear gears and if its a suregrip?

Jeremy, it looks like the axle code is D51 which is the 2.76 ratio non-sure grip. My main code sheet does not show a Y48 code, but another one that I sometimes use says that Y48 is a transmission sump guard, which I guess means some kind of protector for the trans pan - so for the Y48, I suspect it must mean something else since I have never seen a transmission sump guard on a C body. If you look, though, you just might see something like that there.

Very cool. Glad you found a nice broadcast sheet!

I say go for the 300 bumper and lights. And even toss in a front hide away grille if you can find one. ;)

Y48 does not show up in my books. The "Y" codes are usually part of special order things.

There's actually a 69 300 grille up there, but it's missing the surround. I hope to find one and switch it over though. I really don't like the Newport grille much. I will probably rat hole all the Newport parts as the rear has a panel that is woodgrain too, but the 300 has some awesome tail lights.

Does anyone know what Y48 at the bottom means?

Y codes are usually a delivery or handeling designation. I'm not sure what the 48 means but examples are Y16 = sales bank, Y39 = special order .... etc.

The 300 bumper will not have cutouts for the park/turn sig lights. They were mounted in the grille surround.

Does anyone know what Y48 at the bottom means?
Very kool car, congrats! I show Y48 as "Delete rear bumper guards".
The bumper guards were standard on the A15 "spring special" package and whoever ordered this one didn't like the rears.

I'm seeing Y-codes as stuff like "dealer Demo car" and "Show Paint finish", which makes some kind of sense with the oddball colors and trim...

I think it will be a really cool car. It kind of looks red, lol. Hopefully I can pick it up in the next little while, I just need to find a place to put it.

Late to this thread. I know the idea of a rat rod is anathema to most here but that car has an awesome patina to it. Spray it with clear and leave it alone.

Back