Late model wheels

mustrick

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I just bought a 68 new yorker coupe. My plan is to drive it to local cruise nights and maybe hot rod it out a little 1st I'll tint the windows, then I would like to add some nice black wheels. Like some torque thrusts or simular, The mustang bullet wheels are easily avalible used on CL with tires cheep, has anyone ever checked to see how backspacing is? What are you guys running, if your running aftermarket wheel? Whats the offset / backspacing? What size tire do you run? I would like to stay with 17" or 18". Post some pictures if you have them. Thanks in advance for the help.

Welcome Mustrick. We need to see pics of that 68 Ny'r machine of yours, a coup...I bet its sweet. Pics are long standing rule here.:eek:ccasion14:

The Mustang Bullitt wheels are offset quite a bit and WILL require adapters/spacers to run on your car. The Bullitt wheels are 115mm bolt pattern, and your car is 4-1/2" - they are NOT the same! So, your adapters will have to be sized accordingly.

Here are some pics. I have not gotten it out of the barn yet. IMG_0724.jpgIMG_0727.jpg

IMG_0724.jpg

IMG_0727.jpg

I'd go with 17" or 18" wheels,nothing really any bigger.They just don't look right when you loose too much sidewall tire.Not positive but if I remember correctly,I think the backspacing is around 4 1/2" or 4 3/4".I've got a 67 NYer Coupe and plan on going that route too.Just be careful you have enough clearance for those rear fender skirts.Black wheels would really pop with that color,but get something with a chrome lip to highlight the wheel so it doesn't look lost under there.Another thing to watch out for would be keeping the same overall outside diameter of your new wheel/tire combo to your existing one(which I believe is somewhere around 27"?),otherwise your speedometer won't show your correct mph readings.

Good Mooneyes are never cheap, but that are cheapies out there that will keep you and your polishing clotch really busy. I lucked out (kinda) on my 65. Years ago I bought a set of 500s for my 68 Chevelle. Get them home and they are marked MOPAR on the back. When I bought my gentelmens cruiser, it had the chome bases to wire wheels and spinners. But no wires or spinners, with a set ogf 185/75/14 doughnuts on it. I have tons of tires laying around so I took some Olds centers, the 500s, and a few nice BFGs and got a really cool look after I took the side skirts off.

Stan, are these stock wheels? I assume the moons are cheap$$??
Tom Denkler
Stock original OEM wheels.
Cheap Chinese Baby Moon tin stampings. I give them 2 years.
By then, I'll need tires. Upgrade to 15" repro black steelies, fat BW tires, and gen-you-wine Baby Moons.
BitterSweet is a DD. The NYB sits up on a pedestal as useless as tits on a bull.

In my opinion, modern offset wheels look horrible on any vintage car. From chryslers, to Vettes, mustangs, and anything inbetween... It just doesn't look right.

I love Magnum 500, but they just don't look right on 65 Sport Fury.
I like your setup.
Either black or red with moons. Wonder what size wheel was standard on these in 65?
Thanks for info,

Tom D

I love Magnum 500, but they just don't look right on 65 Sport Fury.
I like your setup.
Either black or red with moons. Wonder what size wheel was standard on these in 65?
Thanks for info,

Tom D

14" x 5.5" JJ on sedans and hardtops; 14" x 6" on cop cars and station wagons.

Very nice! Definitely ditch the WallyWorld covers! Those 15" wheels/tires fill the wheel wells nicely.

Here is my '68 Polara that I just put Year One magnums on. 17x8's on the front w/245/45's and 4.5" backspacing. 17x9's on the back w/275/40's and 5.125" backspacing. I spent a lot of time looking at what others had done as well and trying to figure out what would work. With this setup the rear has about an inch of room between the tire and leaf spring so you couldn't go much wider. The front still has a decent amount of room. I had tried finding tires with more sidewall. I was hoping to go with 55 series on the front and 50 series on the back. Nitto makes some but the tire shop I went with couldn't find any and I was wanting to get it out on the road.IMG_20140509_163931.jpg

IMG_20140509_163931.jpg

Back