LCA play(slop)

Reaction score
I can't find this info anywhere I have looked.
How "loose" should the LCA be on the torsion bar/LCA bushing mount? The right side feels tight (i.e. no for to aft play), but the left has some for to aft play and I can prob move it at the lower ball joint attachment approx 1/2 inch. All this movement is between the where LCA(B) and the torsion bar/LCA bushing(A) are connected.
LCA.jpg

If the movement is forward and back of half an inch between part A and part B, then you have a worn lower control arm that needs replacing, there should be no forward or backward movement. Part A and B are expected to pivot within one another but cannot be separated and are considered all part of a single lower control arm unit.

google up lca plates

when you plate the bottom, you can take the slop out, did it to mine - havent had it on the road yet, but its easy enough to do or have done - reduces torsional twist and improves steering (so ive read on countless pages)

lca_b.jpg

5418670-LCAweldprocedure.jpg

I have 1/8 plate and the ability to make them, I was going to plate them anyway, I will try that. It worried me that the slop was going to make an alignment impossible, if I have to can the control arm be pressed appart? Or is it put together and not to be serviced? I have access to a machine shop and could make a bushing for the LCA and weld it to it.

I have 1/8 plate and the ability to make them, I was going to plate them anyway, I will try that. It worried me that the slop was going to make an alignment impossible, if I have to can the control arm be pressed appart? Or is it put together and not to be serviced? I have access to a machine shop and could make a bushing for the LCA and weld it to it.
The units are riveted together by those three studs in the side you can see near the ball joint mount, they are large. If you grind them off then you can take the unit apart. You would then have to find some other method of riveting them together again, or welding. If you feel you are up to it, pull it apart and see.

Back