Lets Play A Game: Last Of The Convertibles

That is possibly the first 70 300 convert built. It's using the 69 440 K code engine designation.

View attachment 235474

20181206_080346.jpg

I bought a convertible yesterday. Not a C Body- by far! - but still a sweet one. Only had 57,000 miles and it's a 2002!View attachment 235333 View attachment 235334 View attachment 235335 View attachment 235336 View attachment 235337
I just gave one of those away LOL !!! It racked up 150k mostly trouble free miles. Had to go so I could park in my own garage. It’s one of the cheapest fun cars around right now hope you got a smokin deal !!!

0347DDD2-D7D4-4DF9-B890-4B39167250E7.jpeg

Watch this coolant junction like a hawk. Ours leaked from new and defeated me the dealer and our best local garage. We eventually learned to ignore a whiff of coolant every now and then. Besides that one thing it was a great car.

7CB24836-A02C-4B6A-A0F1-7904FE052C96.jpeg

Last edited:
I just gave one of those away LOL !!! It racked up 150k mostly trouble free miles. Had to go so I could park in my own garage. It’s one of the cheapest fun cars around right now hope you got a smokin deal !!!

View attachment 236125

Watch this coolant junction like a hawk. Ours leaked from new and defeated me the dealer and our best local garage. We eventually learned to ignore a whiff of coolant every now and then. Besides that one thing it was a great car.

View attachment 236126
Because of that motor I didn't want to buy this car. The CL ad said 4 cylinder; that's why I drove to Sac Town to look at it. Was not surprised to see the 2.7, but was disappointed. Seeing the condition I drove it... and liked it! So I called my buddy Big Chris Fredericksen who had told me in 2009 to avoid that motor. He had said it's a $1,500 job to replace the water pump!

Upon my call he said now that ten years has gone by he thinks these are excellent motors, but he still hates the water pump. He said if all things appear good, buy it. I did! (He's a professional mechanic who's opinion I highly value.)

But, it's not for me! It's for my son; I'm replacing his 1996 Dodge 1500 Pace Truck. Jerry is commuting in his new job and the 15 MPG is eating him up. Plus, the truck, with over 180,000 miles, has become unreliable. I am going to swap with him, do some work on his truck, and then sell it. I'm hoping to get 2 grand at a minimum. If I do, the Sebring cost me $1,000. Not bad!

Because of that motor I didn't want to buy this car. The CL ad said 4 cylinder; that's why I drove to Sac Town to look at it. Was not surprised to see the 2.7, but was disappointed. Seeing the condition I drove it... and liked it! So I called my buddy Big Chris Fredericksen who had told me in 2009 to avoid that motor. He had said it's a $1,500 job to replace the water pump!

Upon my call he said now that ten years has gone by he thinks these are excellent motors, but he still hates the water pump. He said if all things appear good, buy it. I did! (He's a professional mechanic who's opinion I highly value.)

But, it's not for me! It's for my son; I'm replacing his 1996 Dodge 1500 Pace Truck. Jerry is commuting in his new job and the 15 MPG is eating him up. Plus, the truck, with over 180,000 miles, has become unreliable. I am going to swap with him, do some work on his truck, and then sell it. I'm hoping to get 2 grand at a minimum. If I do, the Sebring cost me $1,000. Not bad!

Like I have told to another member, our Sebring (a sedan) has seen roads for almost fifteen years and a bit over 148K kilometers with only lower ball joints needing replacing every now and then.

Wow, August 1 date, 20th car off the line. Why no option codes?

20th VIN assigned. Could have been the first, or 100th, car off the line.

Possibly a pilot car. Typically, they do not carry a lot of codes.
The body could have been assembled BEFORE they decided what to put on it?
69 brought new codes. Maybe the plant didn’t have them programmed yet?

The water pump job wasn’t that bad. I told my wife when it was time to just take it in. The did a water pump and timing chain, twice, (they failed to heed my advice/demand to replace the tensioners) and it sounded like a chainsaw on start up. My wife was pissed but I thought 2 timing chain tear downs for the price of one - I just got my moneys worth LOL!!! The guys at the shop told me to never bring it there again while we watched my wife (still pissed off) drive away. You’re going to love that thing. Run sewing machine oil in it and when it’s time to do the water pump don’t dilly dally or you’re toast. I gave ours to my buddy’s teenage daughter and she loves it. Must be a trip to go from the back seat trapped in a crib seat to driving a drop top. From the look on her face I know there is hope for the motoring future. Your boys gonna love that thing. It was a great little car.

DL27L0D151852, an EB7 1970 Polara convertible, recently popped out of the blue (pun intended) for sale and has its tag here

This fire-breathing blue car is Jon's car. I don't know its build date (tag missing), but it looks great!

Last edited:
There are some other 1970 Polara convertibles whose owners I have read about on this board but whose fender tags I have never seen. For example:

Peter's DY3 cream: Moparfest 2016?

Bumped into 241221 (1, 2) while looking for something else. Fairly late build date, 4/21/70. There are numerous photos of this beautiful 1970 Polara convertible online (it even has its own home page), but I have yet to see one with its black top up (V3X).

Edit, 1-14-2019: I found a photo (from Carlisle 2016) of what seems to be Peter's car with its black top up.

Last edited:
Thanks to @Fratzog, the tag for DL27L0D191757 (a low-option EF8 Polara 'vert build on 1/26/1970) is in a 2013 posting here.

The tag of CM27T0C148816, an FF4 green Chrysler 300 convertible with green buckets and a console that was parted out last year, can be found here. It was built on Oct. 22, 1969.

The tag for CM27T0C243979, an EB3/V1W 300 'vert with blue buckets and buddy seat, is here. It was built 5/29 -- one of the last 300 produced I would venture.

Back