Lets Play A Game: Last Of The Convertibles

New to the group, just getting a started on the new engine for the Fury.
Not sure how to decode the tag.

060.JPG

Thank you for posting your tag -- your car is loaded! The decoder I use is from MyMopar -- it generally works pretty well, very few corrections are (from time to time) needed for uncommon options. In your case, the answers seem right on (I had a hard time deciphering some of the characters on the photo, please correct any mistakes):

P: Plymouth Fury
M: Medium
27: Convertible

L: 383 290HP 1-2BBL 8 CYL
0: 1970
D: Belvidere, IL, USA

151325: Sequence number

E61: 383 cid 2 barrel V8 290hp
D32: Heavy Duty Automatic Transmission
FF4: Light Green Metallic Exterior Color
M4F8: Trim - Opt. Decor Group, Vinyl Split Bench Seat, Green
FF4: Light Green Metallic Int. Door Frames
B04: Build Date: November 04
089824: Order number

V3W: White Convertible Top
A01: Light Package
A04: Basic (Radio) Group
B41: Front Disc Brakes w/Standard 10in RR Drum
G11: Tinted Glass (all)
H51: Air Conditioning with Heater

L31: Hood/Fender Mounted Turn Signals
M31: Belt Moldings
M85: Front & Rear Bumper Guards
N88: Auto Speed Control
P31: Power Windows
P45: Power Deck Lid Release

R35: AM/FM Stereo Radio (10 Watts)
S62: Tilt Steering Column
V01: Mono Tone Paint Treatment
V5F: Body Side Stripes, Green
Y05: Build to USA Specs

Y14: Sold Car
26: 26in Radiator
END: End of Sales Codes

I need to get a new top, was planing on black, may have to reconsider that now as well. Other than being a purist is there any advantage to keeping as close to origianal?
It's up to you. My car originally came with a black top. But, unless you read the fender tag, which can't be done unless the hood is open, who would know? Same thing goes for the paint color, which on my car is also not original.

20180328_100758.jpg

@Cags70PolaraConvert: I don't want to hijack this thread with discussions of the cars themselves beside their history, but if memory serves your car already has a non-standard interior (very nice IMO, but not exact match for the original) and a 4-barrel carb (again, very nice but not the original 2-barrel). Thus, I am not sure if changing the top to what you like would matter much for valuations. This said, as a fan of original stuff, it is just that there are so few EA4 cars to start with (and so few of them left) that I'd love to see yours come back to life as a silver car with a white top (it already has a blue interior). Then again, you are the owner, so it's really your choice!

PS: do you have information about your '70 Polara's history? If so, it'd be great to post it here -- or it'd be great if you created a thread for you 'vert.

Ayilar - points well taken and thank you. I have no other history on the car. I saw the ad on craigslist about 7-8 years ago, didn't know what I was getting into when it came to finding parts (I still need a washer bottle) and am now finding out more about the car class as well as the car itself. I hope next year to make more progress on it. When its paint time I will spend some time looking at silvers now because even though its not 100% correct I like the idea of keeping the same color, but I have seen a blueish silver color on some mopars out here that I am very interested in. Thanks to all for all of the information that has been provided.

How difficult is it keeping the white top clean?
Not bad. I do purchase "Convertible Top and Vinyl Cleaner" at parts stores; works well.

However, my top is up less than five days a year. Only been up once in 2019, and that's when I washed the car. We do not get tough weather here, and if it's raining, I don't drive it.

20190709_103350.jpg

Thank you for posting your tag -- your car is loaded! The decoder I use is from MyMopar -- it generally works pretty well, very few corrections are (from time to time) needed for uncommon options. In your case, the answers seem right on (I had a hard time deciphering some of the characters on the photo, please correct any mistakes):

P: Plymouth Fury
M: Medium
27: Convertible

L: 383 290HP 1-2BBL 8 CYL
0: 1970
D: Belvidere, IL, USA

151325: Sequence number

E61: 383 cid 2 barrel V8 290hp
D32: Heavy Duty Automatic Transmission
FF4: Light Green Metallic Exterior Color
M4F8: Trim - Opt. Decor Group, Vinyl Split Bench Seat, Green
FF4: Light Green Metallic Int. Door Frames
B04: Build Date: November 04
089824: Order number

V3W: White Convertible Top
A01: Light Package
A04: Basic (Radio) Group
B41: Front Disc Brakes w/Standard 10in RR Drum
G11: Tinted Glass (all)
H51: Air Conditioning with Heater

L31: Hood/Fender Mounted Turn Signals
M31: Belt Moldings
M85: Front & Rear Bumper Guards
N88: Auto Speed Control
P31: Power Windows
P45: Power Deck Lid Release

R35: AM/FM Stereo Radio (10 Watts)
S62: Tilt Steering Column
V01: Mono Tone Paint Treatment
V5F: Body Side Stripes, Green
Y05: Build to USA Specs

Y14: Sold Car
26: 26in Radiator
END: End of Sales Codes
Wow, thanks a ton Like I said just getting started on her. I'll post pics as I get an engine back in the car.Just dropped off a lot of parts to the machine shop. 383- 496 is the plan so far

I need to get a new top, was planing on black, may have to reconsider that now as well. Other than being a purist is there any advantage to keeping as close to origianal?

My car had a white top and the previous owner changed it to a saddle color. I really like it and judging by the comments, so do a lot of other people.

While new tops aren't exactly cheap, it's not something that can't be reversed. Pick whatever color you like.

KxfG6Jm.jpg

going to purchase this beauty Monday the 30th.

Congrats, and thanks you for posting -- can't wait to see more photos of PM27G0D162378!

One note: the paint is hiding the codes, what you typed as W4F8 is in fact M4F8 (vinyl split back front bench with folding armrest); M51 is in fact H51 (manual A/C, which explains why you have the 26" radiator; my otherwise similar '70 Polara 'vert, which does not have A/C or fender-mounted repeaters but otherwise has the same options, came with a 19" radiator); and M05 is in fact M85 (front and rear bumper protectors).

Last edited:
Thanks for the information ayilar.Car is really straight and has been owned by the same fellow for 25 years. I will post up everything after I get it home Friday the 4th.

pass side top up.jpg

Last edited:
DL27G0D155324 is currently for sale in Nashua, NH. It first came on the market in March of this year, after spending almost 20 years in a carport. Here is the sparsely populated fender tag of this FF4/L2F4/V1W convertible that needs a new home before its 50th birthday on Nov. 10, 2019.

fender tag DL27G0D155324 Nashua Messages Image(698180968).png

At the prompting of Ayilar, I'm posting a few pictures, and a little info on our family's 1970 Newport Convertible.
Snow is here in Wisconsin, and the car is in the garage. I promise to post better pictures, and the full story of the car next spring.
I have the original advance shipping notice to the dealer (a copy of the window sticker), build sheet, and all the paperwork from when my father purchased the car, but haven't been able to scan it in our computer yet. Our family is the second owner. Original list price was $4722.40. My father bought the car in February of '72 for $2802.80. The car has never been winter driven, original paint, top, upholstery. It currently shows 45,115 miles. New ESPO rear springs were installed this fall.
Enjoy,
Stewart

Newport Road Wheel.JPG

Newport trim tag.JPG

Newport Door VIN.JPG

Newport mileage Nov. 2019.JPG

Newport Nov. 2019.JPG

Back