Let's see your Newports

Nice fusie Mike. Like the wheel covers.
Thanks. The caps on the car are from a long gone ‘69 4dr hardtop I had many years ago. Originals are in the trunk as you can see. Not sure which I like better. I’m pretty sure the spare is the original. It looks like it turned kinda brittle.

View attachment 595056View attachment 595057View attachment 595058View attachment 595059View attachment 595060View attachment 595061View attachment 595062View attachment 595063View attachment 595064View attachment 595065
Found my ‘71 on line. Bought it from the original owner in Virginia. The wife and I made a road trip out of trailering it back to Indiana (the part going through the Apalachians was intense). Anyway she’s a 383 2bbl, 66k on the clock then. Came off the Newark Delaware assembly line, purchased from Falls Church Chrysler Plymouth. Garage kept and well maintained. Ton of paperwork and receipts came with. Bill of sale said the original owner traded in a ‘66 Newport 2dr. They gave him $700.00 for it.

One of my all time favorites. Not sure if this would qualify as a "stripper" or not but it's simplicity contributes to a very elegant overall package.

I've always liked the sombrero wheel covers but the style you currently have installed are equally attractive.

One of my all time favorites. Not sure if this would qualify as a "stripper" or not but it's simplicity contributes to a very elegant overall package.

I've always liked the sombrero wheel covers but the style you currently have installed are equally attractive.
Not a stripper, but close. The only options are a/c and a passenger side mirror. The ‘69 I mentioned could qualify. No a/c, am radio and nothig else. It was my Dad’s and he bought his cars that way. His previous new car was a ‘64 LeSabre 4dr sedan. 300 2bbl nailhead, am radio and that was it.

So I’m back in the game with a 66 68k original mile car that had been sitting for 6 years. Lots of stuff to do.
Here she is at home

IMG_0183.jpeg

IMG_0181.jpeg

IMG_7391.jpeg

IMG_0189.jpeg

70518907209__C7D443B4-85C2-4AD3-9FD6-23D7F153B6E7.jpeg

Looks like a fun summer project/cruiser blackrifle. Keep us posted. How's the interior, engine bay?

Interior is mint except for the drivers side *** portion. It has some splitting in it. Radio, lights and wipers all work.
This one is all metal too. Ill worry about the rusty quarters and such after I get her completely reliable and cruising.

Hi all, update on my 67 Newport, posts #44 to #46 which was a brown turd is back on the road baby!
"Smoke Money", purchased for the equivalent of 295 packs of large smokes in Canada got her certification today.
This car had to be ground down to bare metal due to the extreme amount of gouging past the brown turd paint, past the original Turbine Bronze and even the primer , even the metal was gouged.
IMG_3581.JPG
IMG_3580.JPG
IMG_3582.JPG

Hi all, update on my 67 Newport, posts #44 to #46 which was a brown turd is back on the road baby!
"Smoke Money", purchased for the equivalent of 295 packs of large smokes in Canada got her certification today.
This car had to be ground down to bare metal due to the extreme amount of gouging past the brown turd paint, past the original Turbine Bronze and even the primer , even the metal was gouged.View attachment 609055View attachment 609056View attachment 609057
Oh yes, that’s much better than the turd color! Works well with the black trim too.

Oh yes, that’s much better than the turd color! Works well with the black trim too.
I am fortunate to live close to a wreckers where I was able to salvage a second set of tail lights a second complete grill and another set of bumpers.
I even managed to get 2 sets of lettering allowing me to black out some parts and keep the originals as they came with the car.
Happy as a lark to get this car back on the road after sitting in a garage for 35 or so years. Rust was kept to a minimum being garaged but all the rubber had to be replaced, bushings, shakles, shocks, hoses, you name it.
Can't wait to take it out again today! My Polara is getting jealous!

Have a nice day,

PT

Explain the cigarette story again. I used to love those damn things until I came to my senses....

Explain the cigarette story again. I used to love those damn things until I came to my senses....
How much money we waisted is insane! Starting this week in Canada each individual butt will have a warning printed on it.
Not only will the butts kill you but so will all the ink you inhale.
How hot is it in Tampa? Which car fairs better in the heat, the Newport or your Riv?

It's hotter than hell here, and I think the humidity in hell is lower. I barely have run the Newport or the Riv this summer, but I was up in Ohio for a couple of months. I run those cars once a week up to Wally World for some 93 octane ethanol-free, but that's about it. Now I just run the New Yorker, since it has AC.

I'm still trying to buy the 67 Impala convert just deteriorating under the carport a few miles from my house. I write the guy letters, leave notes on the car, and I even met the guy once, but no dice, he just isn't selling. I guess he'd rather see the car disintegrate. It's puzzling.

Love your Newport and the baby moons! Cheers!

Here's my 68'. Purchased 10/09/09. Recently treated to a rebuilt 727, and a Firm Feel steering gear. Original triple White Spring Special.
1968 Newport 2.0.jpg

1968 Newport 3.0.jpg

Last edited:
What kind of paint is that? It looks pretty close to actual 10-8 Karat Gold. Is it metallic flake or solid? Very nice choice!
She has full moons for more cleavage, to the dismay of many on here this car is wrapped just like my Polara. The wrap actually protects the car and whom ever is the next cartaker can just peel it off and do what they want. I got bettter at the craft of wrapping doing a second car, still a couple of wrinkles here and there just like me but all in all very happy on how it turned out.
Tradition is to get the car certified and take the wife out to DQ, had a fella standing 4 feet away and saying nice paint job. CYS Champagne Gold

What kind of paint is that? It looks pretty close to actual 10-8 Karat Gold. Is it metallic flake or solid? Very nice choice!
3CD, slabs are much easier to wrap than a fusie but one common problem...the fender extensions are extemely difficult to wrap due to too many curves and turns.
My budget is low, I have no money to pay for a fancy paint job and money you would never get back on a resale, so my next move was to buy a $800 buck CDN wrap. Seemed like the most logical thing to do!

Your logic is flawless! I think it looks great, nice job! Can you estimate how long you spend wrapping it?
Being a one man show with a bit of assistance from the wife I would do one panel at a time over the course of the spring whenever I could fit it in.
The name of the game is slow and patience, 2 people to lay a sheet on a panel working downward keeping an imaginary horizontal line of work squiggieing down and not getting ahead of yourself. You Tube resource.
The car took about 15 to 20 hours to complete, again one panel at a time. Now that's just the wrap and not all the substrate prep done which was the bulk of the work this past winter. After sanding and sanding with poor results for applying the wrap, I ground the car down to bare metal then shot it with 4 coats of primer epoxy, sanded again at 180 grit, then again at 400 grit, the Scotch Brite and then tack clothed for the wrap, still got little specks of dirt under that I just have to live with, but frustrating non the less.
Please do not ask me how long it took me to prep the substrate as my mind goes to my "Nothing Box" while doing it.
IMG_3520.JPG
IMG_3547.JPG

She has full moons for more cleavage, to the dismay of many on here this car is wrapped just like my Polara. The wrap actually protects the car and whom ever is the next cartaker can just peel it off and do what they want. I got bettter at the craft of wrapping doing a second car, still a couple of wrinkles here and there just like me but all in all very happy on how it turned out.
Tradition is to get the car certified and take the wife out to DQ, had a fella standing 4 feet away and saying nice paint job. CYS Champagne Gold
Holy Toledo, I thought that was paint! I’ve thought about using wrap where my T&C’s faux wood is fading. (Although these days, the greyed DiNoc might be oddly trendy).

BTW, do they have Newport cigarettes in Canada? It’s been about three decades since I’ve been north of the border and I don’t exactly follow the tobacco market in any country.

Back