Lower control arm shafts turning trying to take but off

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I have to change the strut rod bushings on the 68 fury and in the process of loosen the control arm shaft nut I discovered that the shaft is turning also. Should I use a vise grip to keep the shaft from turning while getting the nut off? I’m guessing I should replace the lower control arm bushing again too? Ugh!!

Are there flats on the strut rod for a wrench? Some heat on the nut goes a long way, but if you need to the vice grips will work. If you haven't changed the lower control arm bushings before they can be tricky

It’s the lower control arm pivot that’s turning while taking the nut off the crossmember. I changed all of the front end parts in August but the strut rod bushings broke apart.

53773D68-A31B-4A28-98FE-AEF3CA307453.jpeg

Those nuts are designed to make hard contact with the threads so they won’t back off. Are you saying that you replaced these last August and they came apart like that already? What brand?

Resto Parts in Utah...noted.

I’d stick with Moog or PST(obviously)

As far as backing that nut off maybe try loosening it with the load back on the suspension? I’m thinking it shouldn’t spin that easy.

Front nut, Air Impact wrench, while it's on the ground, then one on control arm if need be.
Try not to Vice Grip mar the rods, brass & aluminum is your friend.

Back