Maiden Voyage as a Tow Car

Carl K

Reaction score
The Chrysler finally had a chance to show her stuff as a tow car. After a busy week of changing the differential and new axle bearings, it was ready for it's maiden voyage. A nice, easy 150 miles to Pinnacles National Park near Hollister, CA.

tow01.JPG

Despite the stance in the photo, the car did sit almost level with the load leveling hitch. I do have stiffer springs that I did not have time to install. This should help the sag.

The trailer towed well, when the roads are smooth it's easy to forget it's there. I didn't have any issues with sway or braking.

Carl K.

The Chrysler finally had a chance to show her stuff as a tow car. After a busy week of changing the differential and new axle bearings, it was ready for it's maiden voyage. A nice, easy 150 miles to Pinnacles National Park near Hollister, CA.

View attachment 75083
Despite the stance in the photo, the car did sit almost level with the load leveling hitch. I do have stiffer springs that I did not have time to install. This should help the sag.

The trailer towed well, when the roads are smooth it's easy to forget it's there. I didn't have any issues with sway or braking.

Carl K.

Glad everything worked out Carl. Nice work by the way - she looks awesome!

Stunning car and it looks like it was ment to have that Airstream behind it.

Airstream calendar material right there.

As above, looks like a time capsule right out of the 60s! Vintage cars with campers are cool for sure.

The Chrysler finally had a chance to show her stuff as a tow car. After a busy week of changing the differential and new axle bearings, it was ready for it's maiden voyage.
Did you change the gears or just the diff, because the gears need to be broken in before towing.

Very nice car and Airstream!

What is the weight of the Airstream?

The trailer weighs 3750 pounds when fully loaded. The factory weight was listed as 3200 pounds, but that was without water, propane, and all the interior mods (larger fridge, etc.)

The trailer weighs 3750 pounds when fully loaded. The factory weight was listed as 3200 pounds, but that was without water, propane, and all the interior mods (larger fridge, etc.)

Thanks.

How does it handle going up and down steep hills/mountains?

Very nice Carl.
We just returned today from a three week trip from Bham to New Orleans and over to Gulf shores.... and back to Bham Alabama. No issues with the rig on this trip either. I'll be posting a bunch of photos soon.

Very nice Carl ... now just don't let Lucy start collecting rocks along the way and you are all set for some classy memories

Back