Making a shop tool. Rear axle dolley

Moparmat2000

Reaction score
Not sure where to post this. I am making an axle dolley so i can install the restored rear axle when i complete it with springs and all under my cuda. Its 29" wide for leaf apring relocated A bodies, so it should be able to do B, E, C , D and trucks and vans too. Tired of doing the barbell floor jack balance.

This is set up so a fully assembled rear axle with leaf springs installed can be slid under the car, the front eye bolts installed, then using the floor jack under the pumpkin from the back you then jack the axle up and hook up the rear shackles. Do the reverse of that to remove a rear axle.

I am very close to getting it to where i can do the final welding and paint. I have to make a removable front pinion support when i get my chunk back from the rebuilder. At that point i will finish weld in the uprights, the axle perches, and remove the cleco pins.

I am designing this so an axle can be either built up or torn down on it. A rear loader like a GM 10/12 bolt, mopar 8.25, or ford 8.8 can be redone with the front of the axle pointed down. The rollers allow rotation of axle for gear assembly, and for axle tilt up or down to attach front spring eyes.

Heres latest pix. With spring temp clamped to axle tube, it slid right under and lined up in about 5 seconds. The ratchet strap is there because with the empty housing is *** heavy with the spring installed. It will not be that way once the chunk is installed. I will still put attach points for a ratchet tiedown to strap over the top of the chunk. I'm using four 5" swivel lock castors. I am going to paint it rustoleum safety yellow.

This thing is gonna be a real dreamboat.

20170413_182915.jpg

20170413_185740.jpg

20170413_185754.jpg

20170413_185853.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, as soon as i get my center chunk back either monday or tuesday, i will finish making the removable front pinion support for it. I was at tractor supply co. the other day and saw some nice hitch pins for a 3 point that can work for this making it quick removable. Then i can weld everything up. Fog it w primer and paint it. I will post more pix as i roll along, no pun intended.

Got my chunk back. I used some heavy duty 2&1/2" sq tube and cut one side out so it can slip onto the frame from the front. I will drill and tap for set screws on this. the rest is 2" sq tube, and 1/8" sheet stock. I have to final weld in the uprights and perches then time for paint.

20170421_210724.jpg

20170421_210652.jpg

20170421_210700.jpg

20170421_210812.jpg

Really nice work and a well thought out design.:thumbsup:
My hat is off to you.

Well i over did it the last couple of days. With my lower back problems, i ended up getting a shot of Toridol at the minor emergency clinic the other day because my lower back became enflamed, and im now taking anti inflammatories and pain killers, and using ice packs to ease it up. It sucks when walking or trying to walk you feel like Tim Conway playing the part of the shuffling old man on the Carol Burnett show, while moving just as fast, and no canned laughter either. May be awhile before i finish primering, and spray the yellow on it.

Well i am a glutton for punishment. I chilled my back w an ice pack, went outside to flip over and prime the topside of my axle dolley, now its back to lying down and ice packs again.

20170423_114346.jpg

20170423_114400.jpg

Well i am a glutton for punishment. I chilled my back w an ice pack, went outside to flip over and prime the topside of my axle dolley, now its back to lying down and ice packs again.
Age and hard mileage aren't conducive to a full days work... I'm feeling your pain.

This lower back problem started at age 17 working at a carpet store. We picked up a large roll of carpet, the guy on the other end lost his grip and dropped it. I took all the weight. It screwed up my lower back from there on out. I was bed ridden with muscle spasms for 2 days. You dont notice that you permanently effed your **** up when you are young, but it sure gets worse as you get older. Normally i hurt and am sore a bit periodically for a day or 2 from weather changes, or if i did a lot of physical lifting etc, but this is pretty bad, and has gotten worse over the week. I will be seeing my doctor monday. I can lie down or stand up. Sitting is painful, feels like a broken tailbone but i have not fallen down or done anything that would have caused that over the last week or so.

Sorry to hear that Matt, take care of yourself. I feel your pain but thankfully I didn't injure my back until I was about 35 but it's hurt at some level every day since then.

Back