Mathilda gets new shoes....

Gerald Morris

Reaction score
Replaced drums, shoes, cylinders, hoses and bearings for the front yesterday and today to eliminate a nasty pull to the left, which the FSM advised a course pretty like this to remedy. It did. Used mostly Raybestos stuff from Rock Auto, though I bought shoes from the local VatoZone as they have their lifetime warranty.

For shoes that is well and good, and what they sold me for the rear has served admirably enough so far. ONE MISTAKE I'll soon enough rectify was assuming that their house brand bearing, using the same nomenclature as Timken, would be Timken in a Duralast box. I made this colossal error based on some past experience with parts bought with their shop brand that WERE made by decent makers, but I say now for All:

CHINESEUM ALERT!!! NEVER BUY THEIR SET 2 OR 6 WHEEL BEARINGS FOR YOUR FRONT WHEELS!! CHINESEUM ALERT!!!

The races LOOKED like not too much potmetal was alloyed in them, but the actual roller housings are made of THIN STAMPED METAL!!

I used the crap for now, but am ordering REAL Timken bearings tonight. I just pray the garbage holds up for a week. The hubs were in decent shape, though I notice they are not perfectly matched. One had thicker bearing shoulders with alternating notches. 5 of them, allowing ample room for a punch or drift to seat well on the old races and drive them out. These were Timken BTW. The other had shoulders going all around the hub body, but not as thick as the races so with more care, one can still get a purchase on the race and drive it out. One SK race and one Timken there. The SK race was scratched badly in one spot, causing the inner bearing considerable wear. I suspect THIS was what caused the leftward pull.

After final reassembly with all new parts, Tilly drives and STOPS now, arrow straight!!! So another Happy Ending for This Week.

Pretty much EVERYTHING in the DURACRAP line brand is made in either (Taiwan=better but still crap or China=always crap) Timken numbers are used for both so always specify TIMKEN bearing. Note you usually can't get these at Auto Zone.

Go to Napa or some other old line auto parts store.

Dave

Back in the earlier '80s, I went to the local Chrysler dealer and ordered up a set of front wheel bearings for my '66 Newport. They all arrived in the expected Chrysler boxes, but what was in them had more "Asian" markings than they suspected USA-brand items. Never got around to putting them on YET.

I've seen a few other places where an aftermarket brand will co-opt an OEM-level supplier's part numbers. In some cases, the difference in where an O'Reilly's A-1 Cardone part number and the part number used by NAPA for the same part . . . is where the "-" is placed in the number. Be that as it may.

Glad things are behaving "as designed"!

CBODY67

Back in the earlier '80s, I went to the local Chrysler dealer Never got around to putting them on YET. ....
Glad things are behaving "as designed"!

CBODY67

Amen to that! I now have 2 Little Folk riding in their legally prescribed kiddie torture seats in the back at times. Can't tolerate any safety failures. When properly tuned and installed, I PREFER mechanical drum brakes, and have done well with them over the years. NOW to attend to carburetion, a sticky valve, headlight relays, new rear suspension bushings, fuel sending unit, windows, door handles, oooooooH "the Torture never stops!"

But Tilly does... on a dime now!

Pretty much EVERYTHING in the DURACRAP line brand is made in either (Taiwan=better but still crap or China=always crap) Timken numbers are used for both so always specify TIMKEN bearing. Note you usually can't get these at Auto Zone.

Go to Napa or some other old line auto parts store.

Dave

Thx Dave! I'll order my Timken bearings from Rock later tonight. NAPA has gone CRAPA somewhat too, sad to see. VatoZone carries National, but that too, like Raybestos, is now chineseum also. Whether the island or mainland, Chinese don't make good quality metal, and haven't since the Chin Dynasty; which outlawed iron forging to keep the peasants from arming themselves well. Slaves don't make good quality anything. I'm curious how long the drums will hold up.

Back