MOPAR Summer?

kenfyoozed

Reaction score
I have this idea of restoring my 1967 Newport Custom over the summer. I have 2 sons, 14 & 12. I thought of documenting via youtube. My kids are home schooled, and i was thinking this may be just another way to show them more of real world hands on skills. Engine work, body work, interior work and all the other things that go along with restoring a car. They already know some welding, plasma burning, plasma tables, running forklifts, tractors, and tele-handlers. The boys are excited about the idea. Any suggestions?

I have this idea of restoring my 1967 Newport Custom over the summer. I have 2 sons, 14 & 12. I thought of documenting via youtube. My kids are home schooled, and i was thinking this may be just another way to show them more of real world hands on skills. Engine work, body work, interior work and all the other things that go along with restoring a car. They already know some welding, plasma burning, plasma tables, running forklifts, tractors, and tele-handlers. The boys are excited about the idea. Any suggestions?

There are numerous on line "how to" videos on the best ways to do certain types of repairs. Many of the Mopar technical training courses are also reproduced on line. Be sure to get a copy of the FSM for you vehicle and use that as a reference starting point.
Kids as young as your sons are still developing their intellectual and physical skills, so it is probably best to start with the simpler types of repairs and work your way up from there. Kids learn by doing but they also learn a lot by watching some one who knows what they are doing, so their is great value in showing them the right way to do things.That means dear old dad should research the repair before demonstrating it.

Dave

Before you start make a plan of how far you want to go on the car. How much time and money you want to spend.

Buy the required safety items for all 3 involved. Breathing spray paint, paint stripper, brake cl anger, etc, fumes is really bad for us to breathe.

As a follow up: You should impress upon your sons that if a vehicle is properly maintained, they will spend a lot less time having to repair it. Teach them things like tune ups, oil changes, grease jobs, tire rotations, brake, belt, hose and tire inspections, how to check fluids and anti freeze density. Any kid who works on a car also needs to be taught basic safety, safe jacking and jack stands, protection from asbestos fibers, keeping hands and other body parts away from moving engine or drive train parts, proper disposal of dangerous waste products like anti-freeze, eye protection, fuel system safety, etc. And as always, a clean work site is a safe work site. Eye protection and respirators when appropriate.

Dave

Go for it! Use different mounts (tripod, magnetic, suction cup) and be sure to use a lapel mic, just don't rely on the cameras internal mic. If you need any help with cuts, intros, or editing, drop me a line.

This can be a great learning experience for all! Key thing, to me, is to not give them more than they can comprehend and understand, at once. By observation, an iPhone (or similar) can shoot pretty good video with sound (a local TV reporter did that and it worked better than I ever suspected). BUT prepare the space the video will be shot in for best results. Lighting, cleanliness/organization, etc.

This can also be a good time to illustrate and define basic automotive design orientations. Like what made Chrysler products unique AND BETTER than GM or Ford vehicles. Although each has their strong points and weaknesses. Basic systems designs and engineering theory of operations, too. PLUS using the "sub-assembly" method of restoration, where things like the entire instrument panel is removed for restoration, as a unit, put on a large workbench to work on it, then reinstalled as one unit, just as it was done at the assembly plant. Other similar things, too.

It's important that they understand "hazardous materials" and their correct handling and related disposal. Using nitrile gloves for protection, for example, to protect against normal chemicals and related things.

The whole aspect of quality control so that things are done only ONCE and done well, for best long term results. But this might have a learning curve involved with it, too.

I concur that using the various online sources for the Chrysler MasterTech Program can be great to use. Several places that a complete library (back into the 1950s?) can be found. Some of the earlier ones, which used a filmstrip projector and phonograph (with beeps to change the picture), can be interesting reflections upon history, too.

Y'all ENJOY!
CBODY67

Give them jobs they are capable of doing, teachers them safety, and have fun. He wasn't 4 yet in this picture. The car is as much my kid's as it is mine.
IMG_5891.jpg

today was a bit of a break in as we worked on the '67 300...it needed bulbs in the dash. While adjusting the transmission gear indicator to read properly the nut fell into the steering column. This meant the steering column had to come out to find the nut. All went well and they learned a bit more today... then on to the '67
newport

Back