Mopars at big daddys

I have taken numerous trips to Green Bay and back with the NYB. I need to rebuild the motor. Though it runs and runs good, I'm concerned that it still has the original timing chain with probably a nylon tooth or two missing. It is also starting to consume oil. She deserves a rebuild and she will get one. I've been collecting parts and one of the last things I need to wrestle with is whether I want to stroke it to a 451. I still want to be able to drive cross country so I won't go crazy with a cam, etc.

Bob: The Auto Train leaves from Lorton, VA, which is about a fifty or sixty mile drive from Aberdeen. It leaves at around 4:00 PM and arrives in Sanford, FL the next morning at around 9:00 AM. There is one stop for a crew change in Spartanburg, SC - otherwise its non-stop all the way. Last year, I drove down to Lorton from Germantown in about an hour. Went first class in a sleeper. Meals were included in the first class fare. Also, you don't wanna try to sleep in a coach seat, BTW.

Thanks Rip!

That is excellent! You wouldn't happen to have the link to the auto train?

Thanks Rip!

That is excellent! You wouldn't happen to have the link to the auto train?

Bob:

One more thing: Amtrak offers a Master Card you can use to accumulate points for train travel. I used mine to pay for the Garlits trip last year, and the whole damn trip was free. . .

Jeff: How many times did you get "Nice Caddy"?
I got three. WTF? It's a Mopar show, kid.

One kid stopped me as I was exiting. He wanted to see the headlamp doors open and close... :realcrazy:

Mandatory hose pic:
View attachment 151596

I have it on good authority that some of those wretched excess people are just like you and I, and blend right in. :rolleyes:

Jeff, does the ATC II work in both Imp's?
Not entirely... I need to spend a weekend on this.
Kinda like trailering your car to the shows .... :thankyou:
I don't know how you travel, for me it was a very pleasant experience. My night vision is still OK, but I don't feel as comfortable driving at night as I used to. I no longer even want to push myself, when I'm tired I find a motel. At retail price the train costs no more than fuel and a hotel room, with the benefit of arriving well rested.

Rip turned me onto the rewards card. With the buy up card, I started a 20,000 points... my round trip for Carlisle including sleeping berth was about 27,000 points. Out of pocket less than $300...

All told the trip, the waiting at the beginning and end... a little less than 24 hours tied up, but well rested, nicely fed and I could drink, use the WiFi, or socialize during my waking hours. Toughest part was not smoking, which I wouldn't do in the car either.

Thank you again @Ripinator
Jeff: How many times did you get "Nice Caddy"?
I got three. WTF? It's a Mopar show, kid.

One kid stopped me as I was exiting. He wanted to see the headlamp doors open and close... :realcrazy:

Mandatory hose pic:
View attachment 151596
The best was when I was talking to you while standing by our cars, a group of young folks came by and a girl said "Hey a Cadillac... Oh it's a New Yorker!" Then she turned to me and apologized. I told her "That's OK, you're talking about his car" while pointing at you.:lol:

Good job Rip and Jeff on the Amtrak explanation.

On top of all that, commuting on I-95 for that 1000 mile stretch and you have a pretty good chance of somebody running in to you as well.

Thanks for the pics, Cantflip. Some have the sort of flair that reminded me of the pics I took in 1987 with an old Kodak Instamatic at a tri-Chevy Show in the greater Chicago area. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the pics, Cantflip. Some have the sort of flair that reminded me of the pics I took in 1987 with an old Kodak Instamatic at a tri-Chevy Show in the greater Chicago area. :rolleyes:
I think I woulda done better with the Kodak... :(

I have no idea how to work the features of the camera, whatever I did to the settings, hopefully they are now reset. I couldn't tell by the small screen how bad it was...

I think I woulda done better with the Kodak... :(

I have no idea how to work the features of the camera, whatever I did to the settings, hopefully they are now reset. I couldn't tell by the small screen how bad it was...
If you don't play around with a camera before using it these days, it can be very frustrating learning in the fly. Thanks to digital cameras, I've forgotten most of the basics with SLR cameras, and I'm definitely behind the times learning mine.

If you don't play around with a camera before using it these days, it can be very frustrating learning in the fly. Thanks to digital cameras, I've forgotten most of the basics with SLR cameras, and I'm definitely behind the times learning mine.
Once I figured out how to turn it on, I thought I was good to go. I was trying to remember how to view pictures and must have changed something. I have no intentions of actually learning how to use it better... :D

This is where the "automatic" settings do the best for you.

The past three or four cell phones I've had are as good as most small cameras and if you don't need the latest and greatest iPhone and are willing to shop around, they aren't much more money... and they are always in your pocket.

This is where the "automatic" settings do the best for you.

The past three or four cell phones I've had are as good as most small cameras and if you don't need the latest and greatest iPhone and are willing to shop around, they aren't much more money... and they are always in your pocket.
The smart phone has outsmarted me too... there's a few folks around here who know I don't know how to work it either. I bought the "no memory" model, a few pictures and it's done.

Back