Mopars at the Battleship

bluefury361

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Despite a questionable weather forcast we set out, in the 65 Coronet 500 convertible, Friday morning for the "Mopars at the Battleship" show in Mobile Alabama, fully expecting to get wet.
45 minutes later the sun came out, and the top went down. It stayed sunny and warm for the 5 hour drive to the coast, It rained Friday night and was sunny Saturday morning.
(You gotta wonder how to get the job like a weather man, be wrong most of the time, and get the BIG bucks).

Show day Saturday. Held at a state park on the north shore of the Mobile Bay which features the USS Alabama Battleship, several military aircraft and a WWII submarine, all of which one car tour.

Just over two hundred Mopars registered. It was disturbing to see almost half were Metric's. But some nice ones including a Hell Cat Charger.

Lots of A & B bodys and a handful of C bodys and Forward look cars.

A few pictures.

DSC02033 (Large).jpg

DSC02034 (Large).jpg

DSC02036 (Large).jpg

DSC02035 (Large).jpg

DSC02037 (Large).jpg

DSC02038 (Large).jpg

DSC02039 (Large).jpg

DSC02040 (Large).jpg

DSC02041 (Large).jpg

Show day started out great, Sun shine and blue sky..... but at about 2PM started to cloud up. The awards ceremony was in a huge 3 pole tent. About 2/3rd's thru the ceremony the bottom dropped out of the sky, pouring rain, lightening, ....... and then the wind came. There were probably 75-80 people under the tent when one end lifted and the 1st pole dropped. No one hurt so they tried to rush through the awards. It wasen't pretty, so I grabbed Ellie and we got out of there, ran through the pouring rain to the car. A few minutes later we watched the wind gust lift the tent, poles dropped and it came down on whatever was under it.
Folks scattered just before it happened and it doesn't seem anyone was hurt. I'll be checking with the host club to verify that.

A drying out period and a nice dinner at a Bay side fish camp smoothed out the rest of the day.

DSC02053 (Large).jpg

DSC02054 (Large).jpg

DSC02055.jpg

Thanks for sharing. it looked like a nice selection of Mopars.
Glad no one was injured..

That was on the news last night as there were a lot of sail boats out in Mobile Bay for a Regatta that capsized requiring all kinds of rescue services to look for people or bodies. The wind caught them all by surprise. So far two dead and five missing still.

Thanks for the report Will.

I wonder why so many people attend with a modern Mopar?

I am glad that on most european Moparshow Mopars built past 1979 are not allowed to enter.

Carsten

Back