MOUSE IN THE HOUSE

DDR2467

Reaction score
Hello all… so I get in my 300 and start driving and when I get up to speed (um, over 10 MPH) the God awful smell of dead mouse hits the air. I am obviously assuming it’s in the air ducts. I have a 2002 Toyota Camry which had the same issue (I live in farmland) and found the common place of the mouse house in the cabin air filter in back of the glove compartment. So… is there any post here which I have missed that addresses this issue of shows how to access all of the duct work that makes up the “ventilation system” of my 1969 300 convertible so I can start dismembering it and find the source of the problem… bleach the parts… and have a happy wife the next time we drive to Dunkin Donuts on a Sunday morning to get coffee? TYIA!!!

If the blower motor was not quite so hidden, that might be a place to start. Otherwise, is it an a/c car or not? Is the plastic cowl screen in place?

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

My first bet is the little **** gnawed its way into a defrost duct, scurried down to the blower, nested and eventually died there after excreting happily. Start with the glove box, and see if any mouse holes are in that. From there to the passenger defrost duct is easy enough. Were the vents open perchance? THAT could let a pest in from outside. May well be how they're getting into your rides. Get cats. They're too big to infest heaters and AC anyway, though most of the rest of the car is fair game to 'em.

Another more likely place of entry is through windshield cowl area. The plastic cowl cover easily warps or damage mesh area allows rodent entry. Access to the blower mtr. can be done w/ removal of the rt. front wheelhouse.

DSC04401.JPG

DSC04400.JPG

Shop Amazon, get an Ozone Generator. They are about 150.00 bucks. Put it in the floorboard, put the vents on recirc. Turn both the car the the machine on for about an hour or so. The smell will disappear.

Another more likely place of entry is through windshield cowl area. The plastic cowl cover easily warps or damage mesh area allows rodent entry. Access to the blower mtr. can be done w/ removal of the rt. front wheelhouse. ...

Yon pics make a convincing essay in where some vile rodent nested, to be SURE! My ignorance of the composition of the windshield cowl has been corrected. I pray to never have to find out first hand in this case.... Thanks for sharing this data!

Shop Amazon, get an Ozone Generator. They are about 150.00 bucks. Put it in the floorboard, put the vents on recirc. Turn both the car the the machine on for about an hour or so. The smell will disappear.

For a great deal less than $150, one can buy some frankincense and myrrh and burn them with the ventalation on recirc for the prescribed time, kill the Eu de Rotten Raton and have a nice, Traditional fragrance in one's ride in the bargain. The Ancients used this combo to combat mortal stench and still do in the lands where the practice originated. Sandalwood also helps, and repels many nasty bugs. An American Traditionalist might prefer sage, but I don't.

Yea but you will still have the thought of a rats nest knawing at your brain if you haven't R&R and cleaned out and sanitized your A/C or heater box. Heater only is fairly easy to do on 1960's era Mopars, A/C will require a discharge and recharge.
That's one thing I liked about the older GM A/C system, you can remove the evaporator core out of the box to clean without disconnecting it. Cleaning the fins real good on any A/C system is required yearly maintenance anyway.

If the blower motor was not quite so hidden, that might be a place to start. Otherwise, is it an a/c car or not? Is the plastic cowl screen in place?

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67
It is not an A/C car. Have to look at the cowl screen but I believe I saw it in place. Will check when I get home. TY!

It is not an A/C car
That makes things a ton easier.

You can take the heater box out without all the drama that happens with an A/C car. It's probably easier and would give you better results than pulling the blower motor... which involves pulling the right wheel and inner fender. That is if the mouse is in the heater box...

I'd pull up the cowl screen and also remove the front kick panels to get at the cowl vents.

These endoscopes that work with your phone might be a good investment to find the nest. I have one of these:
Amazon product ASIN B07PN9FJKJ
It's also great for finding stuff under couches and looking at your back teeth (how much of that tooth did I break off with the peanut brittle?)

Another more likely place of entry is through windshield cowl area. The plastic cowl cover easily warps or damage mesh area allows rodent entry. Access to the blower mtr. can be done w/ removal of the rt. front wheelhouse.

View attachment 553737

View attachment 553738
I agree. Wheel house is not hard to remove if the screws aren't extremely rusty.
Blower motor and heater box cover at engine compartment comes out easily unless you spin a screw or stud in it's mounting. Just be gentle breaking them loose.

That makes things a ton easier.

You can take the heater box out without all the drama that happens with an A/C car. It's probably easier and would give you better results than pulling the blower motor... which involves pulling the right wheel and inner fender. That is if the mouse is in the heater box...

I'd pull up the cowl screen and also remove the front kick panels to get at the cowl vents.

These endoscopes that work with your phone might be a good investment to find the nest. I have one of these:
Amazon product ASIN B07PN9FJKJ
It's also great for finding stuff under couches and looking at your back teeth (how much of that tooth did I break off with the peanut brittle?)
LOL! Such great advise! Thanks! I was hoping I wouldn’t have to remove the sash to access any of the ductwork. Is this correct?

m
I agree. Wheel house is not hard to remove if the screws aren't extremely rusty.
Blower motor and heater box cover at engine compartment comes out easily unless you spin a screw or stud in it's mounting. Just be gentle breaking them loose.
Extra care needs to be exercised in attaching nuts removal. Use lots of good penetrating oil, If they still won't move carefully cut the nuts off w/ a Dremel or the equivalent tool. If you don't breaking the heater box will happen. See photos. The stud brackets are riveted in, a seized nut will break the heater box.

20220822_232604.jpg

20220822_232634.jpg

m

Extra care needs to be exercised in attaching nuts removal. Use lots of good penetrating oil, If they still won't move carefully cut the nuts off w/ a Dremel or the equivalent tool. If you don't breaking the heater box will happen. See photos. The stud brackets are riveted in, a seized nut will break the heater box.

View attachment 553889

View attachment 553890
That's some good info that you usually learn the hard way!

Back