Muffler suggestions

RagTop66

Reaction score
Can you guys give me some ideas of what mufflers I should put on my 66 Polara convertible? Currently the 440 with a 484 purple shaft and 2 1/2” stainless has the 40 series flow masters on it. The motor sounds great, but the drone is starting to annoy me. I want something sort of aggressive but not as obnoxious as the 40 series. Any suggestions?

Some companies lets you hear them on their website but I like Youtube better as you may find someone with same motor for you to hear them.

I went from 2 1/2 inch DroneMasters to Magnaflows.

Very, very pleased. Sounds exactly how a 1970 big-engined car should sound. Nice burble at idle, normal and quiet on the highway, good sound at WOT. Perfect.

Last edited:
Ditto. I asked my muffler guy that I didn't want to sound like every Cuda out there with their Flowmasters. Good sound but they all must use the same thing as they sound all alike. I told him I wanted deep rumble without the tinny highs and not too loud till you lay into it. He installed Magnaflows and I couldn't be any happier.

Keep in mind that drone is often caused by the tailpipes exiting too far UNDER the rear bumper. Often extending them so they output a bit further will reduce drone dramatically.

That being said, preference is individual, and you've got a number of them above saying Magnaflows are theirs.

I am old school, and grew up enjoying the sound of the old Walker Continental Blue Swinger, which was a very popular exhaust option in the 70s. A truly unique sound unlike any other glass pack, and they last forever. Still can be found NOS in some collections... I manage to get two pairs from this seller on eBay:

NOS WALKER CONTINENTAL 1961-4 BUICK BIG CAR SINGLE LESABRE, WILDCAT, ELECTRA | eBay

I suggest a pair of reproduction hemi mufflers. I used them on my 67 Polara convertible with a 2 1/2" tti system. Sounds like day one. Zero resonance, (drone).
DSC04861.JPG

I went from 2 1/2 inch DroneMasters to Magnaflows.

Very, very pleased. Sounds exactly how a 1970 big-engined car should sound. Nice burble at idle, normal and quiet on the highway, good sound at WOT. Perfect.
Do you happen to know a part number for these?

I run Dynomax Super Turbos with the turn downs extending 2-3 inches past the bottom lip of the bumper.
No drone.
Exhaust is like wheels a personal taste kinda thing.
You will get a lot of different opinions but choose what makes you happy.

Like Will said above: Repro Hemi mufflers.
Had them on my built 440.
Rumble with minimal resonation.

If you want to do it the PROPER WAY, a muffler like the 40 AND resonators.

I had Turbos on my Newport for over ten years. Worked fine, and their low cost. However, they will not survive a backfire. Magnaflows are designed to survive one, which is why I bought those after my Turbos were destroyed in a series of backfires I experienced some six years ago.

I went through several models of walkers through my local exhaust guy. It was over a year long process mainly because he kept dikkin' me around.

Then finally ordered a pair of OEM reproductions from Waldron's Exhaust, and I couldn't be more pleased. The OEM type are insulated, while all Walkers nowdays are non-insulated and heavy on the drone , plus tinny sound.

Keep in mind that drone is often caused by the tailpipes exiting too far UNDER the rear bumper. Often extending them so they output a bit further will reduce drone dramatically.

That being said, preference is individual, and you've got a number of them above saying Magnaflows are theirs.

I am old school, and grew up enjoying the sound of the old Walker Continental Blue Swinger, which was a very popular exhaust option in the 70s. A truly unique sound unlike any other glass pack, and they last forever. Still can be found NOS in some collections... I manage to get two pairs from this seller on eBay:

NOS WALKER CONTINENTAL 1961-4 BUICK BIG CAR SINGLE LESABRE, WILDCAT, ELECTRA | eBay
Ross, do you have these installed currently? If so, do you happen to have a video of the sound for us to hear?

I used 2.25 Hemi/Big block mufflers on my Polara. Very happy with the sound and lack of drone. These were Soundmaster mufflers by Walker.
Keep in mind that the original mufflers on a 66 C body were smaller than later years because there is less space under the car. A full size hemi /big block muffler might give your bender some issues. Also, a three pass muffler will be quieter than a standard cheapy turbo. Three pass means three internal pipes. Dynomax hemi mufflers or stock types will be a three pass.
Lastly... convertibles tend to be louder than a hardtop.
Something that helped for me was installing some left over insulation under the rear seat. It dropped the noise threshold significantly, so much that I'm going to add just a bit more when I pull the seat again. Actually it will be home insulation. Two layers ought to be pretty good.

Ross, do you have these installed currently? If so, do you happen to have a video of the sound for us to hear?

I don't - the car is all apart for restoration. I do have a video of a pair installed from many years ago though, but it's more to demonstrate the insane amount of torque the factory police motor made... just putting my foot in it at 20 mph... :icon_fU:

I put thrush super turbos cause im cheap 50 bucks each from amazon delivered and tips I found at crappy tire reduced to 11 bucks sounds great

IMG_0970.JPG

Back