My 1971 Dodge Polara

As of right now, its a nice looking table in the garage.
But current plans (since you also have a 383-2bbl):
- Full reseal of everything
- Ported 906 heads (possibly shaved) with 2.14/1.81 valves
- 1.6 roller rockers
- Edelbrock DP4B intake (might spend the money to have them port matched)
- 635 cfm Carter AVS from a 1971 383 HP car (#6125S but will be looking for a #4968S from a 440, which flows 750 cfm)
- HP manifolds
- Hopefully reuse stock bottom end and pistons but if not, probably .30 over with L2315 pistons (I want 9.5 to 1 compression MAX)
(Still need to buy the following):
- HP oil pump
- Comp Cams XE274H
- Electronic Igniton from Joe White and Rick Ehrenberg
- An air grabber intake would be nice
- Rebuild the original torque converter to match the cam or buy a neutral balance flex plate and torque converter
Sounds like a nice build. Right now I’m gonna just enjoy mine down the road I do plan some mods to the motor or maybe putting a stroker in it. Have to see where the funds are at.

Went to change the valve cover gaskets tonite because the drivers side was leaking. When I pulled the drivers side valve cover off I found these plastic pieces on top of the head. Mostly at the bottom left and bottom right of the head. Look at the pics and u can see. Feels like plastic and it’s not magnetic. Am I correct in this is the plastic timing gear has broken loose? Car has been running fine etc.... just went to change the gaskets. Also I had already taken the broken pieces out of the one side. 383-2 barrel.

E312AF62-A618-427D-81BA-DB8E8EAFD370.jpeg

266C5382-165D-45A1-8DFB-73BAA7D141ED.jpeg

970B03A9-4CCF-46CF-8D66-FBB0824016EA.jpeg

86EE7383-C660-463C-AB47-D418CDC1914B.jpeg

BA73EC97-5B6F-4CF8-8115-4ABC15FB214B.jpeg

6F073800-0E06-4BE3-998F-31B53DCD1CA5.jpeg

C2AD393B-9127-4344-9AD5-FCD56BD5C38D.jpeg

AC54C1F7-CCAE-43D2-A62B-4D19D65729E1.jpeg

Went to change the valve cover gaskets tonite because the drivers side was leaking. When I pulled the drivers side valve cover off I found these plastic pieces on top of the head. Mostly at the bottom left and bottom right of the head. Look at the pics and u can see. Feels like plastic and it’s not magnetic. Am I correct in this is the plastic timing gear has broken loose? Car has been running fine etc.... just went to change the gaskets. Also I had already taken the broken pieces out of the one side. 383-2 barrel.

View attachment 456367

View attachment 456368

View attachment 456369

View attachment 456370

View attachment 456371

View attachment 456372

View attachment 456373

View attachment 456374
Either that or the valve seals fell apart.

Probably both.

Time to tear the motor apart.

This is my 70 383-2...
20210116_130600.jpg
20210116_130607.jpg

The chunks you cant see found a home in the oil pick up...I'm sure of it.
20210116_130613.jpg

I just thought it could be pieces of the timing gear that circulated up there somehow. Valve stem seals make since there right there.
It was running fine etc.... I just went to change the valve cover gaskets and found that.
It’s only supposed to have 37,000 original miles but it is 50 years old and who knows what kind of maintenance was done to it etc..

I’m assuming my best bet would be to tear the motor down and freshen it up? Obviously needs new valve seals.

And thinks everyone for answering my questions and being helpful. I know a little but not a lot about these cars and your knowledge is very helpful! And I truly appreciate u taking the time to help me out etc...

I would agree. Looks nasty. Like I said was supposed to be 37,000 miles but who knows. I do think the car only has that on it- but the motor most not have seen to many oil changes

In looking at least the front seat bottom (attachment 450735), it appears it has been redone, which might suggest higher miles. On the other hand, the dash pad looks good, the exhaust manifold intake heat shield is still present and the pretty good looking windshield washer fluid bottle suggest lower miles.

71_Polara0005.jpg

Last edited:
I would agree. Looks nasty. Like I said was supposed to be 37,000 miles but who knows. I do think the car only has that on it- but the motor most not have seen to many oil changes

In looking at at least the front seat bottom (attachment 450735), it appears it has been redone, which might suggest higher miles. On the other hand, the dash pad looks good, the exhaust manifold intake heat shield is still present and the pretty good looking windshield washer fluid bottle suggest lower miles.

View attachment 456863

I definitely believe it's low miles. My '71 Polara suffered the same fate, as many low mileage, old car's do, being parked for long periods of time without moving. Hence, the low miles. They present very well, but there is some work to do to get them back up to snuff.

Thanks for the interior photos! I thought that looked too plain to be stock. Although I think some fleet car's had the seamless treatment for ease of cleaning.

Last owner said that the front seat bottom had been redone. He had it redone due to a tear. Don’t know if that was due to high mileage or not. I would think it’s possible that could need redone due to age.

Last edited:
Our seats were bad in 1975/6 when the car car was bought with 47000 miles. Dash pad even had a few cracks in it.

Little update I put the valve covers back on- got what I could see of the pieces of the seals out and. And the oil has stopped leaking. Changed the oil and filter.

Yesterday I picked up a 76 400 out of a truck dirt cheap so I’m gonna build that for the my Polara. Almost have it completely taken part 4 pistons and the crank left and that’s it. Ran out of time. Don’t know if I well stroke the 400 or just try to get higher compression pistons for it. Will be getting a cam, 4 barrel intake, heads etc... I want more power so I will have to plan all that out. Will take me awhile to build this but that’s my plan.
In the meantime I will just drive the Polara as is and enjoy it.

Little update on my Polara got the radiator recored and got it back today. It’s back together and all looks good. Been working a ton so haven’t posted much. Here is a couple pics of the radiator after I picked it up today.

71542E69-2A80-4D99-B7C5-29AA95B8A16F.jpeg

BDFAA005-DCE6-4A53-A6C0-AF855ECC3EF3.jpeg

Congrats on the great find! Either the cop car 15x7 steels or the 15x7 '79 Magnum GT wheels will look good on the car, even with whitewalls and hub caps (on the cop car wheels).

Finesse it and enjoy it!
CBODY67

White letters even better, especially with the B7.

Being a sharp 4 door reminds me of the Gator McClusky Ford, Just need a 4 speed lol

I like these Dodge full wheelcovers the best...for one they fit 15 inch wheels that just look better than the 14s. The other period correct look would be the aluminum red circle Dodge dogs...this way you could again switch to 15 inch wheels.

I also had a 1971 Polara Sedan...solid cars they are.View attachment 451376 View attachment 451378

Those are some of the best looking Mopar wheel covers ever.

Also love those red stripe dodge dog dishes.

Little update I put the valve covers back on- got what I could see of the pieces of the seals out and. And the oil has stopped leaking. Changed the oil and filter.

Yesterday I picked up a 76 400 out of a truck dirt cheap so I’m gonna build that for the my Polara. Almost have it completely taken part 4 pistons and the crank left and that’s it. Ran out of time. Don’t know if I well stroke the 400 or just try to get higher compression pistons for it. Will be getting a cam, 4 barrel intake, heads etc... I want more power so I will have to plan all that out. Will take me awhile to build this but that’s my plan.
In the meantime I will just drive the Polara as is and enjoy it.

Sounds like a great idea to build the 400 and have minimal down time, probably should consider rebuilding the trans too. Do you have an extra trans?

Back