My Alternator Education Starts Here.

commando1

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Next on the Agenda for my '76 NYB is a Sanden a.c. compressor conversion.
There are complete kits out there for Mopar BB's EXCEPT for Formals with the 100A alternator option which uses a humongous elephant ear bracket used on no other cars. I've talked to the conversion kit companies, including Boulichon (sp?) and they all say their plug n play conversion kits will not work with BB's with my stock OEM 100A alternator/bracket setup.
OK. So I don't mind changing to a more common style alternator/bracket setup.
Here is my alternator. It cannot be used with the Mopar common brackets out there according to my research. Maybe I am wrong?

PicsArt_03-28-05.19.43.jpg

So what I hope to do
smiley-angelic011.gif
is to use a new Mopar 100+A alternator in standard brackets AND still be plug n play with my wiring. Can I do this? I know crap about alternator wiring. I know it spins and electricity comes out...

Last edited:
I have faith in ya Stan, if you can install a four speed you'll get the alternator figured out. Let me know if you ditch that big bracket, I might have a home for it.

Please post pictures.

And play by play notes please.

I may convert both of mine.

Denso 121000 4040 - early Dakota?
I have been planning the swap but won't get to it soon.
I bought the brackets at Garlits, you are welcome to use them to fab yours up before you spend money on brackets that don't work.
I am missing the spacers and bolts, so that would take some trial and error. Let me know if you want them, I'll send them to you .

Edit-http://www.discountstarterandalternator.com/p-1030-alternator-dodge-5234199-al6510n-211-0121-121000-4040.aspx?CAGPSPN=pla&gclid=CjwKEAjwrOO3BRCX55-L9_WojHoSJAAPxcSPT1U7gJq-91nPGg7pRQHOs8JorPym1W_IBUGhkmDZkxoChKjw_wcB

I have faith in ya Stan, if you can install a four speed you'll get the alternator figured out. Let me know if you ditch that big bracket, I might have a home for it.
It's a monster. If it goes, Ill post it here so you know. Just remind me that you called dibs on it, ☺

You will have to ditch the mammoth 100 amp alt and its bracket. Source a bracket for the old style squareback alternator and the nippondenso will bolt in there. Might have to grind the output stud for clearance to the head. Will need to replace the terminals on the stock wires, but green and blue hook to field and the fat black to output stud. Thats as plug and play as you are gonna get. Just a little crimping and soldering.

You will have to ditch the mammoth 100 amp alt and its bracket. Source a bracket for the old style squareback alternator and the nippondenso will bolt in there. Might have to grind the output stud for clearance to the head. Will need to replace the terminals on the stock wires, but green and blue hook to field and the fat black to output stud. Thats as plug and play as you are gonna get. Just a little crimping and soldering.

Draw it out for me. lol... Yah. I'm that stupid.

PicsArt_03-28-08.37.46.jpg

And the bolt hole in the nippondenso for tightening up after tensioning the belt isn't threaded, so you will have to back it up with a nut.

A=1 and 2, doesnt matter which goes where, A is actually 2 wires, blue and green field wires.

B=3, 12v charge output

C= ground, on your 100A you will notice it goes right to the mount bracket. On the Nippondenso don't worry about it. The old squarebacks ground through the case to the braket and the nippondenso will too

My 1978 NYB has the 100a behemoth, I was just looking at it to verify.

A=1 and 2, doesnt matter which goes where, A is actually 2 wires, blue and green field wires.

B=3, 12v charge output

C= ground, on your 100A you will notice it goes right to the mount bracket. On the Nippondenso don't worry about it. The old squarebacks ground through the case to the braket and the nippondenso will too
You made this really simple. Your info was priceless.
Thanks very, very, much.

Back