My D440 project

not bad , it would run all day at that . with no work n just cool play . i like to set a pace and maintain it . sometimes reaching for it can get old quick .
I have some old style traction bars. The kind that bolt to the U bolts & then have a square loop that clamps down up front to the leaf spring. Think those would help with the wheel hop

IMG_1085.JPG
IMG_1084.JPG
IMG_1086.JPG
The red Cuda left as soon as his top bulb came on which distracted me & caused me to look over at his tree which was still comming down & he was gone so I had a terrible light as a result. No big deal. Just a test pass anyway but one of the many things I was interested in was how well the truck reacted. The wheel hopping is so bad that I got to get that fixed before I can work on reaction times. Also the slant 6 springs up front & the soft springs in the rear make the truck stand up while going down the track with that 440 motor home torque. Looks like a 4x4

IMG_1130.JPG
IMG_1128.JPG
IMG_1126.JPG
IMG_1121.JPG
IMG_1124.JPG
IMG_1123.JPG
I fabbed up some old school traction bars today for the truck to help with the wheel hop. Since it's a spring over axel traction bars won't fit as designed. A guy on Facebook told me he shortened a pair & mounted them in front of the axel. Said it worked fine on his truck. So that's what I did. I put rubber strips between the mounting points & cut the rubber stopper down. Hopefully soon I can get it back to a track & see if this at least helps with the wheel hop. If it does then I can work on traction. I'm only leaving the line at 1000 RPM. But it's that 440 Motorhome Torque that's killing the rear suspension when I floor it.

Last edited:
You live in a pretty rural area I would be out making a few launches to see if the bars made the difference.

Where I am at we are about 4-5 miles out of town and I am right on the corner of a paved rd and a gravel rd. Neighbors about 1/4 mile away I can just pull out and go.

You could teach them something about science! That's makes it a little tougher to be subtle.
I could teach the kids over there a lot of stuff. But I'm 100 yards away from the modern world. I get tickled over that Liberty Insurance commercial where the teenage boy can't change a tire so his mom had to buy a road side policy. I was changing engines at his age. In fact when I was 17 me & a bud where broke down on the side of the road in a 66 Mercury 390. We where cleaning the points when a Highway Patrolman pulled up & asked if we needed any help. We told him we where good. He waved & pulled off. Times have changed.

IMG_1280.JPG
IMG_1277.JPG
I broke out my buffer & compound this weekend and started trying to bring what's left of the paint out. Still need to do the passenger side but boy does that driver side , hood & roof look good !

IMG_1279.JPG
IMG_1283.JPG
IMG_1282.JPG
IMG_1281.JPG
Also decide to address the rust on the driver's bed side. This is just a temp fix. I'll do a more permanent fix later

I bet there is a guy close to you that could take care of that after he finishes your other cars

IMG_1463.JPG
IMG_1465.JPG
Got the D440 loaded up & will be headed to the MOPAR Madness event tomorrow. Traction bars install. Guess I'll find out tomorrow if they help. Check out that paint. Got 10 hours in that old paint & man does it shine. Got all that glue off the doors. I think I'm going to reinstall the side mouldings on the doors & fenders.

Back