My D440 project

last times i ran in a p/u was my 37 d100 with a mildly wild 331 hipo street cammed tall c/r ported heads good intake and carb n headers 425-450hp in 2800 lbs p/u , just a driver you know , lol . couldn't keep a footing under the tires . burned them the length of the 1/4 first pass . looked back in the mirror to see the track filled with smoke . thought i blow it up . but my date said your burning up the tires all the way . those were just street rubber . hope your grabs hold some . haven't tracked orangy yet , tranny is to soft . plans are later front pump and drive clutches ect.. in the typewriter case with a rear pump as before . been gathering new parts and 71 up to 77 727's for that long bushing support as well . even got a dvd . and the tranny book from munroe . just time holding it back , lol .

I doubt it will hook up. No place to put a snubber. I need to install a track bar. However I doubt I will drag it much. Mainly built this as a hot rod. I have some old school traction bars I may put on it just for looks. I don't expect them to help. Just look cool.

IMG_0814.JPG
While working on the D440 I had to walk over to my parts truck in a small field next to my shop where I keep most of my parts cars. On the way back I took a path near the woods as I wanted to see what the construction crew was doing. I walked up on this little fellow. I stopped & said hello then went on. Then I thought I bet he's looking water. They have cleared all the land behind me & graded it & he no longer has any water/mud holes to go in. So I went back & picked him up & put him in my tire troff which had just a bit of water. Sure enough. After a few seconds he popped out of his shell & streached his neck way out into the water & was drinking. I watched for a while. I came back later & he was gone. Surprised, I thought he was sit there for a while.

Last edited:
What you didn't want to keep a pet turtle??? It could have been your garage turtle.:D

Only pet I have in the garage is a giant Bee, it's frickin huge!

Truck looks good, should be a fun toy for the street.

Last edited:
has as cool as the peahen laying eggs on the hood of one of the chevy pick ups in the barn garage , lol . thats a good thing you did for those miss placed cridder , first of many i fear .
DSC00861.JPG
DSC00862.JPG
DSC00863.JPG
DSC00864.JPG

IMG_0931.JPG
IMG_0930.JPG
Ok I got the D440 cleaned up & loaded up. Headed out to MOPAR Mania at Piedmont Dragway tomorrow. Just going to make some TNT passes for now to see how she runs. I'm hoping for a 9.70 but I'll see. It's been 14 months since I've been down a track. Was hoping to have FURYIOUS ready for this event but she's too far from being completed for even a TNT. It's been a long road to get this truck to this point. Still a lot of work needs to be done

IMG_0955.JPG
IMG_0956.JPG
Well I made 3 passes in the D440. This was the 3rd & final pass. I left at idle, rolled out about 10 feet & floored it. It hooked & ran a 9.64 which is better than I was hopeing. The first two passes I tried to launch it & it just blew the tires off. A track bar & DOT slicks & it just might drop into the 8's. The first pic is the time ticket. I'm in the right lane #87. The second pic is me sitting in the truck in the staging lanes.

Last edited:
looks like a heap of fun . drive there and racer a few times . then enjoy and drive it home . and a sand bag over the rear end or up against the tail gate for some weight transfer , kick the nose up with some gas shocks . you might just pull the race car with this pick up . just so you could run all night . great fun bob . how fast before roll bars ?

looks like a heap of fun . drive there and racer a few times . then enjoy and drive it home . and a sand bag over the rear end or up against the tail gate for some weight transfer , kick the nose up with some gas shocks . you might just pull the race car with this pick up . just so you could run all night . great fun bob . how fast before roll bars ?
It's got slant 6 springs up front.

This is a motor home engine with headers, a Demon 625 carb & 3.91 sure grip. Roll off the starting line at idle & run a 9.64 in a 4 thousand plus pound truck. Leaving it in drive. That's not too shabby. The truck pulled hard too. Can you say TORQUE ! Just imaging if this engine was in a 3200 B body drag car with a manual shift valve body.

IMG_0959.JPG
I was going to reinstall the side moldings but I'm thinking about taking them off the bed as well & leaving them off.

I would take them off, remove all the glue/double sided tape and buff the paint the best I could and drive the crap out of it.

not bad , it would run all day at that . with no work n just cool play . i like to set a pace and maintain it . sometimes reaching for it can get old quick .

Back