My D440 project

got a 650 spread bore holley made for a motorhome swap .
DSC09432.JPG
DSC09439.JPG
DSC09443.JPG
direct bolt on your spread bore intake , bob it doesn't have any motor time on it , mostly shelf time , lol .

well it has some shelf time , things dry up . but it was on a running 440 in a late 70's p/u .
Let me clean up this 650 Carter. It even has an electric choke on it. I've tried to sell it & no interest so I might as well try it. Thanks Missile

no'p . never liked them that much . i think that dual pattern on the afb , is early afb pattern and the square bore holley foot print . don't thing spread bore will is there . just try a gasket on the base . should be enough to tell you . and your afb is a larger mouth ? maybe a weber built one , is it dull alum finish ? or polished looking ? got a weber version afb on my 64 d100's 383 , works good after a few hours of tuning n calibrating . had to fatten it up , lost some mileage . but gained ponies , lol .

no'p . never liked them that much . i think that dual pattern on the afb , is early afb pattern and the square bore holley foot print . don't thing spread bore will is there . just try a gasket on the base . should be enough to tell you . and your afb is a larger mouth ? maybe a weber built one , is it dull alum finish ? or polished looking ? got a weber version afb on my 64 d100's 383 , works good after a few hours of tuning n calibrating . had to fatten it up , lost some mileage . but gained ponies , lol .
It's a Carter. Store bought.

IMG_0414.JPG
IMG_9240.JPG
I couldn't get the Thermoquad right after countless tuning & road trips. So I bought a new Demon 625 spreadbore & a heat shield. Along with a 1/2 spacer I already had. Bolted in on & it runs great right out of the box. 18 inches of vacumn at 800 curb idle. Starts easy hot or cold. Runs great. Just a bit of a bog at WOT from cruise. So I will tighten the air door a bit. I read the reviews on Summits site & several reported their carbs where great right out of the box. I played around with the mixture screws, idle speed & timing & I can't get it any better so I put everything back except the timing. Mainly so I can use the crappy 87. This truck is fast especially with that 3:91 sure grip. I got some electrical gremlins with the lights to iron out. My main ground looks frayed. A few other things. Hopefully I can get on the body soon. I've got 3 active projects going on. This truck, FURYIOUS & the 300 at Wollfen's shop. And two on hold. The 72 Coronet wagon & the 67 Belvedere. I'm in deep. Hopefully I can get the D440 on the road soon & play a little. Terrorize the imports. Another thing. Lowering back of the truck seems to have helped the handling a ton. Before with that big 440 up front on the slant six coils it was scary entering a curve. Now it's just cautious.

Last edited:
hey bob , looking good bud . would have sold you that holley if i knew your themo was bye bye . but heres some pics of my d2'440crew (oranger) , lol . got a used dash harness for it , the one that was init just needed to much make offer . so the truck i bagged the steering column and instruments from , and all the switches was a donnor again . but a deal of rust on the fuse holders fingers . so wd-40 to my res'que . soaking them for a couple days in some old stuff 15 yr old wd40 . so i just switched over to new stuff today freash wd40 . but heres a couple pics of the engine swap getting read for some parts painting . and back together again . then some brake work . got to shorten up the driveline and install a slip yoke , harness and electric choke on the carb install also . but getting closer . and i hope that the mopar turquoise color on the engine yellows out a bit . so the coil bracket will match , lol .
DSC01052.JPG
DSC01051.JPG
DSC01050.JPG
DSC01049.JPG
DSC01048.JPG

hey bob , looking good bud . would have sold you that holley if i knew your themo was bye bye . but heres some pics of my d2'440crew (oranger) , lol . got a used dash harness for it , the one that was init just needed to much make offer . so the truck i bagged the steering column and instruments from , and all the switches was a donnor again . but a deal of rust on the fuse holders fingers . so wd-40 to my res'que . soaking them for a couple days in some old stuff 15 yr old wd40 . so i just switched over to new stuff today freash wd40 . but heres a couple pics of the engine swap getting read for some parts painting . and back together again . then some brake work . got to shorten up the driveline and install a slip yoke , harness and electric choke on the carb install also . but getting closer . and i hope that the mopar turquoise color on the engine yellows out a bit . so the coil bracket will match , lol . View attachment 137781 View attachment 137782 View attachment 137783 View attachment 137784 View attachment 137785
That looks pretty awesome. Should run good

i'm hoping thats right on , the money i've spent and parts i've donated and time i've spent . it should run great . that chrysler nyr ran great . now with these few extras to get it to breath better and ign mods should make it pull sweet too . for now its going to look the same . just a cleaner clean job no resto . maybe after the disc brake conversion . but its a work truck , pleasure is when you get there . and it should drag n carry most anything along for fun as well . thats going to be a great pic my 63 sport fury with the 470 mw ready to race behind this mule , lol . almost like 1969 has returned , all faded n dented , lol .
DSC07920.JPG
Fury.png

man there are no close local tracks anymore . so driving it to the track racing it , breaking something and get towed home just isn't the same anymore , lol . so this should be funner , lol . just got done putting the better uncracked
DSC07928.JPG
dash pad on it , next up harness n switches and the instrument panel . again from the donnor truck . thinking some real read auto meters gauges , vac , temp , oil press in a three bracket could make it a better long haul driver , and a tach too . nice to really know what going on . pics to come .

IMG_0807.JPG
Spent the day working on the D440. I got all the exterior lights working. Everything works finally. Then I painted the front wheels white so all my wheels match now.

Back