My First Project Car. 68 New Yorker 2 door. Help Needed!

IIRC, there is a difference between water pumps for cars with and without A/C.

Do you remember where you got your new water pump from? I'm going to replace that aswell.

I certainly do remember. I found it at a vendor table in the Carlisle swap meet for $15.00. Of course, there was no gasket. I found another guy with a correct gasket who wanted $12.00 for it! WTF ?!?. Told the guy I was stranded on the show field and desperately needed the gasket. Finally, he relented and gave it to me for $5.00. You should be able to get a pump from RockAuto or NAPA pretty easy.

FWIW I got the water pump for my Newport (383) at NAPA and it's fine.

Love your car! OP - Finding a local parts source...usually NAPA in my area, can help. That pump is common and if you find an old Mopar guy behind the counter it will pay off.

Love your car! OP - Finding a local parts source...usually NAPA in my area, can help. That pump is common and if you find an old Mopar guy behind the counter it will pay off.
I'll just take it to my local Napa. Thankfully all the guys I've seen working there are older gentlemen so hopefully they can check it out and order it right away! As of right now though I'm low on funds so it's more bodywork this week. It's got a decent amount of surface rust so I'm going to get it down to bare metal and get it primered. I will have to fix two very small rust holes that are bb sized but I'll fix that when I do the main paint job. I just want the current rust gone. So long ugly Burgundy color..

Hello everyone! I'm a 22 year old car enthusiast that's always loved classics and just purchased my first old Mopar! It's a 1968 Chrysler New Yorker 2 door hard top with the 440 and I have a few questions. So the car apparently just needs a carburetor and I've seen a few people recommend a 750cfm carb from Holley or Edelbrock but I'm looking for someone who has experience with the 440 that could lead me in the right direction on a decent carb to get the car on the road again! The cheaper the better just something that won't starve my engine or anything. Also if anyone has any info on where I could find a 68 New Yorker front bumper and front left quarter? Thanks so much! - River

View attachment 351786
I own one of these and have for 12 years. Don't waste your time rebuilding a used carb someone offers. Go get yourself a new Edelbrock 600 CFM AFB with electric choke. Get the adapter for the fuel line fitting. Your stock air cleaner will fit. It is plug and play. Bolt it on and don't look back. Make sure your kickdown linkage/TV rod is properly connected to avoid burning up the transmission. Once you have it in good mechanical condition you can start working on the front end. These need a lot of work. I've put 45,000 miles on mine since I bought it. I have 9 old cars. This is my go to car

Dan

Chrysler 15.jpg

I own one of these and have for 12 years. Don't waste your time rebuilding a used carb someone offers. Go get yourself a new Edelbrock 600 CFM AFB with electric choke. Get the adapter for the fuel line fitting. Your stock air cleaner will fit. It is plug and play. Bolt it on and don't look back. Make sure your kickdown linkage/TV rod is properly connected to avoid burning up the transmission. Once you have it in good mechanical condition you can start working on the front end. These need a lot of work. I've put 45,000 miles on mine since I bought it. I have 9 old cars. This is my go to car

Dan

View attachment 361955
Carb’s already taken care of by one of the best.

I'll just take it to my local Napa. Thankfully all the guys I've seen working there are older gentlemen so hopefully they can check it out and order it right away! As of right now though I'm low on funds so it's more bodywork this week. It's got a decent amount of surface rust so I'm going to get it down to bare metal and get it primered. I will have to fix two very small rust holes that are bb sized but I'll fix that when I do the main paint job. I just want the current rust gone. So long ugly Burgundy color..

Hey now don’t hate on the Burgundy color. :D

5ED0E7AE-00C6-480F-B95E-1066D63C7FC2.jpeg

As of right now though I'm low on funds so it's more bodywork this week. It's got a decent amount of surface rust so I'm going to get it down to bare metal and get it primered. I will have to fix two very small rust holes that are bb sized but I'll fix that when I do the main paint job. I just want the current rust gone. So long ugly Burgundy color..
Give the RR1 burgundy a chance....Pics of my old 68 NYer..sold her in 2010.
DSC01433.JPG

DSC01439.JPG

IMG_1659.jpg

I use to feel indifferent towards my Burgundy New Yorker. Mainly because I have 6 cars, and 4 of them are red. I don’t even like red! But slowly the burgundy grew on me and I see it as such an elegant/classy color. What you need to do is give it a deep and thorough buff to bring that color out!

In my opinion, a New Yorker only belongs in a few conservative colors.
Burgundy, Black, Silver, Dark Blue, etc.

169F29D6-3D49-4CA1-A1E4-2E3EC8A72F91.jpeg

1473843A-34DC-4DBE-B2BA-B0EA626586BE.jpeg

I use to feel indifferent towards my Burgundy New Yorker. Mainly because I have 6 cars, and 4 of them are red. I don’t even like red! But slowly the burgundy grew on me and I see it as such an elegant/classy color. What you need to do is give it a deep and thorough buff to bring that color out!

In my opinion, a New Yorker only belongs in a few conservative colors.
Burgundy, Black, Silver, Dark Blue, etc.

View attachment 362566

View attachment 362567

Now this is a car that's screaming for a set of white walls.

Back