My new ‘64 Imperial convertible

So I had started messing with a bunch of small projects here and there while I was waiting on the floor pans from @SGT FURY and now I’m trying to finish them before I really sink my teeth into those pans. The brakes and suspension are all but finished, just need to bleed them and get an alignment before being able to drive it. I had the dash apart to replace the push button gear selector so I started cleaning up switches, bezels and replacing dash light bulbs etc and I still want to finish that. In fact I think I’ll pull the steering column too before attacking the floors. I replaced the outside door handle on the driver’s side with a nicer one, that lead to finding that the door lock solenoids wasn’t working so I replaced it too. Next was replacing the window regulator because someone hacked it up while trying to fix the window motor I’m guessing.:BangHead:
08E49236-6EFE-4723-BA47-9FEB59BE196F.jpeg
230729D4-EB56-46EE-970E-E5A9D48080B7.jpeg

The old handle was missing the eagle and the key didn’t work in the tumbler so I dismantled it, got it working and put it in a much nicer handle.:thumbsup:
5A40E871-85E6-41EA-832E-837C4FF7FF6A.jpeg
B1DD0998-4079-4187-A487-EF63F674C97E.jpeg

In the process of the above I noticed that the wiring for power vents is present even though it didn’t have them originally and also that someone drilled a hole in the switch bezel:mad:. I went through my inventory of bezels and found the only other one I have with power windows and door locks is in very poor condition too but that I have several with power everything that are in really nice condition. I also have extra working vent window motors, hmmm...:rolleyes:
It seems the only thing I’m missing is power vent window frames, hello Murray? Yep he’s got a nice pair for me.:)
034609A1-CC01-4BA6-A991-B3FD92066239.jpeg
2F52F460-EB81-447A-857D-4D4EB5B3E15C.jpeg
70B4681F-910C-4C6F-A660-38C7238F94F3.jpeg

I've never been able to figure out what that white toggle at the base of the switch panel is for. Obviously not locks, because that is at the top and clearly labelled. Is that to lock the power window function out from the other seats? Ejection seat switch? Ball-warmer? I really don't know.

I've never been able to figure out what that white toggle at the base of the switch panel is for. Obviously not locks, because that is at the top and clearly labelled. Is that to lock the power window function out from the other seats? Ejection seat switch? Ball-warmer? I really don't know.
Yes window locks. Still no glove box owners manual?

It’s official, all my Imps now have titles!:thumbsup:
6843B620-6E06-48BB-8D65-DE32B1737196.jpeg

My search for an interior solution for this car has ended. Not only did I find a complete set of seats in one of my top 3 color choices, it came with matching door and interior panels and several other parts that I was either missing or that are better than what I have.
it is also possible that I could take an almost mint convertible only floor pan and a low mileage ‘66 8 3/4” rear axle to replace the original tapered axle unit but I need to pull the center out for an inspection first.:)
unfortunately that means that a restorable ‘66 vert with less than 40k original miles on it will be sacrificed further which has given me some pause. The ‘66 had already had its drivetrain removed as well as the passenger quarter panel and some other odd and ends. It also has no title but that’s not a deal breaker here in MI.
the only real rust issues that the ‘66 did have is isolated to the sheet metal on the front clip caused by a leaky barn roof, all bolt on stuff.
D6B058C0-7CE9-41C9-B7A5-007E55AD9B62.jpeg
F13EBC10-049E-47FD-854B-CB172A9222BD.jpeg
0048EA7D-395C-4E42-BDDA-2FF6384B6543.jpeg
173558E3-B3FF-4A32-9096-8EA2AA844A7D.jpeg

When do you work?
:lol:
Actually before this parts car came onto my radar it had been a couple of months since I had time to touch any of the project cars. I HAD to make time for it.

I think the only route to potentially save the parts car is to use this for the bolt on items you need for your convertible...especially swapping away the tapered axles...I hate those with a passion.

I'd use the interior and axle, put the tapered axle back under the parts car and sell what's left on to someone else. But I have a pathological desire to save all Imperials, so...

If any more cutting is done (the floor), I think the parts car is a lost cause as a potential "easy" project to sell on to someone wanting to realize a rare convertible opportunity by merging the parts car with, say, a Coupe.

If the 64 floors are bad (I didn't think they were) and you need to start cutting, then go all in and de-rust the 64 as to the max with the crazy nice parts from this car. Keep all convertible items (top frame etc) from the parts car to sell on after the car is fully utilized, because we all know how difficult Imperial stuff is to find.

I think that is the situation.

I do have a full pan cut in sections from @SGT FURY from a 4 door that I was going to have to make work with a little extra creative Fab work which I still can do. The floor from a convertible is unlike any other because of the X frame, also convertible only, so the floor in this convertible makes me want the floor in my ‘64 to be as perfect. Something I can obviously get over.
The passenger side floor is almost non existent in the ‘64 and there are some thin spots on the driver’s side. It’s really the only rust in the car, it must have sat with wet carpet for many years.
if there’s no rust inside the rear axle, which can sometimes be the case on a car that sat motionless for many years in a damp barn it would be a no brainer to put a 36k mile axle under the ‘64.
As far as the dash is concerned I would swap out all of the red stuff for the blue everywhere. I mean I was in need of seat belts and sun visors too before this car came along. What I do have of the original red interior are really nice door and interior panels which I would just put away in safe storage so they would always be with the car. Essentially my ‘64 would have a complete ‘66 white over blue interior with the only glitch being my minty red hard boot covers. I could never alter those too match nor could I ever picture them in use with the new interior so if I ever had to have a boot cover it would have to be a custom made soft one in blue or white.
I’m going to attempt to deep clean the blue carpet and maybe try painting it like I did with the Directors original low miles carpet but it was black.
I wouldn’t want black carpet with the blue and white but if a blue dye or paint didn’t work I wouldn’t be apposed to gray similar to the exterior.

My search for an interior solution for this car has ended. Not only did I find a complete set of seats in one of my top 3 color choices, it came with matching door and interior panels and several other parts that I was either missing or that are better than what I have.
it is also possible that I could take an almost mint convertible only floor pan and a low mileage ‘66 8 3/4” rear axle to replace the original tapered axle unit but I need to pull the center out for an inspection first.:)
unfortunately that means that a restorable ‘66 vert with less than 40k original miles on it will be sacrificed further which has given me some pause. The ‘66 had already had its drivetrain removed as well as the passenger quarter panel and some other odd and ends. It also has no title but that’s not a deal breaker here in MI.
the only real rust issues that the ‘66 did have is isolated to the sheet metal on the front clip caused by a leaky barn roof, all bolt on stuff.
View attachment 509630View attachment 509631View attachment 509632View attachment 509633

Gorgeous, Matt. Just gorgeous!

Back