My new 1972 Imperial purchase delivered today.

Found a little detail about car and a nice manual in the trunk.
20170727_104711.jpg

Hey, ease up on the guy! He's still exited he got the car, and he took off all that crap you hated, you should be proud.:poke:
Don't worry guys...I have very thick skin...the big red clown car is gonna go thru a transformation...I'm gonna take some heat til ALL the accessories are removed and buried...that sunroof still bugs me...****would be rather funny to see you guys roast me if I put my typical "Cragar rim spin" on this red one...like my other ones...

Hey, ease up on the guy! He's still exited he got the car, and he took off all that crap you hated, you should be proud.:poke:
It has been a week and 3 days since I got it...I was just down at DMV again and again push back...new computers in Minnesota and they can't completely process my app for new Collector plates until maybe next week...booster and master coming out today...new master waiting in box and rebuilt booster should be back in about 10 days...It's going back to Illinois ironically...where car originated.

I just saw this 1970 for sale on Ebay today...I thought my car's previous owner was the only sidepipe guru.
sidepipes70.jpg
bigredbackgroundbest.jpg

I had just seen this a hour or so ago, when it sold at Unique auto out of Mankato, and was just looking at that same ad. Yep, that car went through Minnesota. I'm very ashamed at my state.
Wow...I didn't know it was local...I actually had Unique Auto out of Mankato do some tranny work on my '59 last fall...I didn't see it in their inventory...

Wow...I didn't know it was local...I actually had Unique Auto out of Mankato do some tranny work on my '59 last fall...I didn't see it in their inventory...
It was in the sold inventory online. I felt like Stan when I saw it, "wtf is wrong with this world".

This is yet another example of my thinking no one at ChryCo was really riding herd on C-bodies during the Fuselage era. Seems like each assignment was handled in autonomy with little supervision.
Three dash panels!! Engineering and Accounting just seemed to not care when it came to Fuselages.
Strange thing was, the Cbodies were Chrysler's bread and butter, that's where they made the most money, that changed by the mid 70's when the gas crisis hit and the A body sales took off. But early 70's it was still Cbody cars being the main staple.

lettering.jpg
I found my first set of rear qtr lettering that was missing on Big Red. I'll see how they look in person after being shipped.

Make sure you have the "I" 's in the right direction. In the picture you have posted, for example, the first "I" is upside down, the second is correct. The thicker end of the "I" goes down, due to the curvature of the body. If you look real close all the letters are a tad thinner on the top. But the "I" 's are very easy to mix up. If you don't get it right, they just don't look good. When I bought my '73 one was upside down. I knew something didn't look right. Also it was just whisker higher in the row. Kinda like typewriter with a bad letter/key. Good luck getting them installed. With any luck maybe you can see the original hole from the inside of the trunk. Or get a pro to do it. All those letters and if one is up or down or crooked in the row.... well you know:BangHead:

Make sure you have the "I" 's in the right direction. In the picture you have posted, for example, the first "I" is upside down, the second is correct. The thicker end of the "I" goes down, due to the curvature of the body. If you look real close all the letters are a tad thinner on the top. But the "I" 's are very easy to mix up. If you don't get it right, they just don't look good. When I bought my '73 one was upside down. I knew something didn't look right. Also it was just whisker higher in the row. Kinda like typewriter with a bad letter/key. Good luck getting them installed. With any luck maybe you can see the original hole from the inside of the trunk. Or get a pro to do it. All those letters and if one is up or down or crooked in the row.... well you know:BangHead:
Thanks for feedback...I located the holes in trunk...I think if I carefully drill with Dremel from inside trunk thru the thin primer and paint layers Big Red had awhile back in the original holes I should be okay?... and trunk had a layer of black undercoating or soundproofing material as well...But, holes are easily located for all letters.

Back