My unexpected Hurst 300 Find

Several weeks ago a Facebook acquaintance posted pics of a 300 Hurst w/ the caption, Well Dave here is your car. After some PM messages I decided to make a road trip. Another individual asked if I would inspect it for him. I agreed to inspect it over for him and send him photos and my opinion of its condition. Looking the Hurst over thoroughly I made a list up of repairs to be done. What makes this such a good find is the most offend damaged areas of this car was in very good shape. My client backed out declaring that It would cost him more than he thought I was worth. The opportunity was now in front of me to own my dream car. I have wanted and searched for a Hurst 300 since 2009. Most of them then were either derelict condition or way overpriced. I gave them a cash offer price. they were uncommitted and couldn't give me an answer. I headed home to ponder my fate. I was just getting on I-70 when broker calls and says we were off by about a $1000 and would I accept this offer. After several minutes of conversation, I said let me think this over as I had atriculated the cost of repairs were far above the $1000 difference. Iwas home in Brownsburg about 10 minutes they called back and accepted my offer. Here are some photos.

View attachment 633780

View attachment 633781

View attachment 633782

View attachment 633783

View attachment 633784

View attachment 633785

View attachment 633786

View attachment 633787

View attachment 633788

View attachment 633789

Me too, late to this party. However, congrats! That's an amazing survivor, and it's also my dream car. I need another Mopar like a hole in the head, but I'd make an exception for this one. Enjoy!

I received this unexpected surprise i the mail today. A copy of the original owners title from the seller. Also included were several display placards from the original owner car shows attended in Wash. St. It is now known who the original owner was Bruce Niamy. Maybe one of our FCBO members can fill in more blanks about him or the car.

20240117_161240.jpg

20240117_161255.jpg

20240117_161325.jpg

20240117_161338.jpg

I received this unexpected surprise i the mail today. A copy of the original owners title from the seller. Also included were several display placards from the original owner car shows attended in Wash. St. It is now known who the original owner was Bruce Niamy. Maybe one of our FCBO members can fill in more blanks about him or the car.

View attachment 639054

View attachment 639055

View attachment 639056

View attachment 639057
I think I found him. I'll send a PM.

David, are you sure that Bruce Naimy is the original owner. From that title, it indicates that he took possession in February 1990, but I can't read the fine print in the ownership block. Seems that Bruce would be the second, or the third. Doesn't matter, because YOU own it now! :thumbsup:

On a similar note about ancient documentation, when Professor Hill posted his Broadcast Sheet back on page one a few weeks ago, I took a very close look as I tend to do with Hurst stuff. I immediately noticed that while David's car has a clock, the Sheet did not. Hmmm...... I then saw that the Sheet did not match David's dash or tag VIN, nor did it show "Auto Speed Control" (cruise) that David's car has. What? How in the hell did THAT happen during the past 53 years? Who would know to switch Sheets for some nefarious reason? Where is that erroneous sheet come from? And how? :confused:

David and I puzzled about this on the phone a few weeks ago, but with no answers. However, this past weekend at Kissimmee my Mecum Mopar cronies (whom David met at Indy two years ago) speculated that when a batch of eight or so Hursts came down the line, the workers knew that they all got the same tan Imperial interiors stacked up behind them, so they didn't worry about matching the "correct" rear seat cushion broadcast sheet with any particular Hurst car. They likely just tossed them in, and that was okay, no harm done. But my cronies Chris and Ivan told me that they've had a collector Mopars with two different sheets with one correct VIN), and another with THREE sheets with one correct VIN. After all, a black dash is a black dash, right? Blue carpet is blue carpet, so who cares about some damn Broadcast Sheet in 1970. The workers didn't care, and the inspectors didn't care, as long as that interior matched the Broadcast Sheet in the inspector's hands that also matched the dash VIN. Done!

I suppose lots of zany things happened on the line in those days, but my car came with a correct Sheet in the back seat, and a nice remnant in the passenger bucket, so no zaniness there. This is why we're all "zany" here in the Mopar world about Sheets, Tags, and the those little unexplainable things from the assembly lines so long ago.

Last edited:
After all, a black dash is a black dash, right? Blue carpet is blue carpet, so who cares about some damn Broadcast Sheet
My '68 Monaco had the correct green buckets with a sheet for a different car. It was correct as far as they were concerned.

My '68 Monaco had the correct green buckets with a sheet for a different car. It was correct as far as they were concerned.
Exactly! Kinda fun, huh?

I'm betting that David's sheet came out of David's car, period. But it was in the "wrong" Imperial seats. That's even cooler than having the "correct" sheet, IMO.

@david hill Did you check your own back seat for the BSheet yet?

Knowing what we know now, I'm betting the one that you do have was in that seat when the car left Jefferson.
Checked upper and bottom rear seats. No build sheet. Interestly the burlap reinforcement was missing. That will be corrected on all seats.

Checked upper and bottom rear seats. No build sheet. Interestly the burlap reinforcement was missing. That will be corrected on all seats.
I'm not surprised. The Sheet that you do have very likely went into your car 53 years ago.
Somewhere, out there, from a time long ago....is your real Build Sheet. :usflag:

I'm not surprised. The Sheet that you do have very likely went into your car 53 years ago.
Somewhere, out there, from a time long ago....is your real Build Sheet. :usflag:
I will be rebuilding the heater box assembly. I can clearly see the foam seals have vaporized. Still one more opportunity to find a build sheet. By the way Trace where did you buy your Bucket seat release bezels. In my current search I have found none.

20240117_214207.jpg

David, I stumbled upon them on a table at Carlisle. Gave him $5 for the pair. They're not the correct plastic thing that was long gone on mine, just like yours is, but they are a whole lot better than nothing. Exact perfect fit, and I wonder what they originally went on in the Mopar world?

Can anybody give David a hint on where to look? These were probably on a zillion Dodges and Plymouths over the years.

1705546848493.jpeg

Yes indeed, you might find your correct BSheet up under the dash or taped to the glove box. My car had a bit of dried-out masking tape on the back of the glove box, and we can guess what that was for, long ago. This was where I found my BSheet. I was stunned and very happy!
1705546956322.jpeg

But at least it has "flair" that captures the ladies, too. Ahhhh.....1970....the good old days when men were men and ladies were not.
Doggone, seeing the word 'flare' used incorrectly bothers me even more than people talking about the breaks on their car. Glad Chrysler used the proper word.

@david hill
If you get desperate, that part looks like it could be thermoformed from ABS and then painted to match.
Textured ABS would kinda match the surface, overall could be 80-90% accurate, I think.

I could CNC the forms for you, if you want to learn how to thermoform and do that portion.
I've read a lot about thermoforming, did a little at a past job, but have never tried it at home.
If I used the household oven for thermoforming I'd be living in my car.

1706236623372.png

Back