My Unicorn, eh?

The car gets to make a trip to, the Canadian border. :BangHead: It's a seven hours trip one way.

I spaced the fact I was supposed to go right back to the border and have them check the car on the US side. Not the end of the world, just a pain in the *** I made for myself. I'll stop by my buddies place where I hunt, and probably swing by @Polara_500 since I'll be wasting at least a day to get the car checked.

A lesson learned the hard way. But I will finally get to International Falls, so there's a positive.
So when's the trek up nawth?

I noticed this when looking around.

PXL_20210121_064040633.jpg

You can see the wire that was pulled off, and the yellow wire going to ground. Fun with wiring in my future.

Then I finally got to find out what engine is in the car. All I can say is, @Ripinator, I'll be getting that engine from you.

Somewhere along the line, this cars engine was taken out, for reasons we will never know. In its place resides the oft overlooked, and very much underappreciated, 350 B block. At least that's the casting number.

The date code is 4 11 9 and doesn't make complete sense to me, as the only casting number was listed for 1958 only, but this being a Canadian car, who knows.

PXL_20210122_232633461.jpg

Still sticking with the accident theory, but would love to know why the engine was swapped. Looks like I'll be heading to Maryland in the next few months.

Now I have to go back out and see what trans is under the car, I didn't bother looking closely at the numbers.

Interesting. I'm going to do some digging on B 350 block codes...

No reason to think that Mopar would change their casting date code setup, so it should be MONTH, DAY, YEAR. I believe that engine was cast in 1959, and if that first number is a 4, it would be April 11, 1959. However, as you say, finding it hard to determine. Any chance that last number is a deformed 8? Then it would make it an engine cast in 58...

However, it could be a truck engine, or a replacement engine stockpiled for warranty work, cast after the initial run of 350s used in 1958 and 59 model year vehicles.

There would be someone who'd want that engine for restoring...

Last edited:
Been away from here a while and just catching up. Glad you finally got er home Scott and sorry about the rear quarter incident. As you know my phone call was right behind yours with instructions to call me in the event you broke a leg or came down with a nasty virus and couldn't get there lol. However as fate would have it there's no better home for such a rare beast than with someone as passionate as yourself. And now a parts car to boot. I'm excited to see this Monaco get what it deserves and will enjoy watching your progress.

Been away from here a while and just catching up. Glad you finally got er home Scott and sorry about the rear quarter incident. As you know my phone call was right behind yours with instructions to call me in the event you broke a leg or came down with a nasty virus and couldn't get there lol. However as fate would have it there's no better home for such a rare beast than with someone as passionate as yourself. And now a parts car to boot. I'm excited to see this Monaco get what it deserves and will enjoy watching your progress.
Thanks, I hope it's a fun time, even with the expected headaches, but it's going to be a handful. I'm looking forward to getting it on the road. Then it's road trip time!

So I totally missed a form, and a couple papers from the broker, that was in the paperwork for the car, and it has been inspected and I don't need to go to the border.

I was looking at copies. :BangHead: I don't know how I separated them, but I missed four pages. Whatever, I'm glad I can go title the car, it's only ten minutes away, not seven hours.

Just looking at the fender tags for my Monaco 500 I already have in storage, and the one I'm waiting to get from Seattle, and saw they both have the same SPD.

My car in storage.
IMG_20180626_201445214_01~2.jpg

The Seattle car
IMG_20210115_132550~2.jpg

The car in Seattle is closer to the car in the advertisement, it doesn't have a vinyl top, which is what I prefer.

That's what I thought... but they're not identical... off by one day. Paint colour is the same though, with the addition of black vinyl top for the Seattle car.

That's what I thought... but they're not identical... off by one day. Paint colour is the same though, with the addition of black vinyl top for the Seattle car.
You're right, one day off. I had a picture of a tag I swore was the same day. Must have been tired, and my eyes played with my brain. Still fairly close, two nearest dates on any of my cars. Minnesota car has the black top. :poke:Not sure which one is going back on the road.

This is the Seattle car, no vinyl top.

00W0W_jW4GLESPwR4_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

This is the Minnesota car, black vinyl top.
IMG_20180710_003340.jpg

And the four speed car, black vinyl top.

PXL_20210106_222935939.jpg

I'm putting one of the Monaco 500's on the road, it might be the parts car, and use the other one for parts. Four speed car will receive parts off whatever car I choose not to restore. Confused? Me too.

Back