For Sale Neat 300D - not for the faint of heart or those without deep pockets

Status
Not open for further replies.

saforwardlook

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Contact seller
The perfect car for a complete restoration of one of these models. When you are done though, you would have one spectacular car ....... and surely be upside down.

1958 Chrysler 300D

1958 Chrysler 300D 2 door hard top, has a dual quad 392 Chrysler Hemi. 74,296 original miles. Purchased in Caldwell, Idaho. One owner. Fantastic barn find! Great restoration project!

97416609.jpg

97416610.jpg

97416645.jpg

97416663.jpg

97416627.jpg

97416724.jpg

97416718.jpg

And it would look very similar to this when done........

300C #1 (6) (1).jpg

Wow. I could never in a million years ... but ... wow.

Its a shame they left it outside, what a great car though. I just can't help to think how nice it was when it was last on the road.

Dave

For someone to take that on, he will need an experienced mentor in addition to cashing in his 401k's.

Gentlemen, that's the finest automobile Detroit ever graced gods good earth with. (IMO) someday I hope to own one. But for right now I don't think I could stop my alter ego from tubbing it out and ringing that mill for all its got. I think I need a few more ice cream seasons to calm down before I start looking for one. But GOD! my heart starts pumping when I see one. That elegant styling with a 380 horse hemi. ( The bankers hot rod) Now remember the TNT cars were rated 375.

The 60 300F was the first you could get with a stick shift or could you get that in the earlier 300 letter cars ...?

Very nice. It looks like a solid and fairly complete project. Not to mention the dual quad 392. It would take bucket loads of fun coupons to get it right thou. You also have the option of staying in a remote cabin when you go to collect it, although the setting reminds me a bit of the 'Wrong Turn' movies. :)

Wow--this car tugs at me in a good way.
I had a 57-300C when I was 18 (the late sixties) and they were rare then.
Passed on a 300D in the eighties that was asking 24K--It was a done car.

I agree that bringing this car back will not likely pay off in most of our lifetimes but to just let it lay- as is- seems just wrong. Someone will keep it from becoming dirt and I hope they do it soon before I lose my practical sense and become --that guy.

Type Online-Only Auction
Bid History
High Bid 6,050.00 USD
Time Left
11d 22h 35m
Soft Close

If your thinking "return on your money", than move on, nothing to see here. Strictly a "labor of love". A rare chance to own a piece of automotive history.

That place is remote, I don't even know if a transporter would go there. 30 miles of dirt road just to reach the property.

Wow--this car tugs at me in a good way.
I had a 57-300C when I was 18 (the late sixties) and they were rare then.
Passed on a 300D in the eighties that was asking 24K--It was a done car.

I agree that bringing this car back will not likely pay off in most of our lifetimes but to just let it lay- as is- seems just wrong. Someone will keep it from becoming dirt and I hope they do it soon before I lose my practical sense and become --that guy.

I fully restored my 300C over 30 years ago, and I didn't even consider the ROI - I did it as Will stated: a labor of love. Even though it was long ago that I restored it, I had it out to participate in a wedding for a friend of mine last year, and it ran flawlesssly. At the end of the ceremony, people went bonkers when they saw it sitting outside the reception hall to take the new couple away for their honeymoon.

They aren't that complex to restore either. They use the cast iron torqueflite (which is still pretty similar to the aluminum 727 torqueflites for 1962 and up used in most of the cars of members on this forum). There is a bit of chrome in the interior and a some on the exterior, but overall, they don't have that much chrome (a lot of it is stainless steel). The biggest hurdle is that Gary Goers is experiencing some health issues he needs to get past (and his doctor's are working on that), but he is pretty much the only one that supplies some needed rubber parts and other smaller items for those cars and he does the best interior work that exists on them too. But at least Legendary provides the leather seats for the 1957 300C models but I would bet they would do them for the D as well, since they are almost identical (the pleats are in the same place, only they are oriented up/down rather than across the interior of the car) - reference page A81 of the Legendary catalog. That example really deserves to be saved - mine wasn't a whole lot better when I started, and then I was pretty inexperienced too. Actually Gary Goers taught me how to do some body work on my 300C when he had a shop in California and a friend of mine that sold me his 1960 original low mileage 300F helped me paint my 300C myself. Since Gary moved to Kalispell, MT, I miss being able to visit him from time to time. Just a super guy who has done more for the Chrysler 300 Club members than anyone else.

The longer I keep mine, the less it will be worth since the market for these is in decline as for any cars in that era anymore. But mine will have to be sold after I am gone - I am not parting with it before then. And as Stan mentions, any mentoring that might be needed I can help with and also there is a wealth of knowledge in the Chrysler 300 club and its members are among the best of any club - always there ready and willing to help with any issue you might have.

This is a very restorable car! It would be nice if they had cleaned out the trunk and pulled back the carpets to show the floor condition. Front fender tops look solid! These are usually rusted through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back