Need a FURY BRAIN in TAMPA AREA... !!

schroon

Reaction score
I've got a 69 Fury and I need some minor wiring help...It's just that I stayed at a Best Western and I still can't tell right from left when looking at the schematic...but I do know sparks are not good. Having a tough time finding someone who can do this with his eyes closed. That's why I'm trying myself...only good to a point. Any leads greatly appreciated. I wanna drive my baby! Greg 813-541-2141

Hey Saylor! :) It's the clock connection to the ammeter. I was moving the dash assembly to work on the speedo cable and I could hear a crackling, and finally spotted the sparks (and a bit of smoke) at the clock connection. The schematic I have is not consistent with what's under the dash. It appears I should switch the clock wire (gray tracer) from the right to the left post on the ammeter, but I'm just guessing. It appears from the schematic that there should be only one wire coming off the right ammeter post, and I'll still have two if do the switch. If you have a schematic, maybe the phone would be better, if you can help? Thanks in advance either way. Greg

damn I was flippin the page, and there is more 69 wiring on the flip side of the page,, ill scan it tomorrow if I get time to

cant see which side clock is wired too making a difference. sounds like a loose conection on the ampmeter of the ampmeter is shorting out

Thanks for the help! It looks like that's for a 68 Fury...but it's similr...what book is that in? Greg

Factory Service Manual. If you plan to keep that big old boat on the road, you better get yourself one.

Sounds like you just need to get it running for now. Leave the clock disconnected and wear a wristwatch. Consider bypassing the ammeter by running a thick wire from the alternator output (big stud) to BATT+. That solves a lot of electrical problems. Also, connect the 2 ammeter leads together and insulated, maybe by connecting them to the same ammeter post. That will take care of many common electrical issues. If you are getting sparks, look for a short to ground. Search on forabodiesonly.com for more tips.

Sounds like you just need to get it running for now. Leave the clock disconnected and wear a wristwatch. Consider bypassing the ammeter by running a thick wire from the alternator output (big stud) to BATT+. That solves a lot of electrical problems. Also, connect the 2 ammeter leads together and insulated, maybe by connecting them to the same ammeter post. That will take care of many common electrical issues. If you are getting sparks, look for a short to ground. Search on forabodiesonly.com for more tips.
"thick" = 10 AWG

Back