Need a reminder...

53ryder

Reaction score
May look at a car today, if seller answers phone. Advertised as a 440 engine. Now what's the clue that the block is an actual 440? Stamp on the intake manifold somewhere's?

Glenn

On the 440 as your looking at the front of the engine on the right hand side there's a square pad. It will be just in front of the intake manifold. The 383 doesn't have that, and the 400 doesn't have it ether.

RB vs B engine

casting parting line on drivers side below the head .. it's a taller deck than B blocks

about an inch below the deck/head surface

001.jpg

could be any RB though

To make sure it's a 440 vs 413 or something else check the pad Jason mentioned

Pad is cleaned off in this pic .. to drivers side of dizzy

298071-1000-0.jpg

440 or RB blocks will have a raised machined pad. Sometimes it's hard to see if it has a a/c compressor mounted
440block.jpg

383 or B blocks are easy to spot as the waterpump jackets are flush with the cylinder deck.
383block.jpg

440block.jpg

383block.jpg

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I thought both 413s and 440s shared the same pad ????

They do but Glenn wanted to make sure it's a 440 instead of a 413 or something else

May look at a car today, if seller answers phone. Advertised as a 440 engine. Now what's the clue that the block is an actual 440? Stamp on the intake manifold somewhere's?

Glenn
RB vs B engine

casting parting line on drivers side below the head .. it's a taller deck than B blocks

about an inch below the deck/head surface

could be any RB though

To make sure it's a 440 vs 413 or something else check the pad Jason mentioned

Pad is cleaned off in this pic .. to drivers side of dizzy

The displacement is stamped on the pad .. i.e. 440, 426, 413, 383

383 RB LOLOLOLOL

Back