Need brakes done on my 68

Isaiah Estrada

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I’m really grateful to have a wealth of knowledge at my disposal here on the forums! Pardon my lack of knowledge as this is my first car ever that I’m building. We are so close to having my beautiful 68 New Yorker coupe on the road, but she DEFINITELY needs brakes. It’s been sitting for 40 years.

the car has power disk brakes up front and rear drums as far as I know... where could I buy a brake booster for the car? I’ve seen some online but don’t know if they’d work! Here’s what I’ve been contemplating, but I wanted to ask the pros themselves:)

1965-1968 Chrysler New Yorker Brake Booster - Centric 160.80025 - - PartsGeek.com

9F6C3DBD-0D64-43B1-8C8B-265B99AA7C5B.jpeg

but don’t know if they’d work! Here’s what I’ve been contemplating,

NOPE, web page clearly states 'Drum Brakes".

12-29-20.1965-1968 Chrysler New Yorker Brake Booster - Centric 160.80025.www.partsgeek.com.jpg

It would help if you would post up pictures of what equipment you have on your car as many parts could have been changed over the years.

I'll just rub the crystal ball and cue up some swami music and take a guess that you have the BUDD brake 4 piston caliper system with a specific master cylinder and booster. Or has someone converted the car to disc brakes over the years?

It’s all bone stock as far as I’m concerned. Car was abandoned in 1980 at Tom Merkel’s Cuyama Car Garden... you’ll find a lot of info on that place on Google Heres the best pic I have. Car isn’t at my house as I live in a suburban area of So Cal where there’s not much room to have the car at home to work on so it’s at my buddies house about 20 mins away... he’s got an acre plot!!

55BB49C4-8C66-402A-9800-78FBEF18267C.jpeg

Are you sure that it has disc brakes up front? that is a drum/drum master cylinder.

Where about is SB County are you? North county?

Alan

I had a great mechanic in Grover Beach that only worked on vintage stuff, particularly Mopar, he moved to Idaho

I'm not much of a mechanic, looks like you have some work ahead of you on that one before you can drive it.

Alan

Well from the Chrysler Parts Manual it looks like you have a drum brake master cylinder (or who knows what that could be 'aftermarket' over the years).

Drum vs Disc Master cylinders.

1968.PARTS.MC.DRUM.BRAKES.jpg

1968.PARTS.MC.DISC.BRAKES.jpg

Three types of disc brakes for 1968, Kelsey Hayes, Bendix, & Budd. The Kelsey Hayes & Bendix were used on the smaller body cars and the Budd on the full size 'C' Bodies IIRC. We need to see a good picture of your calipers.

Master Cylinder I'm not too sure of via the (exploded) parts manual and service manual pics. I could check my archives of pictures but I'm pretty sure that if they are Budd brakes that it has a very large brake booster that looks different than what you have.

Well from the Chrysler Parts Manual it looks like you have a drum brake master cylinder (or who knows what that could be 'aftermarket' over the years).

Drum vs Disc Master cylinders.

View attachment 426378

View attachment 426379

Three types of disc brakes for 1968, Kelsey Hayes, Bendix, & Budd. The Kelsey Hayes & Bendix were used on the smaller body cars and the Budd on the full size 'C' Bodies IIRC. We need to see a good picture of your calipers.

Master Cylinder I'm not too sure of via the (exploded) parts manual and service manual pics. I could check my archives of pictures but I'm pretty sure that if they are Budd brakes that it has a very large brake booster that looks different than what you have.

I really appreciate your help:) So, given that I do have a drum brake setup - could this work? 1965-1968 Chrysler New Yorker Brake Booster - A1 Cardone 54-73520 - - PartsGeek.com

Cardon't boosters are mostly junk. They are also famous for shipping the wrong booster and in the meantime your core will get rebuilt and sold to someone else and you are stuck with a booster that does not fit or does not work. Booster Dewey does quality work and stands behind what they do. Be sure to replace the master cylinder as the main reason the booster units fail is because the master cylinder leaks brake fluid into the booster and degrades the insides. All hoses and wheel cylinders should also be replaced at the same time unless they are of recent install. If possible, avoid the China Crap cylinders sold at Auto Bone and Car Crap as there are lots of quality control problems with them..Mobileparts, a vendor on this site, has quality US made replacement parts. The booster in the photo is a Bendix single diaphragm booster and it is probably a correct after market replacement. Most '65-'68 Chryslers had a Midland-Ross single clamp booster as factory equipment, but either booster is a good unit.

Dave

you won't know if the booster is bad until the car is running. you may want to wait , it could be ok ,then you could put the money elsewhere.

If your car has been sitting for 40 years replace all the rubber components. Craig @ mobileparts is a member here and he knows and has what you need. Booster Dewey is where you need to send your booster. These guys are good people who will do you right.

Thanks, once again, for the shout outs, MEN, I appreciate your thoughts and sentiments....
Have a Happy Holidays and Happy New Year, all....

Isaiah, I just came upon your thread now --- after I just answered you in the P.M. that you sent me.... We will talk tomorrow, of course...

Isaiah is a 19 year old Young MAN -- and you guys know I will take Isaiah under my wing, get him enjoying his ride, and make him a MAN among us !!!!!

Thanks again for the shout outs. Happy New Year....

Isiah - I got some great advice on here for the drums on my '67 New Yorker. Like with a lot of new components, they are far inferior to the originals. Fortunately, OEM, NOS brake shoes for these cars aren't hard to find, and don't cost a lot either. Look around for the Bendix brake shoes, make sure you get the right size. All the info. you need is here on this site. A few people on this site have some to sell, I have really liked mine. Also, I recently learned with my father's Buick, that if you replace SOME of the brake lines, go ahead and replace ALL of them, especially on a car that has been sitting like that.

Good luck with your New Yorker. I think New Yorker fastops weren't common in '67-'68, either.

Don't use that crap.

Send yours to Booster Dewey for rebuild.
Power Brake Booster Exchange | Providing Parts for Classic Cars
Thanks John, your the man! I knew that Cardone was crap from reading here and Dewey was the go to man, but backpedaled when I learned that he wasn't sure if he had disc's or not, then thought WTF how he knows the booster is NG? He don't even have a fecking carburetor on it.

Glad he's getting steered in the right direction.

:thumbsup:

Back