Need help decoding V5Y and V7Y (1972)

oliver

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I can no longer find the site that decoded my tag but here's what I got for V5Y & V7Y:
V5Y: "Body Side Stripes, Yellow"
V7Y: "Accent Stripes, Yellow"

This isn't making much sense. It's a 1972 Chrysler...So it would be a non-vinyl car, painted gold, and with yellow pinstripes?

Thanks!

chrysler tag.jpg

Last edited:
On line decoders, generally, suck as they do not account for year to year code changes or model nuances.

V5Y = side protective molding (door ding protector) in gold
V7Y = accent stripe in gold.

Is the first character in the VON an "M"?

One orientation might be that "accent" stripes might generally be higher on the side of the body, just below the belt line of the sheet metal The "body side" stripes would be lower on the body, like the lower area where the body side moldings might be, where another significant body "contour" body line might be. Some years put the body side molding higher up on the side, more toward the middle, in the earlier years of body side moldings, before the protective inserts were put into them. Many indexed with the wheel opening moldings, or were in conjunction to them.

CBODY67

On line decoders, generally, suck as they do not account for year to year code changes or model nuances.

V5Y = side protective molding (door ding protector) in gold
V7Y = accent stripe in gold.

Is the first character in the VON an "M"?
there's an M45 (fender skirts) but all NYkers had them

What is above the 2 in the 254070 set of numbers? It appears to be the letter M.

M66162?
Yes it is M. Sorry, the image I posted isn't very clear. Here are the codes:
V5Y G15 V7Y
M45
GY8 H51 R23 L31
GY8 E4Y5 000 406 M68182
E85 D34 CH23 T2C 254070

Thanks.

@oliver -- here is a decode of CH23T2C254070, courtesy of MyMopar (with a few corrections by yours truly). I note that your car originally came with a painted roof (GY8 code at the start of the third row), yet it currently sports a brown vinyl top -- can you share the history?

C: Chrysler
H: High (New Yorker)
23: 2 Door Hardtop

T: 440 cid 4 barrel V8 (225bhp net)
2: 1972
C: Jefferson Avenue, MI, USA

254070: Sequence number

E85: 440 cid 4 barrel V8 (225bhp net)
D34: Automatic Transmission
GY8: Gold Poly Exterior Color
E4Y5: Trim - Vinyl Split Bench Seat, Gold
000: Full Door Panels
406: Build Date: April 06
M68182: Order number

GY8: Gold Poly Top Color
H51: Air Conditioning with Heater
R23: Search Tune AM/FM Radio (5 1/2 Watts)
L31: Hood/Fender Mounted Turn Signals

M45: Fender Skirts

V5Y: Body Side Stripes, Gold (not "yellow", thanks @Coronet69)
G15: Tinted Windshield
V7Y: Accent Stripes, Gold

Last edited:
You are 100% correct about the top. The car left the factory with a painted roof but ended up receiving a dealer installed vinyl top.
The dealer installed vinyl top was flapping in the wind when I got the car in the 1980's and was replaced with the current brown top in 1988 or 1989. At the time I blindly trusted a local shop which was highly recommended by a former boss...but in any event I never liked that top and IMO the car would look infinitely better in its original sans vinyl configuration.

@oliver -- here is a decode of CH23T2C254070, courtesy of MyMopar (with a few corrections by yours truly).

V5Y: Body Side Stripes, Yellow
G15: Tinted Windshield
V7Y: Accent Stripes, Yellow

"On line decoders, generally, suck..." Post 2

Did it not seem odd that GY8 (where Y=Gold) suddenly became Y=Yellow?

72_Chrysler_stripe_1000.jpg

Last edited:
"On line decoders, generally, suck..." Post 2

Did it not seem odd that GY9 (where Y=Gold) suddenly became Y=Yellow?

GY8, you mean? :D

Thank you for the correction -- in the rush to post while on break, I forgot to fix the online decoder's mistake. That's not an excuse, so I just fixed my post.

Back