New Member, 1967 Imperial

Ok. I'm going to go for it, then, since this is my only option at this point.
I just got back from the mine in Orro Grande. I found a 68 parting out but it's got chrome where your parking lamps should be. Got you a couple leads though.

Frank at Forsyth hot rod supply in Hesperia might be parting a 67. That's what his counter guy told me. Also one of the wreckers said to give Turners up in Fresno a call. He said he thought they had your year Imp up there & that they are pretty good at knowing the inventory. I've been by there it's a cool old school yard & it's packed. Worth a shot. Good Luck.

Turner's 559-237-0918

IMG_3575.JPG

IMG_3576.JPG

I just got back from the mine in Orro Grande. I found a 68 parting out but it's got chrome where your parking lamps should be. Got you a couple leads though.

Frank at Forsyth hot rod supply in Hesperia might be parting a 67. That's what his counter guy told me. Also one of the wreckers said to give Turners up in Fresno a call. He said he thought they had your year Imp up there & that they are pretty good at knowing the inventory. I've been by there it's a cool old school yard & it's packed. Worth a shot. Good Luck.

Turner's 559-237-0918

Thanks. I'll make some calls.

Struck out at Forsyth, but Turner's had a lens. It is a bit cloudy, but it's also the only one I see. I'm still holding out hope that it's just crappy cell phone pics, and it will be a crystal-clear example when it arrives!

Or, I can always buy that NOS left-side one and attempt surgery if it's necessary.

Struck out at Forsyth, but Turner's had a lens. It is a bit cloudy, but it's also the only one I see. I'm still holding out hope that it's just crappy cell phone pics, and it will be a crystal-clear example when it arrives!

Or, I can always buy that NOS left-side one and attempt surgery if it's necessary.
What NOS left-side one?

Sorry, not NOS, just nice.

Did I not cover that detail? I found a guy through the Imperial Club who thought he had a few lying around. Turned out that he had already sold all his right side lenses, since those are the ones that get bashed parking. Hence the questions about pulling out the eagle.

I think I'm going to buy it anyway, on the "Matt's Theory of Spares" principle, but I'm still trying to focus on getting my right side fixed.

Speaking of getting things done, I need to replace the trunk rubber. Steele Rubber doesn't have the specific replacement for my car. Does anyone know another source, or can I use their generic?

That's cool I'm glad somebody had one. Hope the price was right those guys seemed fair when I needed Some 66 Dart stuff. Too bad that's a one year only deal kinda like my 69 Fury tail lights. Anyways good luck with your getting your ride back on the road.

Might be a stupid question but could you make those metal 68's work if you just wanted something to fill the holes ??? The fenders look awfully alike, 67 to 68 I mean.

That's cool I'm glad somebody had one. Hope the price was right those guys seemed fair when I needed Some 66 Dart stuff. Too bad that's a one year only deal kinda like my 69 Fury tail lights. Anyways good luck with your getting your ride back on the road.

Might be a stupid question but could you make those metal 68's work if you just wanted something to fill the holes ??? The fenders look awfully alike, 67 to 68 I mean.
That would be a shame.

That would be a shame.
I know I know.
That would be a shame.
I know I know. Just thinking out loud. Those lenses sure complete the whole look up front. Shame they're so dang hard to find.

Almost forgot ,

There's a Chrysler NOS dude in Tempe Az named Martin Kohlner. He might be worth a shot. His stuff was always tip top. I bought AAR stripes in '86 from him. Perfect but I had to lay em flat in the garage for weeks with the whole set of world books on em to make them flat again. Worth a shot to google him. Has some rare stuff not just e body either.

I did separate the inner panel from the outer lens yesterday on one of my spares so @Zymurgy wouldnt have to take responsibility for it.
Like I thought they’re just fused together at 2 points and the inner part looks like brand new while the outer lens is hazy and crazed.
I’ll take a couple of pics.

Boy that outer lens has really protected the inner lens. It looks brand new.

Ok, no "progress" but a bit of not-real progress. I have a used lens which isn't as nice as the one that broke, but it's better than nothing. I've ordered trunk rubber, and the headliner should be here any day now. I'm going to pull it from the place where it is now and take it to another place for completion. One of the things that needs to be done is reinstalling the window rubber. I'm not sure if it was a bad job, or if the vinyl is too thick to make it work and it needs to be replaced. If it does, I'll cover that cost (and the cost of a new vinyl roof) and chalk it up to experience.

My friend is mortified that the job isn't done and that her uncle didn't do a good job. I'm still feeling like I've gotten a good deal and this is, on some level, what I knew I was getting into by going for the low-cost option. This should get the car back on track and have it back to me before the calendar changes over to another year.

I'll drive it for a while then look at my engine/transmission/rear-end rebuild options. Expect to see something similar in concept to what 1978 NYB has done. No serpentine belt, but similar concept in rebuild choices.

Sitting in traffic to come back across the border. Took it to another shop. Am going to have to have them repaint the sides since the pinstripes were done so badly. Also replace the new vinyl top.

This is going to cost me an awful lot of money to fix. But it will be done.

Sitting in traffic to come back across the border. Took it to another shop. Am going to have to have them repaint the sides since the pinstripes were done so badly. Also replace the new vinyl top.

This is going to cost me an awful lot of money to fix. But it will be done.
What a bummer!

Thanks, but it’s the risk I took by choosing the low cost option. It stings, but it is what it is.

I've been writing a lot in the engine section, and that's because I'm making progress on the body project. To be fair, my actual progress is in buying parts, but the paint is supposedly done (again). I am waiting for the turn indicator guts (the first shop lost them), and then I'll bring my vinyl roof, headliner, and the turn signals down.

One of the things I did was pay this guy more than he asked for repaint, so he's going to also fix the turn signals, get the electric windows working again (another casualty of the first shop), and generally do a little extra. Hopefully the details will be wrapped up soon and I can drive it home before Xmas. Let me see if I can get some pics off my phone and onto here.

Photos.... just have pinstripes now. Bit my colleague saw the car with her own eyes and says it looks good, even the deck lid stripes.

15834024-A3F3-4F6A-A09C-B2A2D3B5350E.jpeg

4C7677D5-D37A-4C87-82D3-C555C41FC457.jpeg

Back