New Member, 1967 Imperial

Since I've been working so much lately, I really haven't been able to get any time in on the Imperial. So I decided to admit defeat and take it to my local mechanic. I asked him to look at the brakes which were making some noise and dragging, address the crappy, crappy cold starting, and check out my diff fluid level, since I saw some drops back there.

It took him a couple days, because it starts and runs fine once warm, so he needed to keep it over night twice to track down the bad starting. But it runs pretty well now. It fires up with a twist of the key, hot or cold. If it's heat soaked it still needs to crank a bit extra and fill the float bowls, but it works fine.

I'll be checking the length of my rod to see if that's a contributing factor.

It still sounds like it's detonating a bit when it has it's initial crank when hot, but I'm not sure what to do about that. Maybe initial advance too advanced? I'll probably post up in the engine section, too.

My pinion seal appears to be leaking, so that's on the list.

My rear brakes had a bad shoe on the passenger side, which was actually broken and rubbing. So that's replaced.

So it runs real nice, and with all the power windows working, it's been really nice to drive around town with all four down. On Saturday, I was going to take my daughter to the zoo, but my Father-in-law called, and wanted a visit. So I invited him. Then my wife said, well, if my daughter, husband and dad are all going, it's a family outing, and I don't want to miss that! Then my sister-in-law, who was over, said, "hey, do you have room for me?"

In the Imperial, yes, we do.

Still more to do, but there always is.

So that was my last post, huh? Well, not much has changed since then. It runs a little better, one of the windows I "fixed" is on the fritz again, but it still basically runs and drives nice.

Looks, however..... It's gotten a little rustier sitting out in the salt air. No rotting, but the surface rust is creeping along. The back seat has split from sun damage and the driver's seat tears have spread. So I decided to have it painted. A friend has an uncle who lives in TJ and is an upholsterer. Also has friends in the body shop business. So I'm going to go the Mexican paint job route. I already have the front and rear window rubber and if the bodyman tells me to order a headliner, I will (I'm expecting to). I'll get the upholstery after paint.

Tomorrow I take it across the border and plan on leaving it there for a few weeks or months, depending. It will be repainted as close to the original white and original pinstripes as possible.

Out comes the original spare. Off come the hubcaps. In goes the fender I bought from a FCBO member a couple years back just for this event.

After it comes back, I'll probably be adding FiTech EFI and driving it until I acquire the parts to rebuild the engine. But that's another post.....

Power Cushion.jpg

trunkfender.jpg

Welcome back. Nice to hear you are still giving the old girl some love. For a northerner like me please explain the advantages of a "Mexican" paint job.

Welcome back. Nice to hear you are still giving the old girl some love. For a northerner like me please explain the advantages of a "Mexican" paint job.

Price. I am expecting to get it done for a fraction of the cost of doing it in San Diego. I was going to put it up for sale because I didn't want to see it rust away in the salt air. Paint and needed repairs were just not a viable option budget-wise. I knew I could get it done in Mexico (it's almost a cliche around here) but I wasn't confident finding someone reputable. Having someone I've worked with for ten years and who's fluent in Spanish that would introduce me to her connections was the thing that made it possible. I also have an employee who lives in Tecate who kept telling me how cheap it will be.

Tomorrow will tell.

I'd be interested to know how much cheaper, like a percentage based on apples to apples.

I'll be sure to do that as best I can.

My goal here isn't to get a rotisserie body-off restoration, but not go and have Earl Sheib paint my car either. I'm looking to have the rust in the window channels properly repaired, fill the rust holes behind the wheel arches, and repair the left rear bumperette. I'm expecting that there's going to be some filler, but not plastic bags and bondo.

I work from home, and have cell service and mobile internet that works in Mexico, so I should be able to skip down and check in on it. I'll take pictures.

Another thing: I do expect this to take a while. Several months. In support of that, I just heard that the shop owner is in Ensenada today and won't be back in time to meet me this morning. Still working on a replacement schedule.

In Mexico, it really is all about mañana.

At the border now. Waiting for my colleague to get here. A bit disappointed that I could only get liability insurance. I'll know in an hour or two if this is going to work out.

Thanks for the welcome, it's nice to be here!

Well, the car got left in Mexico. Visited 3 shops, first of which was more than 2X my "stretch" max. Nice shop, and they had put a really nice Bug with fantastic pearl outside to show me when I drove up. But they were going to pull the interior and paint the whole car. That would have been awesome, but it just wasn't in the budget.

Second shop was a guy working out of his garage. Supposedly even better, and wasn't originally in the mix, because he can only do one car at a time. Was about 50% over my max, but I considered it because he was so highly recommended. Then he said he couldn't fit the Imperial into his garage.....

Third guy was my colleague's uncle. He's primarily an upholsterer and does this as a secondary thing. Came in under my max, but not by much. I'm having to give up having the pin striping replaced at that price. I'll have to figure that out separately. I think it will be fine, though. My co-worker told him, "this is my boss, so if you don't do it good, I'm going to get fired!" Not true, but nice of her to make sure he took it seriously.

He also told me how much fabric to get to repair the seats and rear package tray, and will get me quotes on re-chroming the bumper.

I love doing business in Mexico. Handed him 20% down in US dollars, shook his hand, and gave him my keys. That's it. We drove away! I'll be going back down to get the deposit up to 50% this weekend, and he says 3 weeks.

Woo-hoo! It's going!

My car started life in Minnesota before moving to California. Thats apparently made the fasteners hard to replace. Here is work to date.

IMG_4665.JPG

IMG_4667.JPG

IMG_4668.JPG

went down today to drop off the fabric for the seats and some money to get the bumpers chromed. More work. It's coming along. The rust in the fenders/quarters was worse than expected (but not hugely). Around the window glass was better. That's actually the area that had convened me because of the potential for leaks and additional damage. So that was really good news. The underbody is rusty but solid and nothing there needs to be replaced. He's going to encapsulate it and move on.

IMG_4988.JPG

IMG_4989.JPG

IMG_4996.JPG

IMG_4997.JPG

The drivers fender I bought from a FCBO member two years ago is on (sorry I forgot your name) and they're getting some unexpected rust out of the trunk lid. Glass appears to still be on.

Estimated three more weeks. In six I'm gone to India for work for a while so.....

IMG_5104.JPG

IMG_5100.JPG

IMG_5103.JPG

IMG_5101.JPG

The drivers fender I bought from a FCBO member two years ago is on (sorry I forgot your name) and they're getting some unexpected rust out of the trunk lid. Glass appears to still be on.

Estimated three more weeks. In six I'm gone to India for work for a while so.....

View attachment 140988

View attachment 140989

View attachment 140990

View attachment 140991
I will claim former ownership of that fender. Awesome to see it put to use again. Warms my Mopar heart.

I will claim former ownership of that fender. Awesome to see it put to use again. Warms my Mopar heart.
Yes, that was you! I was posting from my phone and couldn't see my PMs easily. Thanks again. You're a good man to do business with.

Too bad you didn't have the other side and quarters for me. :lol:

Back