New Member - 71 Newport "barn find" clean car

....Absolutely fantastic deal!! .....that's the score of the year right there!! I have to say there isn't an angle I don't agree with the 71

that car is great, but tell us more about your ponchos. there are a couple of pontiac lovers here undercover

I can also confirm that the car will fit on a U-haul trailer. I towed my 1971 300 2dr (exact wheelbase as your car) from Tucson to Dallas last year. The a$$ hangs over a bit, but I doubt anyone will have trouble seeing your red C-body :tongueflap:

I told them I was hauling a 1992 Taurus station wagon. I was told that there were two lengths to the car carriers, so I wanted to make sure I had the longer one. Heck I even went to U-haul and measured the trailer and everything because I was paranoid. At the end of the day it worked out great. Those U-haul trailers are built to last, and the trailer brakes are a much-needed bonus.

YES!! Excellent info, thank you! I have used the trailers before also, and they really are nice to haul and ride great. Very well made. I believe its the newer Aluminum/silver ones that are longer. I didn't realize there were 2 different types till a day i rented one, i turned up and it was an old orange one made from box tubing. I noticed it was shorter once loading my firebird. As i was aware of how much space i had behind the back wheel, from the Newer style trailers. Thank you again for the info. Good to know that a 92' Taurus wagon will fall in the "longer" trailer category, so it will force them to give me that one. Thanks again!

that car is great, but tell us more about your ponchos. there are a couple of pontiac lovers here undercover

I'd love to share. Without hijacking a Mopar thread too much.
8335164159_1784480601_b.jpg

77 Trans Am - 10.5:1 455 Aluminum heads, roller cam. 4 bolt conversion makes 575 ft lb at 3200 rpm. Still have the 2.47 highway gears in it, and it lays rubber for as long as you hold your foot. I absolutely love this car. Its stupendously fun to rip around in.

My current Project is a little more oddball. Its a 1971 T-37 Post Car.
I said i wanted to do EVERYTHING. With this car. and So far i have. I built the engine (10.8:1 Aluminum headed Roller 400) I built the Trans - m22 4 speed with a totall rad Vertigate retro style shifter. I even built the steering box lol. Replaced a quarter (first time) And teaching myself to tig weld , because my next challenge will be building my own headers. I love the challenge, and am all about learning as many new things as i can.
6807951943_bf7ecccd45_b.jpg

7927988176_c09230118b_b.jpg

8484135345_3183b95c0a_b.jpg

12282703923_f1611365c3_b.jpg

12090315796_a74d6696df_b.jpg

If anyone is interested, you can see my entire build thread here. http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=48592.0

I will do a similar pic heavy thread over here once i start on the Newport. I hope its ok to cross promote forums/threads . I really try not to, and if anyone feels the need, please remove my link.

Thanks again, looking forward to starting the thread on the Newport!

Nice work and a couple of kool ponchos! (If you're into that sorta thing) I don't see an issue with posting the link to your build on the other site seeing as how you went about it with respect, I appreciate that.

The furry shop helper is nice, too.

Incredible story and what a catch! Love that big Newport coupe. As a GM guy myself also ('68 Cutlass) I can appreciate your two Pontiacs as well. Cannot wait to see the progress. Welcome aboard!

Thanks again all for the warm welcome.

Greg B- i absolutely love a 68 Cutlass, very cool man!

Just a quick update, and let you all know i haven't forgotten about this thread, my vacation time is locked in and i am due to Pick up the car around the 23rd of Next month. So ill take lots of pictures and maybe some video of the retrieval.

Will be renting the Uhual Auto transport once i get to TX and pulling the car up with a come along. Was thinking about buying a winch and making a bracket to fix it to the trailer temporarily. But its not worth it for the one time ill be loading the car.

Keep you guys posted.

Cheers.

That Newport Royal is a real gem - low miles, straight and no rust. You say the interior has heavy wear but with no tears and from the photos I see, it looks only to be real dirty - maybe some sunburn on the dashpad right above the glove box, or maybe the carpets are worn, but it looks to me like the interior reflects the low 23K miles. And the 360 powertrain in that body in 1971 was a nice combination, with a higher stall speed converter to get off the line smartly. I really like it even though it comes with the 2210 Holley 2 bbl. carburetor. When that carb is right, it is fun to drive. It actually feels like the 383-4 powertrain from previous years with the same kind of calibration for off the line performance. Without opening the hood, one can hardly tell the difference. When that Newport is cleaned and polished up nicely it will be awesome. Has to be the best find I have ever heard of. Enjoy.

Yea, uhaul won't rent a car trailer if you tell them what you're hauling :-( regardless of what you're hauling with...
You should just buy your own trailer with the money you just saved :)
Cool story... thank you.
Greg in New Mexico

I reserve them online as an F-350 SuperDuty pulling a Geo.
NEVER been questioned or been hassled.

Posted via Topify on Android

I can't wait to see what you do with this car. I ck'd out your poncho, great work. looking forward to seeing both cars finished. good luck

Looking forward to seeing you car again. Looks like it will clean up nicely and be a great survivor.

Good Show Sam. Can't believe I missed this thread(Ah good read) Road trip =s almost 1800 milez. Watch the Tehachapi grade 'tween Barstow and Bakersfield. That puppy will sneak up on yeah. First time I ran 58 'crossed there I watched to buzzardz circle for ah couple hourz with rockz stuck in front of all the wheelz to let 'um cool down before droppin' off the last down grade. If you've never smelled hot asbestos you really don't want to! Happy Trails 'N safe trip, Jer

Back