New Member - 71 Newport "barn find" clean car

Did i mention this car is LONG, i'm sure all you Fusey body guys are more than well aware . I'm certain it would have been uncomfortably close to off the edge with air in all 4 tires. So off we went, back for another 1800 miles.

14764446922_6796ef9d67_b.jpg

14578140068_b2ab15b371_b.jpg

Burger stop in New Mexico, Burger patties are K-bears favorite treat on the road.

14764913692_1c3435f856_b.jpg

14762885184_6f59fe1459_b.jpg

We stopped at a couple of places along Route 66, thought it would be cool to have some pictures of the car like this. Then maybe someday we can drive the car back there and take the same picture. Minus the dust and truck/trailer lol.

14762068281_3fdf55a95a_b.jpg

14785114023_8e76973281_b.jpg

14762648251_1f07edca97_b.jpg

Sunday night we hit the Richmond bridge around 8:30 pm, with about 40 miles to go, we all considered that a successful 6 days on the road , 3800 miles, and considering 36 of those hours was spent in Dallas. We did pretty darn good.

14582206468_131bfd243a_b.jpg

Once home, first order of Business was to get it running. I attempted again to get the car to run off some fresh gas in the tank but no luck. I will have to pull the tank before i get any love from that setup for sure.

14807788945_a646ae1e36_b.jpg

Problem resolved! i ran some fresh line from the fuel pump into a beer can and boom. The thing ran like a dream.

14827620993_0fc74a4eb8_b.jpg

Knowing i wouldnt be able to get far on 12 ounces, i brought out the big guns. and had to "unfortunately" drink a 24 ounce beer. So i'd have a larger gas tank. Taped it inside the rad support, and the car was ready for action!

14810530325_f0dc033f2e_b.jpg

I had some Unilug Dragways thankfully in the barn, as all my stuff is GM pattern. But after spending 48 dollars on lugnuts!!! (remember i got the car for 100 bucks. so it seemed ridiculous) i was able to get some wheels and tires on it and drive it off the trailer. No brakes. But the ebrake worked fine. Unfortunately my 14/15 combo of dragways wouldnt work, as the 14's didnt fit over the front discs on this Yacht. So i used the spare.. Original spare! that was in the trunk and we were good to go. I was so pissed that i couldn't get those 14's on the front, this car would have looked PERFECT with that combo of Dragways.

Here was the first drive , on 24 ounces of gas!

14807130311_d4ab34e2e4_b.jpg

Success!!

The engine sounded great, no rattles no knocks, just smooth and quiet, almost too quiet. This car has what someone informed me as an Economizer?? carb, 2 barrel pos. Lets just say the experience was as horrible as it sounds. I'm sure you could tune this thing to drive well, but it really does not like any amount of heavy throttle. I was able to do a small burnout however. So that was a good way to cap off the Adventure!

Thanks for following along.

Cheers
Sam.

and lastly a couple of pics of the cleanup. I started on the Top, and every swipe, i couldn't believe my eyes. I had to take a picture. This was just no name brand car wash soap and a sponge. No elbow grease.

Amazing!!
14787242596_46bb851449_b.jpg

Interior was also a simple case of a wipe down, nothing crazy, and it really came to life. The drivers door showed a little more wear, but still came up bright and fresh looking.
14623976337_ca3cba4b96_b.jpg

I had not vacuumed the carpet yet, as you can tell. But this was after wiping down the dash. Can you believe there isnt even a single crack in the dashpad?! :shock:
14810527925_b8908f3d5c_b.jpg

Front seats and arm rest after a wipe down. I must have lucked out.. there were rat turds all down between the low points of the seat stitching. The carpet has a spot that looks like it was chewed on, but i guess rats don't like white Vinyl?! :lol:
14830337263_436f4dd94e_b.jpg

Top cleaned off. If you look at the lower window you can see discolor in a few spots of the top, looks like rust to me. I was not expecting no rust in this area, but it really is tiny. I'm thinking about peeling back that part of the top, since its between 2 factor stitch points and catching the rust before it goes further. Since this car is going to be out and about now, i feel the rust will really take off if i don't do something before its too late. Any thoughts?
14623714107_cd6f44dc35_b.jpg

Seeing this picture really made me wish i could have got all 4 dragways on this car. They just totally look the part, me thinks.
14807882704_513af18b33_b.jpg

and there she is, after a quick soap and water bath.
14830074973_350b7238fc_b.jpg

14787504376_6086372844_b.jpg

14808136474_81f7d78609_b.jpg

It still really needs a good buffing, as in the bringt sun, it still has a little milkyness to it. But believe me, i am not complaining.

Over the moon with this find.
Cheers
Sam

realy nice score enjoy....have had realllll good results with SEM saddle soap for cleaning up seats and vynal

I do believe you are now on the highly honorable " you suck" list....

Very nice car..... You did well!! Very, very well

Looks like a great road trip you and your companions had!

Awesome how the car came out after cleaning! Good luck and have fun with your catch!

This has to be one of the best FCBO Feel Good Posts ever.
What a fantastic story with an awesome conclusion.
Seriously, congratulations man!!

[This story is what I joined this forum for!]

Last edited:
Yeah, you absolutely suck now!!! LOL CONGRATULATIONS. That's a mighty fine score you made there, mighty fine indeed. Love them fuselage cars.

Now there's an adventure you won't soon forget. Great job, and thanks for sharing.:3gears:

You are Number One on the "You Suck!" list...and that is a good thing! You got this beastie for a song, and it's freakin' gorgeous, to boot! It really looks amazing. Good on ya!

You understand that if you go to sell it and we catch it on CL, you go from our endearing "You suck" list to "scumbag flipper", right? LOL!!!

Posted via Topify on Android

realy nice score enjoy....have had realllll good results with SEM saddle soap for cleaning up seats and vynal
Thanks! Great tip, i will certainly pick some up, thank you!

Looks like a great road trip you and your companions had!

Awesome how the car came out after cleaning! Good luck and have fun with your catch!
Was a great time, the whole thing had such a great vibe to it. I don't know any of my friends or people i know at work, or anyone. Have adventures like this in life anymore. It truly is special

This has to be one of the best FCBO Feel Good Posts ever.
What a fantastic story with an awesome conclusion.
Seriously, congratulations man!!

[This story is what I joined this forum for!]

Thank you! I enjoy sharing this stuff with people who fully appreciate it. Glad to be here!! Thanks

Yeah, you absolutely suck now!!! LOL CONGRATULATIONS. That's a mighty fine score you made there, mighty fine indeed. Love them fuselage cars.

LOL, Yeah im just happy for it to be me for once, feels like not a day goes by where i don't her about someone else getting a deal of the century!

Now there's an adventure you won't soon forget. Great job, and thanks for sharing.:3gears:
You're welcome, glad to be here to share.

You are Number One on the "You Suck!" list...and that is a good thing! You got this beastie for a song, and it's freakin' gorgeous, to boot! It really looks amazing. Good on ya!
I still wish it was Pea soup green or Old Man brown, or any other cool 70's color, oppose to. Red. But honestly zero complains. Thanks!

You understand that if you go to sell it and we catch it on CL, you go from our endearing "You suck" list to "scumbag flipper", right? LOL!!!

Posted via Topify on Android

LOL!!!!! So i was talking to my girlfriend during the trip and was saying how hilarious it would be to Troll you guys and once i get it back , just be like "oh hey, by the way its for sale. 15k takes it" and just laugh at all the incoming hate. As i also hate people like that lol.

But its certainly safe with me for a while. Its to cool to NOT keep.

Great car .......... great story. I love an adventure like that.
I'm seeing a set of road wheels and whitewalls in the future. It looks like a sales brochure car.

Great car .......... great story. I love an adventure like that.
I'm seeing a set of road wheels and whitewalls in the future. It looks like a sales brochure car.

Thanks,

excuse my ignorance. What are road wheels? Im assuming steel wheels with the poverty style undersized hubcaps? i LOVE that look.

Thanks.

Thanks,

excuse my ignorance. What are road wheels? Im assuming steel wheels with the poverty style undersized hubcaps? i LOVE that look.

Thanks.

These are the road wheels used on the Fusey's in the 70's........... Aftermarket wheels don't even come close to looking as good.

painted wheels 3 (Large).JPG

road wheel (Large).jpg

300 in park (Large).jpg

Holy crap that looks great. You have a beauty. Congrads what a find.

Back