New Member - 71 Newport "barn find" clean car

swilling

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

name is Sam, checking in from Northern California. Last year i was working in Dallas. Someone at my work approached and said "you like old cars right?" As i have a couple of Poncho's ive restored/currently restoring.

I replied and said yes , and why was he asking.
Story goes that his Dad had sold the family property in Abeline TX (about 4 hours west from Dallas) and there was an "old car" that his dad needed to get rid of. Not being a car guy, the only description i received was "It's red, and it might be a big old ford?,i used to ride in it as a kid - its been parked for at least 20 years"

He said i was more than welcome to go take a look at it. That weekend (sometime April 2013) i decided to go on a roadtrip, purely out of boredom and curiosity. The entire trip out there with nothing but a post it note with an address, had my mind go through a thousand scenarios. What it was, condition? if it was something i liked , what would i have to pay for it, what would i do with it and where would i put it (temporarily living in Dallas) . The one i settled on was - I bet ill get there and its 4 tires leaning against what used to be a car, thats now a rusty planter.

4 hours of drinking coffee and pondering i arrived at a dirt driveway and pulled down off the road, It weaved through some trees and opened up to a house and a separate 2 car garage. Greeted by my workmates dad. At the spry age of 82. We talked quickly and he said it was his sisters car , that she bought new in 71. She seldom drove it, but loved it. She had passed away in the mid 90's, but had parked it in 1989/90 because "The air conditioning stopped working, and she didnt like driving it in Texas heat" I'm now more interested than ever, thinking this thing is way more complete than i expected. I asked him what it was and he said it was a Chrysler and said lets go take a look. We walked towards the garage. I'm expecting we are going to go around the garage and find it sitting in the weeds. Then he opens the garage! - My interest escalates even more. Because now in my head. Heres a one owner car, that drove into a garage 20 years ago and has not moved.

There was some stuff piled onto it, a few light boxes and some luggage bags, a couple of couches stacked around it and some plywood. So i wasnt able to see it straight away, but slowly unearthing it. I pulled some plywood from the side and saw the vinyl hard top and the fact it was a 2 door. I still didnt even really know what it was. But i already wanted it.

I've had a thing for 60's 70's Luxo boats for quite sometime, and always thought it would be a fun project to make a really cool cruiser . And sure enough this one just came out of nowhere.

Here is the first picture i took of the car - i really don't like the term Barn Find, as its very over used. But i have to say, the excitment of digging this thing out. Was kinda awesome.
8575400985_ca2cafb5ca_b.jpg

More walking around and inspecting... the thing was clean, and straight. I was just NOT expecting this.

8576478516_2a20d2c2b3_b.jpg

8576477140_8ae1dc6063_b.jpg

Everything was there , thats for sure.
8575400699_f86dd7f194_b.jpg

Interior showed wear, but that was it, nothing was broken or ripped.
8575399781_f7546a8724_b.jpg

8575399523_70aa2290d2_b.jpg

8575381687_5d184669b1_b.jpg

8576479092_297fc0e6b8_b.jpg

I also found this awesome vintage cooler in the trunk, Coors Banquet is my beer of choice, so i thought that was kinda cool.

8576476684_f1ef34bc9b_b.jpg

So by now it was pretty obvious that i needed this car. I had no idea what id do with it, or where id put it. But i wanted it. We talked and he was saying that the new owners were taking the property in 3 weeks time and he needed it out. Now im starting to wonder what he's going to want for it. I needed this car. but i didn't need it if he'd been watching Barret Jackson and gave the "Well, i saw this go for this.." speech. My favorite line of dialog from the day was "Well, i don't want the earth for it, but i also need something, otherwise it might aswel go to scrap. I figure.. A hundred bucks is fair?" Not being able to get my wallet out fast enough is probably the best description here.

The deal was done, he said he'd have the title next week. Now to figure out how to get it out of there and home. I went back the following weekend with some tools, oil, plugs, coil, battery, a case of fix a flat lol - the usual stuff. And after bumping it over by hand with a spec of oil down each cylinder and a fresh filter and oil change. I threw some gas down the carb and the thing fired second crank. !! Ran like a dream. for a few seconds. I wasnt able to get it to run off the fuel pump as i can only imagine the gas lines are blocked. My plan was to load it onto a uhual trailer and get it back home. I wasnt able to get it to run long enough to drive onto the trailer. I ran down to the local drug store, and with some jb weld and an enema bag, i was hoping to get a gravity fed gas reservoir working. But was not enough fuel pressure to keep the carb fed.

I called around and found a towing company that gave me a resonable quote to haul it out of there and back to my buddies place in Dallas, till i figured out what to do from there. Here it is rolling out into the world for the first time in nearly 2 and a half decades.

8688101826_71b31eb1d4_b.jpg

8686985193_dfb5c08d09_b.jpg

8688103018_9c8abb70e0_b.jpg

8688104518_3a8b958bcf_b.jpg

8686988801_b84ec6f00a_b.jpg

off it goes!

The car still is currently at my friends place in Dallas. I have some vacation coming up end of July. So my plan is to drive out there and rent a trailer, and haul it back. Then figure out what direction i want to take it. But very excited to be working on something a little less common. I'll definitely have some questions with you guys about Mopar specific stuff and really look forward to sharing the progress of the project, and any input you guys could help with.

First question! - will this fit on a Uhual Auto transport?
The only info on the car i could find is length - 224.6 in. width - 79.1 in -wheelbase - 124 in.

Uhual trailer specs - maximum outside-to-outside tire width of 79.25"
Must have a maximum wheelbase of 133 inches

The math says it should just fit. But i've seen a 66 impala on one of these Uhual trailers, it was a tight fit, and those cars are smaller than these Fuselage. Anyone had any experience? i don't want to get out there and be stuck. My only option loading it would be with a come along, not expecting it to be easy. But thats the plan.

Any advise would be great.

Thanks guys.
Cheers
Sam.

Great story! $100! Jesus. Amazing. Sounds like it's going to be a big pain to take it out of Texas. I'll take it off your hands and save you all that trouble for $200. 100 percent profit, how about that?! :)

And that's what a 44 year old car with 23,000 original miles on the clock looks like. Great story, great find. All it needs is a good wash and you're set. Oh, and welcome to the site, I hope we see a lot more of this Hot Red Mama!

A fantabulous barn find, eh Dave?? Congrats on your unbelievable score. I can only dream of stuff like that.

And yes I have hauled those on a U-Haul but you have to lie to them when you reserve it. Tell them you're towing a Fiat 500.

Posted via Topify on Android

Don't tease us, hose that puppy off and show us what you really have, it doesn't look that bad.

Alan

A fantabulous barn find, eh Dave?? Congrats on your unbelievable score. I can only dream of stuff like that.

And yes I have hauled those on a U-Haul but you have to lie to them when you reserve it. Tell them you're towing a Fiat 500.

Posted via Topify on Android

Gorgeous car..........:welcome: ..................

Its a garage Stan....not a barn

And that's what a 44 year old car with 23,000 original miles on the clock looks like. Great story, great find. All it needs is a good wash and you're set. Oh, and welcome to the site, I hope we see a lot more of this Hot Red Mama!

Thank you very much! Yeah i was surprised about the odometer. The body and engine bay say 23,000 but the interior seems to have heavy wear. No rips as i said, but enough to make me think 123... but then again. More investigation once i get the car back home in July. As for the red, i think i'm the only person who isnt that into it. Everyone says "Wow, and its awesome its not Pea soup green?" i actually kinda like 70's understated colors, greens and browns and such. We'll see thank you again!

YES! Just the info i was looking for, thank you very much! Yes i was also concerned mostly about telling them what the car was. Great to know!!

Thank you ALL for the warm welcome i really do appreciate it. As i said, being a Pontiac guy, i appreciate some of the more oddball cars oppose to your standard Camaros/Mustangs. I never expected a forum on these cars to be so active. You can guarantee i'll be doing a build thread here once i go back to Texas in July and bring it home.

One last question for you all. I am forever seeing pictures of bench seats in these cars.
This car looks like it has bucket seats from a challenger/cuda (very thin backrest) but the wear and color on the upholstery makes me think its stock. and also its something called a Royal ?not much info on these cars other than a flyer that dosent really say much. It appears to be a small block, so 318 ? 360?

thank you all again, very happy to be here and able to share this with you guys.
Cheers
Sam.

You've got a 360 under that hood. 71' saw the change from the 383 in prior years to the 360 as standard...and yes there is a "Royal" model...I think the Royal got the 360 as standard but not totally sure.

Welcome to the site from the Motor City! Nice find right there, congrats!

don't like red? i've got a standard newport '71 - honey dew yellow - with a 383 2bbl- i'll trade even-----just joking - great find - welcome to the site

Back