New member from Northern California

surfnturf

Reaction score
I just purchased my first C body Chrysler and received it today. I've owned several Mopar vehicles over the years ranging from 3 Cuda's and 1 Belvedere. This one by far is the nicest car I think I have ever owned or driven. Chrysler really pulled out all the stops when they designed and engineered this 1966 New Yorker. Everything is orginal on this car with the exception of one repaint about 6 years ago. It is fully documented at 36,901 original miles. I bought this to drive and enjoy, and my wife and I will be doing a cross country adventure in it next year and plan to drive it to Chicago taking the entire route 66 back to California. I'm looking forward to learning and sharing with you all on this forum over the many months to come!

IMG_6662.JPG

IMG_6667.JPG

IMG_6668.JPG

IMG_6669.JPG

IMG_6670.JPG

IMG_6672.JPG

You scored on that beauty - and really low miles too!! I hope you folks have a great adventure on your cross country journey - taking route 66 back will be a great plan since there is so much to see that is enticing.

Enjoy!

Beautiful car! Nice score.

One nitpicky item though: that chrome exhaust tip is not original. BUT! Since it isn't, add a second one on the other side!!

Beautiful car! Nice score.

One nitpicky item though: that chrome exhaust tip is not original. BUT! Since it isn't, add a second one on the other side!!
Thanks for pointing that out.. I thought that looked odd. Yes, dual exhaust is probably the only change that I will make to the car. I do want to make sure it looks correct, so I'm trying to find pictures of how that would look. Down turned tips?

Yup, can't beat the chromie Magnum 500s. However, in your case I might respectfully suggest a nice set of the factory correct 15" disc brake wheelcovers, ala my 66 T&C

20190521_174603.jpg

well thats not the only thing thats special about the budd disc brakes , the rim itself is special to clear those giant calipers .

well thats not the only thing thats special about the budd disc brakes , the rim itself is special to clear those giant calipers .
True enough - I assumed that knowlege was a given since to use those wheel covers he'd have to use 15" wheels. The actual disc conversion would come later, when the ubiquitous safety upgrades were happening!
:lol:

@surfnturf, it is highly recommended that you upgrade from the single pot master cylinder and drum brakes with the 14" wheels and tires I assume your car still has, and upgrade to a factory disc system with dual circuit master. You do need 15" wheels and tires though...

It's the single best safety improvement you can do, and there are factory engineered bolt on options and many here who can assist with that process.

Last edited:
True enough - I assumed that knowlege was a given since to use those wheel covers he'd have to use 15" wheels. The actual disc conversion would come later, when the ubiquitous safety upgrades were happening!
:lol:

@surfnturf, it is highly recommended that you upgrade from the single pot master cylinder and drum brakes with the 14" wheels and tires I assume your car still has, and upgrade to a factory disc system with dual circuit master. You do need 15" wheels and tires though...

It's the single best safety improvement you can do, and there are factory engineered bolt on options and many here who can assist with that process.
While this is my first C-Body, this isn't my first Mopar. Over the past 40 years, I've owned a 1970 Cuda, 1968 340 formula S Barracuda convertible, 1968 440 Notchback Barracuda, 1966 383 Belvedere and a 1966 bubble back barracuda. I'm very familiar with the benefits of disc brakes and dual circuit master brake cylinder. Upgrading the brakes in on my short list of improvements that I will be doing over the next year. Regardless this is a whole new animal for me as I have always been more focused on performance... but with this car, and now being in my 60's, it's more about safety, style and comfort. Thanks for all the advice and I'm sure I will be looking for more in the near future!

Welcome form Ohio
Road tripping is why I purchased a '65 Newport (aka Party Barge) a couple of years ago.
Second trip to Carlisle is coming up......
as Purchased: (Waldo Wisconsin)
1965-chrysler-newport (1).jpg

Old US 27 Tour 2022 (Northern Michigan)
IMG_1253.JPG

Beautiful acquisition. I’m new to Mopars, C Bodies and old cars. It seems that full size cruisers are hitting their stride.

Back