New member intro : '57 Desoto Firesweep

I have said for ten years my next car will be a 57-60 Dodge / Chrysler / DeSoto convertible........ That hasnt happened yet but before I die damn it!!

I have said for ten years my next car will be a 57-60 Dodge / Chrysler / DeSoto convertible........ That hasnt happened yet but before I die damn it!!

You missed your shot at Carlisle last July Dave. This car was on the swap field. Rough but complete and original.

forward look 8 (Large).jpg

I love the car and it sure will stand out once it is done, i see that it has the original single headlight option on it, which state did the car come from? I know that there was a few states where the single headlight was mandatory but i dont remember which ones.

One disaster at a time Will

I have a line of one waiting. Been there for thirteen years......

The car came from Iowa where it spent its entire life up to the time I got and and had it shipped to Texas. The car was stored for many years and fortunately has very little rust on the body or frame. The front floors have some rust through and I have purchased new floor pans that i will weld in soon. I wanted to get the car rolling and driveable before I got into the body and paint work plus the interior. I hope to find material for the seats that is close to original. The door panels and headliner are in very nice condition. I have done a number of cars over the years and I am very pleased to get a '57 Firesweep again. I was never a fan of the 4 headlamp option on the '57 and glad this one has two headlamps as my first one had. As mentioned earlier, it will not be of the caliber of that white 300C, but it will be a great driver for my wife and me. I have a pretty decent machine shop here at the house and can tackle just about anything related to the restoration. Thanks for the comments on the car and I'll try and keep posting updates for the project.

Beautiful cars and welcome to the site from the Motor City to the new guy.

Thanks for the info on sms. I will check them out.
sms is a great resorce for FL owners. The up side is that they have just about any upholstery material you will need. Send them a picture, or a sample and they will send samples of what they have avaliable.
The down side is that they tend to be very slow, so plan ahead. I've heard of some waiting a year for their stuff.

Here is another source for original upholstery. They are heavy on mopar stuff and are great folks to work with.
http://originalauto.com/

bluefury361: Thanks for the info on the upholstery supplier. I sent them an e-mail and hopefully, they will be able to help.

bulldogchesty: Thanks for the comment on the car. Lots of work to do, and I am sure enjoying it.

Brakes are getting put together. I finished the front and rear assemblies and now waiting on the new steel brake lines. They should be here early next week and I can then finish the brakes.
FRONT BRAKE ASSEMBLIES.jpgREAR BRAKE ASSEMBLIES (1).jpg

FRONT BRAKE ASSEMBLIES.jpg

REAR BRAKE ASSEMBLIES (1).jpg

They were the ones that were on the old shoes. I have seen them listed on e-bay though.

Back