New rear gears

carrman

Reaction score
Well decided to get the new diff with the 3.23 gears and Sure Trac 2 limited slip center section installed. This goes along with new axle bearings and seals. All parts were sourced from Dr. Diff. Had a new driveline made at Rob Brogles urging to get rid of the rubber isolated one the car came with. To that end had a new one fabbed up to utilize 1350 u-joints. Once the car got on the lift, we discovered the buddy seat mounting bolts were eating into the old driveline:
IMG_4269[1].JPG
IMG_4272[1].JPG
IMG_4280[1].JPG

Yup, gonna need to do some trimming. Then we found the exhaust was so tight the old driveline would barely come out and the new one wouldn't fit without some massaging:

IMG_4268[1].JPG

Still might need a visit at the muffler shop to have it adjusted more. Had a u-joint going bad also, it was getting ready to come out. They weren't that old but I guess the driveline yokes were kinda sloppy. I've had vibrations in that car for quite a while, and I'm hope this will deal with them once and for all.

Get those bolts out of the tunnel, that’s a recipe for disaster.

weld those brackets to the floor.

That's one heck of a driveshaft! Is that aluminum?

I agree to get thus bolts out of the tunnel or flip them over so the bolt head is on the bottom.

Those clearly are not the original bolts because there were no bolts originally. As mentioned above, if they were the other way around they may not interfere.

That's one heck of a driveshaft! Is that aluminum?

I agree to get thus bolts out of the tunnel or flip them over so the bolt head is on the bottom.
Driveshaft is a custom fabricated piece built locally. Bolts will be trimmed flush with the nuts.

Ok, cars done! So far really liking the new gear ratio. Lost the drivetrain vibrations it had, but it also brought out the engine vibration this 440 has always had. Little bit of whine on decel now but I expected that. We're thinking either harmonic balancer, but most likely the torque converter is not the right one for a forged crank 440.

Back