New (to me) '59 Imp

mpgmike

Reaction score
Just acquired a 1959 Imperial Crown Sedan. It was stored in a barn for 27 years before the guy I bought it from removed it from the barn. The engine was seized, so he rebuilt it (complete with hardened exhaust seats). He figured if the engine was bad, the tranny might just need rebuilt; so he did it as well. It has some rust, but not too bad. I got it for $2000 (less than he has in the engine, let alone the price of the car or tranny).

In addition to the sweet price tag, he is financing the $2000 for 2 months. Put a $500 deposit down. Picked the car up Saturday. Here are some pics. Side2_Web.jpgSide1_Web.jpgInsp1.jpgFront1_Web.jpgDoor1_Web.jpg

Side2_Web.jpg

Side1_Web.jpg

Insp1.jpg

Front1_Web.jpg

Door1_Web.jpg

Love the car. Congratulations.

But
he is financing the $2000 for 2 months.
can you afford this car? Hate to see it on CL in a few years as a ½ finished project.

I had a '59 parts car in the same color. It was hit hard (T boned) by a garbage truck. Many parts were used on my current '59 Custom Coupe and former '59 Imperial Conv. What is in the middle of the rear quarters on the pictures? a emblem of some sort added? I hope to have all eight of my cars at the local carshow I'm having this weekend ('59 Imperial Custon Coupe,'69 Grand Prix (9k miles) '78 New Yorker St Regis Coupe, '79 New Yorker,'66 olds Toronado,'70 Plymouth Fury (Pursuit) '04 Pontiac GTO and newest '62 Chrysler 300 conv.)

Hey You! Call the cops, this one got stolen! Seriously, 2k with a rebuild engine and trans, sounds like deal of the day! Congrats!

Hey You! Call the cops, this one got stolen! Seriously, 2k with a rebuild engine and trans, sounds like deal of the day! Congrats!

More like $500 :shruggy:. I'm with Stan on this one. If he's got to ask the seller to finance the $2K purchase price, my money is on a For Sale sign in the not too distant future. I hope I'm wrong, but I've seen it before.

Anythings possible even the resale scenario. I think its a deal for 2k, whats an engine rebuild cost these days? trans cost? Along with a free car..

More like $500 :shruggy:. I'm with Stan on this one. If he's got to ask the seller to finance the $2K purchase price, my money is on a For Sale sign in the not too distant future. I hope I'm wrong, but I've seen it before.

l think he'll have fun with it...sometimes its not the destination as it is the journey...bottom line someones interested in tryin to save a 4 door...kudos

Love the car. Congratulations.

But

can you afford this car? Hate to see it on CL in a few years as a ½ finished project.
I'm selling a 1989 Shelby Daytona; T-tops, leather interior, Radiant Silver (one of about a dozen). I'm also selling a 1985 Daytona Turbo with a slew of mods. These cars will go quite a ways to finance the Imp. Plus, I started a new career that will take off next year. Goal #1 is get it drivable, then fix things as we go.

I planned on new U-joints, brakes (all way around, including steel & rubber lines), carb rebuild, all tune-up parts, belts & hoses, and tires. Suspension parts will need to be checked, and possibly replaced. Light bulbs are more than suspect, as is the fuel tank & fuel lines. This comes in at between $1000 and $1500 in addition to the price of the car. While the engine is out, I'm looking at sand blasting & powder coating or painting many of the parts that are accessible now. I'm out-of-state for work right now. I don't expect to get to any sort of real work on the car until late July. Hopefully it is on the road by September (knowing me, try September of 2016!).

While perusing this fine forum I was reminded that motor mounts (& tranny mount) will most likely end up on the replacement list also. Oh, then there's the exhaust. I guess I should expect a minimum of $2k before taking the first spin around the block (which for us is about 5 miles).

I just replaced rear springs,shocks, all steering components, new axles bearings, and upgraded to front disc brakes on a 67 Fury III and am near $3000. I hope you've been saving for a rainy day because it's raining now.

Hey if you can finance the car for cheap and use the extra cash you didnt hafta throw down because of it and use it to buy stuff it needs, you're a hero in my book!!! You win dude!

I just replaced rear springs,shocks, all steering components, new axles bearings, and upgraded to front disc brakes on a 67 Fury III and am near $3000. I hope you've been saving for a rainy day because it's raining now.
Understand, you bought the expensive stuff. All that's good on this. I just need the cheap stuff, sans exhaust. Rear disc brake conversion probably ate up a significant percentage of the $3k. If I have mine long enough (some think I'll sell before really enjoying it), I'll probably get into the more expensive "upgrades". For now, just cheap replacement parts. Thanks for the interest, and good luck with your '67. Do you have a build page?

Crown four door hardtop, but not a sedan. Sedan would have a post between front and rear windows. Imperials were said to be "The most carefully built car in America," and I worry that if you're financing 2k, the slogan may as well be kaput on this one. Nice ride, take care of her.

Crown four door hardtop, but not a sedan. Sedan would have a post between front and rear windows. Imperials were said to be "The most carefully built car in America," and I worry that if you're financing 2k, the slogan may as well be kaput on this one. Nice ride, take care of her.
I'm not seeing where you are finding a hardtop. The car in this thread is clearly a sedan.
Concerning the financed purchase price, well everyone has to start somewhere and Rome wasn't built in a day. If some one thinks they are going to fully restore a Forwardlook Imperial overnight, great wads of money will be one of their lesser concerns.

Back