New to me 78 NYB on its way but please Don't tell my wife

Javiar,

Have you decided on a radio yet?

Also, you probably discovered that what ever you have for speakers are shot and if they still work sound like crap. The wiring for the factory speakers won't work for aftermarket you probably discovered by now. The ground wire on the factory speaker only has a single power wire going to each speaker. The ground wire goes from the speaker to ground. I used some decent pioneer speakers with a little sheet metal mods and I ran speakers wires to the front 2 speakers and the rear 2 speakers under the carpet and sill plates and snaked it through the rear seat to the trunk.

I think this was the only picture I took.

DSC02269.JPG

Javiar,

Have you decided on a radio yet?

Also, you probably discovered that what ever you have for speakers are shot and if they still work sound like crap. The wiring for the factory speakers won't work for aftermarket you probably discovered by now. The ground wire on the factory speaker only has a single power wire going to each speaker. The ground wire goes from the speaker to ground. I used some decent pioneer speakers with a little sheet metal mods and I ran speakers wires to the front 2 speakers and the rear 2 speakers under the carpet and sill plates and snaked it through the rear seat to the trunk.

I think this was the only picture I took.

View attachment 176141
Not there yet but I’m looking at a refurbished late model with blue tooth that will plug and play.

Speakers look ok. But you’re right, they sound terrible. The volume control on my original radio is shot. Any movement causes catastrophic crackle. Once settled they sound ok. I’m thinking it’s the radio. Before I close up the dash, I’ll mess with it some. New radio should be here today.

Oh oh....Bad news!!!! My evaporator core order was just cancelled. Out of stock they tell me. In other words - NLA maybe. Going through lists of other suppliers now.

Heater core still on its way. Bought a second hand under dash ATC II unit to take apart for other thread’s pictures. if the evap is good, at least I have a backup.

In all my years working on cars this is only the second evap I’ve ever seen go bad.

The first was when I was 18 and the condensate froze solid and broke it. I had deleted the EPR and was driving to Tampa when clouds of Freon came through the vents.

The second is this 78 NYB. You can bet I’ll be putting a temp sensor switch in the evap to cycle the compressor on this car.

Wish me luck!

Last edited:
Oh oh....Bad news!!!! My evaporator core order was just cancelled. Out of stock they tell me. In other words - NLA maybe. Going through lists of other suppliers now.

Heater core still on its way. Bought a second hand under dash ATC II unit to take apart for other thread’s pictures. if the evap is good, at least I have a backup.

In all my years working on cars this is only the second evap I’ve ever seen go bad.

The first was when I was 18 and it the condensate froze solid and broke it. I had deleted the EPR and was driving to Tampa when clouds of Freon came through the vents.

The second is this 78 NYB. You can bet I’ll be putting a temp sensor switch in the evap to cycle the compressor on this car.

Wish me luck!

I'm sure you can get an evaporator from one of the guys on www.wecrash.com

Found two supliers with Evaporator cores. One is even in Miami and says they have 11 of them. Waiting on refund to go and pick one up in the parts wagon.

Are those recycle plastic, or real? They certainly don’t build them like that when I was in school ..:BangHead:
He updated the pic... college girls are better... but I still feel a little creepy gawking at the under 30 crowd... not that it stops me entirely :D.

Thank you Kenny :thumbsup:

Got call from original order supplier. They located an evap and sent it along with the heater core yesterday. Hope it gets here soon!

The only thing that separates a horny old man from one thats not......

Death
LOL... I'm not immune, nor above any of it... the smokin hot thread has been ignored as I found it took too much time away from the cars and the pics had devolved into what I'd have expected to see in an old issue of Hot VWs... or the swimsuit issue of Honda Tuning :realcrazy:

I also find too young to be a bit repulsive, I just feel too much like Chester the Molester searching for a panty line there... A nice MILF is always a fine sight...:lol: and better if she's bending over an old Mopar :thumbsup:

LOL... I'm not immune, nor above any of it... the smokin hot thread has been ignored as I found it took too much time away from the cars and the pics had devolved into what I'd have expected to see in an old issue of Hot VWs... or the swimsuit issue of Honda Tuning :realcrazy:

I also find too young to be a bit repulsive, I just feel too much like Chester the Molester searching for a panty line there... A nice MILF is always a fine sight...:lol: and better if she's bending over an old Mopar :thumbsup:

The best thing about growing older is not just the wisdom it brings but the expanded field of fire it affords.

Also on is way for spares and other thread....

Javier.. you may have them already and haven’t had a chance to upload, but this thread is very intriguing since I may end up having to do exactly what you’re doing, can you upload some pictures of the dash area with that box belongs and also under the hood area from the Firewall view? Im a “color by numbers” kind a guy and pictures very helpful to me.
View attachment 176528

Tomorrow’s plan is to begin dismantling as much as I can to get to the evaporator and heater core without disabling the car. I need to be able to move the car around until I get all the parts in. Changing the evaporator will take the car out of action for a day or two.

Last edited:
Javier,

Let me join everyone else in thanking you for this thread. It gives me hope. Two questions: Where is the ATC II amplifier located on the vehicle, exactly? How do you reach it? And is it plug and play, that is, if it is deemed bad, how do you replace it?

Thanks

Peter (77 Newport)

Javier,

Let me join everyone else in thanking you for this thread. It gives me hope. Two questions: Where is the ATC II amplifier located on the vehicle, exactly? How do you reach it? And is it plug and play, that is, if it is deemed bad, how do you replace it?

Thanks

Peter (77 Newport)

I just did a little piece on just the amplifier on a parrallel thread I’m doing on just the ATC II.

What I learned about 74-78 ATC II

Back