New vinyl top and headliner

Now didn't someone ask for you to post some pictures of your car if I remember correctly???

Can you tell me if the correct headliner for that model is vinyl or cloth. I have to redo mine and it is currently vinyl and it doesn't look original. I thought the original was a white weaved fabric material but I could be wrong. Also, if it is vinyl is it solid or does it have a pattern of small holes cut into it? What did you originally have in your car?

Sorry-another question.Hope you don't mind but it helps when someone is restoring the same option package car. You said that you dyed your shag carpeting. How did that turn out because my shag carpeting is intact but could use some cleaning up and to use that spray dye just might be the trick. Did you use that vht spray dye on yours?

The original was a whitish weaved fabric with a small pattern of holes in it. Of course, mine was now an off white and extremely fragile to the touch. My interior guy and me went over the books to find a pattern that matched or closely matched. Then looked at the white to match that since the original had changed. Used a small piece hidden behind the sail panel for the color. The fabric reminded me of thin plastic and really cheap. My new one isn't cheap.

The carpet is a synthetic which is very hard to dye. After some research it came down to almost impossible in many cases. So I took some liquid RIT dye, poured 1/2 into a 1 1/2 qt pot along with 1/2 cup vinegar, then brought to a boil. Can't put carpet in pot or washing machine so I took a brush, with 2" bristles, and brushed the hot dye into the carpet. Let sit for 1/2 hour and then blotted the excess out with a sponge. Then let it dry a few days. This was for 1/2 of the carpet at a time. Not absolutely perfect on the faded areas but they were a lot closer to the non-faded areas. Once in the car it was harder to tell compared to out on the patio concrete in the sun. The sponge was thrown away since it was permanently black now.

Thanks for that info. When it comes time I think I might try that because the carpeting in our cars would be next to impossible to find and I want to keep it as original as possible.

That red medallion wheel cover- is that just an insert on the regular Polara custom wheel cover and is there some type of emblem on it. I can't seem to get a close up picture of it. I was wondering if there was some way of making that center and putting it on that wheel cover. Any way you could take a close-up pic and post it on this site? I love your car! That option package looks soooo cool. I saw a silver and white 2dr model about 10 years ago in PA at a show and that car was stunning-could not keep my eyes off it and the owner would not sell!!! Thanks

Find just one to borrow for a while and I'll tell you how to make as many as you want.
How much money do you have?

No safety issues with this part at least, don't think it'll chop somebody's head off when this thing flies away while cornering hard. :)

Same with the road wheel center cap that clips in to the center. Four pretty big projectiles in a high speed crash.

hubcap567.jpg

Just thinking about the 8 or so full wheel covers flying around in Bullitt and how many times I was looking for them on my 60 Bel Air I once had, only didn't find it once and they were never damaged.

hubcap567.jpg

I believe they lost more than a dozen wheel covers while filming the chase scene in the movie French Connection.......but the car had all 4 wheel covers on the car at the end of the chase. LOL!

That red medallion wheel cover- is that just an insert on the regular Polara custom wheel cover and is there some type of emblem on it. I can't seem to get a close up picture of it. I was wondering if there was some way of making that center and putting it on that wheel cover. Any way you could take a close-up pic and post it on this site? I love your car! That option package looks soooo cool. I saw a silver and white 2dr model about 10 years ago in PA at a show and that car was stunning-could not keep my eyes off it and the owner would not sell!!! Thanks

I'll take a picture when around the car. However, the red center is just an insert. The standard black center and red center are the same in all respects except the background color and sit behind clear plastic.

Back