Newport roller

Rustyrodknocker

Reaction score
I need to move a 65 newport in the near future.
It has been apart for years, motor and trans is out.
The owner had to unload the torsion bars and maybe pull the cross member.
I'm looking for some help determining what I need to get done to make it loadable on a trailer.
I am short on time and it is going to be a job to get it out of the shop and spun to get on a trailer.
I could maybe go out ahead and do some prep work but would rather get it done in one trip.
There is parts to be loaded as well. Which I may leave for later.
I have exactly zero hours experience wrenching on slabs with the exception of part of a day helping get this car ready for a motor pull 15 years ago. When I ended up getting something in my eye that required a doctor to remove. So I remember nothing from back then.

Any advice for this situastion? If you had to drive a ways to do this what would you be thinking?

With the bars "unloaded" or removed, the inner pivot of the lower control arm might well still be intact and operational. Meaning that the lower control arm bumper would be determining what the front suspension height would be (fully compressed at the top of the wheel's travel). If the bars are still installed, then just crank them up enough to raise the car to approx normal ride height.

Worst case scenario, it might be best to contract a roll-back tow truck and load it rear end first, for best results? Otherwise, you might need a floor jack under the crossmember at some point in the trailer-loading to get the front end high enough for the rocker panels to clear about 1/2 way onto the trailer, possibly (if the bars are not installed).

Jusr some thoughts,
CBODY67

I'm not real familiar with the 1965 cars other than the New Yorkers, but I'm going to guess that it has the rubber isolated rear torsion bar mount, and that's why the bars were unloaded to remove the cross member. I'm also going to guess that the lower control arm pivots are still bolted in place. If so, you should be able to just jack the front end up and wedge something like a chunk of wood between the frame and control arm to get the front end to sit somewhere close to normal ride height.

Jeff

get it out of the shop and spun to get on a trailer.

Is the trailer short?

I've loaded cars with no engines on trailers backwards, in fact, I've even preferred to do that when it looked like that was the best to keep the weight bias forward on the trailer. If the trailer is long enough, that's a good way to load.

Just trying to save a step...

Is the trailer short?

I've loaded cars with no engines on trailers backwards, in fact, I've even preferred to do that when it looked like that was the best to keep the weight bias forward on the trailer. If the trailer is long enough, that's a good way to load.

Just trying to save a step...

That's what I was thinking about doing.
I can then put the parts in the trunk.

No drama, got it out of there and on a dolly.
Backing it up on the gravel at storage was another
Story.
20210314_105815.jpg

Back