No headlights, but all brights work

LocuMob

Fluid Technician with a hat
Reaction score
My headlights didn't work after I replace my grille on the Polara after hitting the deer last year. I put in a complete grille w/ lights in it and thought they were bad. Picked up some halogens and went to check them and they don't work. All my lights work when switched to brights. My headlights worked fine before the deer incident. For now I'm unplugging the high beams and using the outer bulbs on high, but I would like to remedy this situation.

I do have faulty turn signals but I wouldn't think that would affect this since they are different systems. This occurred before the deer. The fuses look to be good, but I don't know which one to check since the markings are mostly gone. As always, any and all help appreciated.

My headlights didn't work after I replace my grille on the Polara after hitting the deer last year. I put in a complete grille w/ lights in it and thought they were bad. Picked up some halogens and went to check them and they don't work. All my lights work when switched to brights. My headlights worked fine before the deer incident. For now I'm unplugging the high beams and using the outer bulbs on high, but I would like to remedy this situation.

I do have faulty turn signals but I wouldn't think that would affect this since they are different systems. This occurred before the deer. The fuses look to be good, but I don't know which one to check since the markings are mostly gone. As always, any and all help appreciated.

Make sure all the ground wires are attached to the core support.
If the harness wasn't disconnected then that isn't the problem.
The dimmer switch might be bad.

Unplug the connector at the headlight that is in question and check it with a meter, use the ground to the battery or the frame not the connector.

If the highbeam in the same connector is working it isn't a ground issue and I would look further into the switch (on the floor)

Alan

I agree that it's a good chance the dimmer switch doesn't work.

I might have to wait a while to fix it, I had some cartilage removed from my knee, so I don't have full range of motion on the left side. I suppose I could sit on the ground and try to fix it. Is it pretty simple/straightforward?

You need to pull the kick panel (one screw) and pull back the carpet.
The switch is attached to the floor with a couple screws.
There is a plug on the swithc that you can undo for testing.

Alan

I already have the kick panel off so I'm halfway there! I'll check it out tomorrow afternoon.

Not that its related but i had the same symptoms on my 68 d100, no low beams only high. Replaced the switch and yup now I've got low beams.

Got a new switch, threw it in and got the same results. Unplugged the high beams and lost ALL headlights, no brights no nothing. Still have taillights. It looks like I'll be chasing wiring issues. Yay fun.

Got a new switch, threw it in and got the same results. Unplugged the high beams and lost ALL headlights, no brights no nothing. Still have taillights. It looks like I'll be chasing wiring issues. Yay fun.

I had that happen to me once. It turned out that both the low beam elements in the seal beams were bad, high beams worked. Unlikely, but true.

With a test light check current both in and out of the dimmer switch. If OK then check at the seal beam connection. If no current there then there is an open in that circuit between the dimmer and the low beam connector. If current is present at the seal beam connector then replace the seal beams.

Drove the car home from work this morning in a drizzle, not lights as I left. A few blocks away from home the lights (all 4) come on as I approach a stop sign. I tried wiggling the connectors at the bulbs before I left. Still no regular beams. Bad ground? The switch is tight to the floor. Short in the wiring? The headlights pulsed when I used them before this happened, but they worked.

Get a wiring diagram and follow the circuit through with a volt meter or a test light.

The fact that you have one and not the other eliminates a bunch.

That being said:

The circuit splits at the dimmer switch on the floor.

Those wires go to the bulkhead connector (check that connection under the hood)

From there to the lamps.

Check all the grounds, they will play funny games if not good. I had the dual bulbs on my Polara acting like wig-wags (had the right turn signal on but the two bulbs in the right rear taillight were blinking alternately), took a little but found the problem.

Alan

I can't do this stuff without a wiring diagram that I can write on.
Within a minute it becomes crystal clear where the problem is coming from.

On my truck I took the diagrams and highlighted the circuit for each system on the truck.
70wire-High%20Beams.png

Alan

That's how it's done.
I had umpteen problems under the dash in my Newport.
I'd print out a B&W, circle what wasn't working, and drew pretty colored lines from it and Eureka...

Posted via Topify on Android

Back