Not A "C" Body but Stan Look At The Wheels.

I believe that that wagons were Chrysler wagons with the Plymouth Nose.

Nick

Nope, they were Dodge wagons with Plymouth Grilles.

3925061152_330f53786f_z.jpg

dodge%20diplomat%201981.jpg

Nope, they were Dodge wagons with Plymouth Grilles.

This seems to have been common practice with Canadian built cars at least till back to the 50s. I saw sometimes references to them as being called "Plodges" in common language.

1957%20Dodge%20_Cdn_-04.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a local Dodge dealer ad I recently found from up here in Canada:

dodge_ad.jpg

I think Chrysler Canada used all sorts of parts-bin trickery. Plymouth interiors in Dodge bodies, Plymouth engines in Dodge chassis, yu name it. It would have been all about trying to meet a lower price point. Then and even now, Canadian love cheap cars. In the '50s and '60s though, the income levels here were somewhat lower than in the USA, making a low priced car a necessity.

dodge_ad.jpg

Here's a local Dodge dealer ad I recently found from up here in Canada:

View attachment 9446

I think Chrysler Canada used all sorts of parts-bin trickery. Plymouth interiors in Dodge bodies, Plymouth engines in Dodge chassis, yu name it. It would have been all about trying to meet a lower price point. Then and even now, Canadian love cheap cars. In the '50s and '60s though, the income levels here were somewhat lower than in the USA, making a low priced car a necessity.

Depending on where you lived, you could get that Plymouth body with a Plymouth, Dodge or DeSoto front end on it.

Wasn't it a matter of who you were?
Carsten would argue, I think, that because there were no boxes to check off on the option sheet for choice of front ends, you are wrong.

Depending on where you lived, you could get that Plymouth body with a Plymouth, Dodge or DeSoto front end on it.

Absolutly correct. Everywhere except the US you could get the Dodge Kingsway (Mayfair) and Desoto Diplomat which were Plymouths with a Desoto/Dodge front end till 1959. They were distributet from Chrysler Western Hemisphere. Some regular Dodges and Desotos were available, too. Starting with the 1960 models it didn't work out anymore

Last edited:
ok, new try:
I can't speak for the whole world but in europe you could get them all three at the same time in all countries if your country sold Mopars as "new" cars officially.

till 1956 they changed just the grill, trim and some batching on the Plymouths. From 1957-1959 they changed the front clip, in 1960 all they did was the namescript on the Desoto (they were 1960 Darts)

Bought me another Wagon today. It's a 1981 Plymouth Carevelle. It's the Canadian version of a Dodge Diplomat I guess. Speedo is in Kilometers and underhood stickers are in English and French. Runs and drives great and has ice cols A/C, a neccesity here in Arizona. Here's some pictures.
View attachment 9127View attachment 9128View attachment 9129View attachment 9130View attachment 9131

Canada had Diplomats for the Dodge dealers, and Caravelles for the Plymouth dealers. All dealers in Canada sold Chrysler in combination with either D or P. There were a few that sold all three.

Not only is the speedo in kms, so is the odo.

Back