Oil pressure

70NPORT

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
This is going to sound silly but this is nawing at me and I gotta know what others think after all that's what forums are for right?:beermug:

I just installed Sunpro oil gauge (mechanical gauge) under the dashboard (I don't trust "check oil light" for obvious reasons). So here's whats bugging me - the dang gauge reads between 20-25 psi at idle and 45-50psi tops, at about or around 3000 RPMs. If I recall correctly oil press should be about between 45low & 65high (need to check my shop manual fer sure).

The 383 (1970) runs absolutely great (aside from trying to tune the carb perfectly). It NEVER overheats and constantly runs between 190-195 degrees at any speed....it's full of Quakerstate "Defy" motor oil (zinc additive) and has never displayed any overheating or audible or visual low oil press issues (lifter chatter, high temp, knocking, yada, yada, and it doesn't leak a drop either. On the highway it runs strong and smooth, I'm really satisfied how it has turned out.

Should get my hard earned bread back on the gauge OR is this not outside the realm of possibility for which I otherwise believe is a sound/healthy 383?? Love to hear yer thoughts :eusa_eh:

(yeh, I know its a 440 pie tin, until I score a 383 it'll have to due) :angry9:

IMG_5093.jpg

IMG_5167.jpg

Sounds normal to me. My F100 has an oil gauge and during start up it runs 60 psi till warm and idle lowered. Freeway at 60mph and I have 50 psi and at idles just above 20 psi.

Yep, sounds normal to me, especially if you are happy with the overall performance of the engine.

Thanks guys for the reassurance. I think it Just goes to show a low compression, 2bbl carb, "B" motor will respond to a freshening up and the right MOPAR HiPo goodies....oh and I found out for sure there is indeed a sure grip living under the back of the car....two long black strips of tread behind me,hahaha.

Seriously though, what of those factory numbers (45-65) in the service manual? Are those the numbers to look for in "brand new" or tighter engines?

Back