OK. Who did their own BB heads...

Just don't use the oil they have out there now you have to use what has become special oil for these cars now if it has the api doughnut on the back and sn standard I would only put it in new cars

Pretty hard to wipe a lobe at 76k miles. They wipe by 4,000 mi. or never. Back then, they never wiped.
Today's replacements: 25% chance.
I'm going to get a bucket of kero, pump them clean, then pump them full in a barrel of lightweight oil.
I'll test fit them by hand and if they slide in and out.......

I use Brad Penn 10W30 in my NYB...

41hoImCjkXL._SY300_.jpg

Pretty hard to wipe a lobe at 76k miles. They wipe by 4,000 mi. or never. Back then, they never wiped.
Today's replacements: 25% chance.
I'm going to get a bucket of kero, pump them clean, then pump them full in a barrel of lightweight oil.
I'll test fit them by hand and if they slide in and out.......

Be sure to check the faces of the lifter too. No dishing or noticeable wear. Should be convex, not concave. Lot's if good assembly lube too.

I'm not liking putting the used lifters back, only because of the mixing... but chances are it will work. You make a good point about the old lifters being better than the new lifters. I agree there.

Myself, I'm kind of anal about cams and lifters. Like I wouldn't use a used cam in a different engine. I believe that the cam and lifters wear together based on how the tappet bores were machined. I like to see the used lifters back in the same bore, using the same engine block etc. I really don't like new lifters on a used cam either... again, that's me being anal again. People do all kinds of things and it quite often works.... and sometimes it backfires too. I've built a bunch of engines over the years and never had a cam failure either... so my way does work for me.

I'm not a oil expert but its a 2 fold problem the way I understand it the new oil doesn't have enough zinc, (zddp) but you can't just add that to new oils because the detergent formula changed, and it breaks down the zinc that you added so your cam might not wipe right away, the zinc you add will hold out for a while but the detergents then break it down and your back to a raw/exposed surface on the lobe. Stan I would say that with 76000 and if you didn't change the springs to over 300# over the nose you should be fine. My 2 cents

I'm not a oil expert but its a 2 fold problem the way I understand it the new oil doesn't have enough zinc, (zddp) but you can't just add that to new oils because the detergent formula changed, and it breaks down the zinc that you added so your cam might not wipe right away, the zinc you add will hold out for a while but the detergents then break it down and your back to a raw/exposed surface on the lobe. Stan I would say that with 76000 and if you didn't change the springs to over 300# over the nose you should be fine. My 2 cents

I hadn't read about using the additive not working, but truthfully I'm not surprised. I have used diesel oil in the past but the zinc level has dropped with that also.

I guess it comes down to we are driving some pretty old cars I'm sure the guys with original model t's were probably facing problems in the early 70 's when our cars were the new ones.

I guess it comes down to we are driving some pretty old cars I'm sure the guys with original model t's were probably facing problems in the early 70 's when our cars were the new ones.

Interesting you say that.

The older cars (like the model T) were made to run on crap gas and non-detergent oil. What people don't know is that you did valve jobs every 10K miles and things like that.

When I took my 53 Chrysler engine apart, I was amazed at the sludge that was in the bottom of the pan. Non detergent oil was the culprit. The factory actually figured on it happening, so the the oil pickup was hinged to allow the crap to build up and the pickup to "float" on top of it. The other thing was it had hardened valve seats... Leaded gas wasn't the norm yet.

From what I've read, the older engines aren't as dependent on the zinc. I think it's because you don't have the valve seat pressure, valve lift or the capacity for high RPM either.

From what I have read both zddp and tetraeythel lead ( not sure on spelling been a while since seeing the side of an old gas pump) were both devoloped on the thirties and with advancmets made during WWII set things up to get the compression up-lead and be able to increase loads on parts in engines with zinc. Thats amazing a floating pick-up to stay ontop of sludge!!!!! BTW is that your dog in your avatar?

Last edited:
At carlisle this year Lake Speed jr. gave a seminar on oils. ( I think he works for joe gibbs oil) it was pretty informative without being overly product pushy explaining a lot about what is happening with oil.

From what I have read both zddp and tetraeythel lead ( not sure on spelling been a while since seeing the side of an old gas pump) were both devoloped on the thirties and with advancmets made during WWII set things up to get the compression up-lead and be able to increase loads on parts in engines with zinc. Thats amazing a floating pick-up to stay ontop of sludge!!!!! BTW is that your dog in your avatar?

True, it was developed then. The flathead engine is pretty much the same engine from the thirties and forties when leaded gas wasn't the norm. Amaco gas was always advertised as "lead free" and was popular into the seventies around here.

No, not my dog. Here's my dog, Dino, a Great Dane. We had another Dane too, but lost him a couple months ago.

10508004.jpg

Thanks I was just curious, bummer about your other dog, we just lost one middle of august, hit by truck, now we have a rescue dog that doesn't like me, it never ends around here.

Back