Old Dealer Codes

Alright to resurrect this thread from the dead?
FCA Historical only goes up to 67, while I have a 68 Newport, so while this is probably futile, unless someone knows something I'll put it here anyways since I'm interested
My 68 Newport came with the original warranty information along with owner's manual. Has all the dealer/owner info.

Delivery date: Jan 20th, 1968
Authorized Selling Dealer: Motor Service Sales Co., Inc.
Dealer account number: 07337
City: North Wilkesboro, N. C.

I actually looked on digitalnc.org and for my town they had a directory for address and buisness names - I looked there and pinpointed the location of this dealer towards "416 Main St, North Wilkesboro, NC 28659", but what interested me is how in the post above, for Winston-Salem, the business had the same name as mine, despite being around 30 minutes away from me.

To better answer your question, you'll have to discover what the prior dealership in your town was. IF that dealer had been closed by Chrysler MID, for whatever reason, the listed selling dealer could have purchased it and used their then-current dealer code to operate with until such a time that the dealership was profitable again and was later sold to a new dealer-principal/operator.

For example, my '80 Newport was ordered and physically at a dealership in Midland, TX, which closed sometime in 1980. Fenner Tubbs in Lubbock, TX took on the dealership and all sales documents will have THEIR name on them, rather than Mr. Nickle's dealership name or dealer code. After the Fenner Tubbs group had liquidated all of the existing inventory, gotten everything "cleaned up", then MID would come in and find a new owner for the dealership.

"MID" was Chrysler's "Marketing and Internal Development" Division. They would come in and purchase poorly-performing/floundering dealerships, take then over for about 90 days, put a management team in place to get the dealership profitable again, so it could be re-sold as a good operation. They tended to be somewhat busy in the 1970s-era, as I recall, from the number of changed dealership names back then.

Not sure if that might explain your situation,
CBODY67

I actually found it on the NC's Secretary of State search: Motor Service Sales Company of North Wilkesboro Incorporated.

it was created on 8/26/1937, was suspended for lost revenue on 4/1/1943, reinstated following 'revenue suspension' on 11/7/1944, and was closed on 4/2/1994.
Was a Chrysler/Plymouth dealership. Actually has the board members of it as well listed here, am interested if they're still alive or would have relatives that would have access to the dealer paperwork from those days.

In many cases, dealership archived paperwork was usually "moved" when file space became overloaded. Back then, it was "just paper" that was not needed after the statutory time it had to be retained. There might have been some various memorabilia (key chains, etc.) that might have been retained, but probably not much, by observation. Just a representation and little more. IF some of the files might still exist somewhere, it would usually be the "desirees" task to find them? And this is with dealerships that are still around, much less one which has been closed for many decades, by observation.

IF you might desire to seek to track some of the relatives down to ask them about the archives, there are online "people search" entities that can do that for a monthly fee. But, some of their information might not completely accurate, from what I've seen. Of course, you can always do a Google search for the board members' obits.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

... Motor Service Sales Company of North Wilkesboro Incorporated.

... created on 8/26/1937

That must be the date of incorporation.

The relationship with Chrysler originated in March, 1934. Here's an ad from October, 1935:

MotorServiceSalesNorthWilkesboro.jpg

That looks to be the case.
The address on the ad is also different - some place on 9th Street vs the official location of Main and 5th, which is the building seen from the google maps link above.
I still wonder if there's any link to the Winston-Salem dealer, or if it's a coincidence?

Odds are they moved locations. Most dealers from the 30s moved to a bigger location at some point.

image.jpeg
My 61 Fury is in the Darrel Davis book on 61s plymouths.
It lists the dealer code in his work,but does not list location.
I believe the car was delivered in Northern California where I got it.
The original owner was supposed to be a excutive at Plymouth in 61.
Highly optioned Im only guessing,but perhaps a dealer show car in 61?

The dealer code 10001 Kinda of a odd dealer number. Can anybody help with ID of number.

I have gone through the lists on this thread with no luck.
I went through a small list on FWD Look with no luck.
Anyone have suggestions as to where to search for dealer numbers?

My 61 Fury is in the Darrel Davis book on 61s plymouths.
It lists the dealer code in his work,but does not list location.
I believe the car was delivered in Northern California where I got it.
The original owner was supposed to be a excutive at Plymouth in 61.
Highly optioned Im only guessing,but perhaps a dealer show car in 61?

The dealer code 10001. Kinda of a odd dealer number. Can anybody help with ID of number.

Five-digit dealership codes starting with "1" are a rare sight. Here are the only ones I stumbled upon:

12003 (region 15) Chrysler Corporation Fleet Div Employee Lease, Detroit, Michigan (CS43T8C119562)
16000 (region 12)
17000 (region 12)
17991 Automotive Precheck Corp., 12140 E. Slauson, Santa Fe Springs, CA (Automotive Precheck Corp's are 17991-17999, they were a place Chrysler would send show cars to prep them for special delivery)

Probably there is some connection between code 10001 and the fact that the original owner was an executive.

My first Polara has dealer code 17000 on the IBM card.

IMG_20190430_122841.jpg

But that dealer number is not known, according to FCA Historical.

IMG_20190430_122825~2.jpg

What a bummer! I haven't got anything in the 26000-35000 range.

Where did you find that 33899 dealer code?

What a bummer! I haven't got anything in the 26000-35000 range.

Where did you find that 33899 dealer code?
PeugFra,

Sorry about the delay in getting this to you. Tried it in a PM but it came out as spam.

The only dealerships that I have listed in Mt Airy are:

#24022, Patterson Jeep-Eagle, 1935 Rockford St. Mt Airy 27030

#24022, Patterson & Associates, DBA Patterson Chrysler Dodge Jeep, 538 N. Andy Griffith Pkwy, Mt. Airy 27030

I think the last date on both Pattersons was 1989.

I checked the cities around Mt Airy and only came up with one dealership in Pilot Mountain which is close.

#43782, Foothill Chrysler-Plymouth-Dodge, PO Box 68, Highway 52 & Cook Sch, Pilot Mountain 27041

Back