Paint stripe over chrome

Dave Baro

Reaction score
Help!
I just re-chromed my 66' 300 tail light bezels. There is a quarter-inch black satin stripe on the lower bezel that I'm having a hard time getting to adhere to the chrome. What is an effective way of painting this stripe?

Why don't you try using vinyl like the stripes are made of. 3m Vinyl can easily be cut with an exacto knife. You could also make a pattern and have a sign shop that does vinyl letters make it for you.

Help!
I just re-chromed my 66' 300 tail light bezels. There is a quarter-inch black satin stripe on the lower bezel that I'm having a hard time getting to adhere to the chrome. What is an effective way of painting this stripe?

Hey! Who did your re-chrome job? I'm looking to get my '66 tail light bezels done too. And if you don't mind telling me, what did it cost, and are you happy with the result?

Vinyl is interesting solution. I will look into that, however I’d still like to paint it (preferably without scuffing the chrome). I took my bezels and rear bumper to SpaceCoast Plating in Melbourne, FL. They took out a small dent in the bumper and it looks close to 100%. The bezels had a lot of pitting and I’d say they’re 95-98%. So overall, I’m happy. I’m embarrassed to say it was close to $2700 for 2 bezels, repaired bumper and trunk trim piece. One piece of advise about the two-piece bezels: Take apart and work the pieces so fit well before chrome.

I had the same on my '68 Polara. I found that the SEM trim black paint worked the best. I used it on my chrome hood mounted turn indicators which were the most difficult. And I used it in the top of my re-chromed tail light bezels. You have to make sure it is cleaned really good with painting prep to make sure there is no wax or residue. You have to hit it a number of times with light coats. The first very light.
41EB4C39-513F-4155-88A0-88BC663AEBAB.jpeg
C90CF521-BBFC-49A3-A156-8A8AD45EF7D1.jpeg
9510DC24-AAF0-465B-8A23-C28F29034580.jpeg

I've had good luck painting chrome with Duplicolor engine enamel. Also used Testor model car enamel a time or two.

I've also done it with vinyl and I'll say that is the best and most long lasting solution. The paint will eventually chip, but if it's on the rear, you probably won't have a problem. Just clean them real well with something like alcohol to remove any waxes,polishes or oils.

Thanks Big John. I was more successful second time by using a primer and cleaning more carefully. I didn’t scuff or sand the chrome. We’ll see if it adheres or not.

Thanks Big John. I was more successful second time by using a primer and cleaning more carefully. I didn’t scuff or sand the chrome. We’ll see if it adheres or not.
Cleaning is the key. Acetone is my favorite for that.

Vinyl is interesting solution. I will look into that, however I’d still like to paint it (preferably without scuffing the chrome). I took my bezels and rear bumper to SpaceCoast Plating in Melbourne, FL. They took out a small dent in the bumper and it looks close to 100%. The bezels had a lot of pitting and I’d say they’re 95-98%. So overall, I’m happy. I’m embarrassed to say it was close to $2700 for 2 bezels, repaired bumper and trunk trim piece. One piece of advise about the two-piece bezels: Take apart and work the pieces so fit well before chrome.

Dave: Did that $2700 price also include re-chroming the bumper, as well as the other pieces?

D56CB171-B1A5-4F90-9AFB-93D0F9857396.jpeg
E105EEF3-B3B4-42BF-B1BA-FFB1CE4B9BFC.jpeg
Ripinator,
Sorry to have not broken that price down. It was $1020 for the bezels (they needed a good amount of work due to heavy pitting) and about $900 for the bumper. Also had very rough back-up light bezels and trunk lid trim in there.
E105EEF3-B3B4-42BF-B1BA-FFB1CE4B9BFC.jpeg

These will give you a general idea of their workmanship. Sorry about the double photo.

Back