pickle fork on upper ball joint?

saylor

Reaction score
is this supposed to work? is there any secret to making it let go? like raise the arm up some, or let the arm all the way down, anything? Vaseline?

I got the castle nut off and hammered a fork under the ball for hours, nothing is popping it out from the spindle.

haaaalllp!

- saylor

Get the pickle fork jammed in hard, then take your BFH and give the knuckle a sharp rap on the side where the stud goes through. This distorts the hole very slightly and lets it release.

Seems like a lot of Mopars have pickle fork resistant ball joints. Bet he's going to have to nuclear. Would be sweet if the fork does it but I ain't holding my breath.

Posted via Topify on Android

Put the nut back on 3-4 threads with weight off suspension (smashing the UCA bump stop), take BFH smack spindle in toward center of car and a little downward right below ball joint seal, the pressure of t-bar and the shock of your hit will get the taper to let go.

I like to use pickle forks on an air hammer and then beat on stuff with a BFH. Everything usually comes apart really quick.
image.jpg

image.jpg

All the parts car front ends I have pulled apart 5 Total and my own 68 fury. I have used a pickle fork on the upper and lower ball joints. You have to get the fork between the ball joint and spindle assembly. If it goes in cocked it won't release. I used a 5lbs sledge hammer on the uppers and lowers. Get the fork where you want it and drive it in. It helps to use some penetrating spray. There a tight fit, and over the years they get stuck. Be sure you drive in under the grease boot.

Back